Canon Eos 5d

The Vulcan

I've just stepped up from a 20D to a 5D and am experiencing vignetting on my shots.

I'm using the old style "L" lenses i.e. Canon 28-80 "L" zoom and Canon 80-200 "L" zoom. Both these lenses are in mint condition.

Initially I suspected it was the lens hoods and lens filters; removed them and the problem is still there.

I suspect it may be the additional coverage I'm getting from the full frame 5D, or the limitations of the old "L" lens coverage

This problem was never evident on the 20D.

Has anybody any clues to this?

Thank you in advance

I also have an EOS 5D with four EF-L lenses but I only see vignetting at frame corners with EF24-105mm F/4L. But this is pretty common with a lens with over 4X manification ratio like this and it really is a lens issue rathern than camera. And it can be corrected by software. Judging from the focal length I am assuming the lenses you are using are from pre-digital SLR era and I'd just replace them with newer lenses if I were you. I have EF24-70mm F/2.8L and EF70-200mm F/2.8L too and I've never seen any vignetting with these lenses.

Edited by Nordlys

Thank you all for your responses - very helpful.

"Nordlys" - you are correct in assuming pre-digital lenses and I fear this is the root cause of the problem.

Again, thank you all

What Digital Camera a UK photographic magazine tested the camera and the summary I quote "From pro's to enthusiasts the EOS 5D's full-frame sensor lets you get the most from your wide angle lenses. There are mixed reports of quite severe vignetting though--some camera's seem to do it -- others don't."

Unfortunately although a known reported problem I could not find any solutions recorded anywhere in any of my photographic magazines or on any of my known internet links.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

It's not pre digital lenses...there are tons of pre digital lenses that are great. The problem is with your lenses. They're not very good. Even the best lenses will vignette slightly...typically more so at the ends...so wide and at full tele. Good lenses do it less, but will still do it. Lenses were reviewed for vignetting long before the 5D and these lenses did it on full frame 35mm cameras too. Crop sensors don't read that part of the lens and don't show you...but it's still there.

Shoot raw and you have the option of easily sliding the vignette away. I'm typically adding more so it's not a problem :o Also try shooting with primes. Some have very good vignetting control. But don't expect miracles. Even the newer lenses like 24-105IS and 16-35MKII still vignette at the ends.

Paul

It is a pre-digital lens issue. EF-28-70mm F/2.8 is known to be as good a lens on film camera as EF24-70mm F/2.8. Some of the older lenses from film-only era are known to cause more diffraction and aberration with digital SLR than film SLR. Lenses like EF24-70mm F/2.8, EF40-70mm F/4, EF16-35mm F2.8MkII were designed with digital SLR in mind to eliminate those problems. Agreed about shooting RAW. RAW processing software can easily eliminate vignetting.

Well, we'll soon know the answer to the pre-digital v digital lens issue as I've just dropped the bloody 80-200 zoom down the ravine in Khao Yai national park!

Off to MBK tomorrow to replace it with the new 70-200 2.8L as recommended!

p.s. i think I might also invest in a good lens pouch whilst I'm at it ! :o

I know it's almost 30,000 Baht extra which was out of question for me when I bought my EF70-200mm F/2.8L, but go for IS if you can afford it. It's well worth the extra 30,000 Baht in my opinion, unless you think you use that lens only under bright daylight or if you are willing to carry a tripod heavy enough to support both the EF70-200mm F/2.8 and 5D (or willing to trade high resolution for high ISO). I regret I didn't buy an IS version (now contemplating trading it in for IS). I might even choose EF70-200mm F4L IS USM over EF70-200mm F/2.8L if I have to buy one now.

EF70-200mm F/2.8L comes with a nice case, but it's not padded enough so I bought a LowePro case which is also sold at Fotofile.

Edited by Nordlys

I know it's almost 30,000 Baht extra which was out of question for me when I bought my EF70-200mm F/2.8L, but go for IS if you can afford it. It's well worth the extra 30,000 Baht in my opinion, unless you think you use that lens only under bright daylight or if you are willing to carry a tripod heavy enough to support both the EF70-200mm F/2.8 and 5D (or willing to trade high resolution for high ISO). I regret I didn't buy an IS version (now contemplating trading it in for IS). I might even choose EF70-200mm F4L IS USM over EF70-200mm F/2.8L if I have to buy one now.

EF70-200mm F/2.8L comes with a nice case, but it's not padded enough so I bought a LowePro case which is also sold at Fotofile.

Just returned from Fotofile with the non "IS" version even though the price differential is now a mere 23k!

I based my selection on the fact that I ALWAYS use a very sturdy monopod or tripod when shooting.with this weight of zoom. Incidentally, the revolving collar that comes with the lens creates a perfect balance with the 5D attached when using a monopod.

Got a few LowePro soft cases also.

Now just need to test the vignetting issue.

btw. for those that didn't know (and I was one) Fotofile now sell stick on rear screen protectors which I figure is a great idea. They also inform me that soon they will have the rear screen hoods in stock which will be a blessing.

Monopod didn't help much with that lens... got motion blur on almost all shots with monopod at 1/60 second. :D

I know fotofile sells rear LCD anti-scratch film, but from what I remember they cut a bigger film to fit the 5D LCD. Do they now sell one tailored for 2.5' size LCD?

You won't see any vignetting with that lens that I can assure you... not even at F2.8.

Hope you'll like your new lens!

Well, we'll soon know the answer to the pre-digital v digital lens issue as I've just dropped the bloody 80-200 zoom down the ravine in Khao Yai national park!

Have you been able to retrieve that old but otherwise expensive lens? :o

Edited by Nordlys

Not to add any comfort, I also failed to get very sharp shots with the 70-200 2.8 non-IS lens. In the end I traded it in for the new 70-200 F4 IS which is about the same price; and the difference was remarkable, the F4 IS is really sharp, nice bokeh and colours too. The IS is a new design and I can hand hold down to really low speeds; great lens.

So if you drop the 2.8 down a ravine.....

I don't have any doubt about EF70-200mm F4L IS being a great lens, but is the difference that obvious? EF70-200mm F/2.8L non-IS I have is just as sharp as any other L lenses I have. It was actually my first L lens and I still remember how pleasantly I was surprised with the resolving power of L lens even at maximum aperture (not to mention nice bokeh of F2.8). Could it be the calibration issue with the particular lens you have? I'd imagine the difference is very subtle if any be it IS or non-IS (or F/2.8 or F/4) unless you compare it with some of the prime lenses like EF35mm F/1.4L or EF135mm F/2L known to yield highest resolution.