Platinum 150 Dj8

dutchrdam

post-48670-1194359227_thumb.jpg Today I did get mine Platinum 150 DJ -8 Monaco and I must say he looks OK. After a short test ride to my house I did park him and check all the vitals. Check the electric system, the oil, the tires and pressure and check all bolds and nuts. Remove all the plastic film.

With all the checks I found 4 errors.

1) 2 Bolds where not solid, 1 of the petrol tank and 1 of the left luggage cabinet.

2) The helmet cabinet in the back where mounted with oversized bolds, M6 x 50 instead of M6 x 15. The cabinet itself where not easy to remove because some plastic parts didn't slide proper. 't

3) 1 Bold where forgotten in the rear end of the chain protector.

4) 1 Wire of the left rear direction light where on a corner almost broken. Enough wire in the main cable shaft so easy to repair.

After lunch make a nice test ride and my first impressions are good. He handle well, shifts and clutch work good, brake's perform well and are good to dose.

In the city let me get used an this motorbike and take the many road barriers with easy. Many shift work up and down Making short corners very well. Then to the main road. Drive easy and no problems to get the 80 Km/h. Not faster because all is still very new.

I hope in the coming months to give more impressions and hope that other Platinum driver will share there impressions and ups or downs.

For the inside info I am a 2 meter tall 120 kilo weighting guy used to drive motorbikes all my life. Did start here in Thailand 1 year ago on a Honda Wave to learn drive on the "wrong" side of the road. I know a Platinum is not a overpriced Harley-Davidson or a state of the art tuned Ducati or Moto Guzzi. But as I can see now for the 50.000 bath including roadtax, insurance, a helmet and a jacket I think it's a good deal.

A fool and his money are easily seperated comes to mind. I will put money on the fact in 3-6 months time you wll wish you had spent thsat extra 30,000 on a Phantom. There is a saying where I come from in that " You get what you pay for " though in the case of the Platinum you dont even get that. Good luck. You are certainly going to need it! :o

Your story of the bike's hasty mis-assembly says that either the factory or the dealer didn't do their job correctly. Bolts don't do that normally. I only have one horror story of a new bike having a problem, out of six new Japanese bikes, and that was because the dealer's mechanic failed to put grease in the rear bevel drive case! I agree with H20Dunc and chavy that you may soon regret your decision. Enjoy it while you can.

I wanted to test the Century 250 for some time now, as this 230cc motorcycle looks like it can be fun. Engine parts for a new brand bike can be a future problem, with only one factory making them.

In the case of Platinum Motorcycle, I can tell that Platinum is more a motorcycle assembler then a real motorcycle manufacturer. They order, almost, all parts from 3th party OEM manufacturers and then assemble the bike at there location. That said I'm not sure if the engine is Thai build or imported from Taiwan or China, some specs let me belief that Taiwanese CPI motor is maybe suppling the engine. (Nothing wrong or bad with a CPI engine)

And it is what Chavy and H2oDunc say, time will tell... For now I can only say that I find you brave

I wanted to test the Century 250 for some time now, as this 230cc motorcycle looks like it can be fun. Engine parts for a new brand bike can be a future problem, with only one factory making them.

In the case of Platinum Motorcycle, I can tell that Platinum is more a motorcycle assembler then a real motorcycle manufacturer. They order, almost, all parts from 3th party OEM manufacturers and then assemble the bike at there location. That said I'm not sure if the engine is Thai build or imported from Taiwan or China, some specs let me belief that Taiwanese CPI motor is maybe suppling the engine. (Nothing wrong or bad with a CPI engine)

And it is what Chavy and H2oDunc say, time will tell... For now I can only say that I find you brave

Its a 35 year old new bike !,.of chinese origin,honda 70s engine ( the best thing about it ) chinese assembled bike parts ( the worst thing )..thrown together and on sale in china for 10000baht each,. the chrome lasts one winter in the uk, should last 3 here, !

I did buy mine Platinum by :

Absolute Perfect Company :D

36/9-11 M3 Kanchanapisek Road

Tambon Bang Muang

Ampur Bang Yai

Nonthaburi 11140

Phone 02 443 6584

The route is easy. Go over Rama V and follow the Nakon Inn Road till the end. Turn here right and you on the Kanchanapisek Road, road number 9. Pass Tesco Lotus, Mitshibutsi and the Toyota dealers. After the Toyota dealer its about 400 meter. The shop have some motorbikes for show standing outside and many more inside. I am sorry but they don t speak English. :o

Its a 35 year old new bike !,.of chinese origin,honda 70s engine ( the best thing about it ) chinese assembled bike parts ( the worst thing )..thrown together and on sale in china for 10000baht each,. the chrome lasts one winter in the uk, should last 3 here, !

That's about 2 winters more than the rest of the bike Mike ! :o

That's about 2 winters more than the rest of the bike Mike ! :o

yes really, there is a joke going around the uk that these bikes come with a lifetime warranty, if you have a problem they send someone round to kill you ! :D

post-41326-1194491702_thumb.jpg

As usual with these Platinum shops will it still be open this time next week? From all reports they sell what they have & then close shop...for good :o

This happened to the local Platinum shop near my place. Bikes were on disply all nice & shiney but after the stock was sold the shop was closed. Nearest shop after that was Ayyuthaya more than 100k away...not even sure if that's still open nowdays.

First of all thank you for the nice words you forum members send to me. I do ask me if you speak from own experience or from hear say or just from it’s no HD so it’s not good.

I remember when I where working for the one and only Dutch motorbike company about 30 years ago I didn’t hear much difference then now. Many complains from people who sit in the bar and try to dream the HD dream of freedom while they where shackled to the bank to pay of there HD.

But OK, today I did drive from Bua Thong to the importer Ramkampean Road to look there a little around. I where surprised of the many models they have. From scooter look a likes, electric and petrol, cross motors, city bikes and the chopper look a likes. Also did see a few Monaco 250 in complete, I think highway, police settings.

On my way to there I take the ring road number 9 and I could get good up with the other ‘s traffic. For quick jump overs it’s good that the 4 th gear is long and easy to switch back. The 5 th gear is more like a over drive just for steady cruising. I did keep the cruise speed at 80 and sometimes fasten to 110 and fall back to 60.

After some talks, with hands and feet’s with some engineers, they tell you more then sales guys, and a McDonald lunch in the near by Carrefour time to go back all the way trough the heart of the city to the Rama V bridge. Lots of traffic, traffic lights and other obstacles like taxi’s, busses and black Fortuners. Many times shifting up and down with short sprints between the lights. Here you start feel that the clutch is heavy to use but function well.In second gear its easy to pass files easy and safe.

At home after cool off the engine a short check round for the oil, accu , chain and optical inspection of the overall I found no problems. The teller is on 242 km.

Later more …. :o

If you do a search through the motorcyle forum you will find a thread about Platinum motorcycles with first hand experience of owners good & bad but , I'm afraid to say is mostly bad. I hope you do have a trouble free riding experience & enjoy the bike you have...happy riding :o

post-48670-1194359227_thumb.jpg Today I did get mine Platinum 150 DJ -8 Monaco and I must say he looks OK. After a short test ride to my house I did park him and check all the vitals. Check the electric system, the oil, the tires and pressure and check all bolds and nuts. Remove all the plastic film.

With all the checks I found 4 errors.

1) 2 Bolds where not solid, 1 of the petrol tank and 1 of the left luggage cabinet.

2) The helmet cabinet in the back where mounted with oversized bolds, M6 x 50 instead of M6 x 15. The cabinet itself where not easy to remove because some plastic parts didn't slide proper. 't

3) 1 Bold where forgotten in the rear end of the chain protector.

4) 1 Wire of the left rear direction light where on a corner almost broken. Enough wire in the main cable shaft so easy to repair.

After lunch make a nice test ride and my first impressions are good. He handle well, shifts and clutch work good, brake's perform well and are good to dose.

In the city let me get used an this motorbike and take the many road barriers with easy. Many shift work up and down Making short corners very well. Then to the main road. Drive easy and no problems to get the 80 Km/h. Not faster because all is still very new.

I hope in the coming months to give more impressions and hope that other Platinum driver will share there impressions and ups or downs.

For the inside info I am a 2 meter tall 120 kilo weighting guy used to drive motorbikes all my life. Did start here in Thailand 1 year ago on a Honda Wave to learn drive on the "wrong" side of the road. I know a Platinum is not a overpriced Harley-Davidson or a state of the art tuned Ducati or Moto Guzzi. But as I can see now for the 50.000 bath including roadtax, insurance, a helmet and a jacket I think it's a good deal.

Do yourself a huge favor DUMP THAT BIKE ON THE MARKET AS QUICK AS YOU CAN,IF YOUR LUCKY YOU CAN GET HALF OF IT BACK& BUY A JAPANESE BIKE OR A THAI BIKE. CHINA HIRES ONLY WANNABEE MECHANICS!

There was a 175 Platinum enduro for sale in Pattaya 1 month old,It has been a year & a month now, Owner still can't find a buyer.Resale of any Platinum bikes suck as most have gotten the word on the bike already.

Or wait until your picking the schrapnel from the motor out of your leg! Best thing to do is weld every bolt on your platinum or kiss everything goodbye. If you get ambitious when the bike shuts down have the wristpin mic'd(micrometer) & see how many .008 it is milled too thin. A true joke, Bike wouldn't even pass inspection for sale in the U.S.

And the posters are correct here today gone tomorrow. If it was a quality make you would see 100's of shops like Honda!

As Peaceblondie posted there are countless threads on the 3 people that like them & the countless others that checked em out & wouldn't be duped.

Not saying I never been screwed before- just giving you sound advice before your bike is worth half(5000baht) of the mfg's cost when your parts blow off into the wind.

Good luck You will need it!

And Platinum would never make it to the Ducatti Motoguzzi status! The Italian's would cringe to be compared with the platinums low standards of esteem.

Beardog

Edited by Beardog

Hello Beardog,

First of all thanks for your reaction and you concerns about my health. I can’t make clear if I must see your reply positive or negative according to the Platinum motorbike.

I did do myself a favor to buy the motorbike and, as I said before, I know it’s not a motorbike from 300.000 or more. But as I did read here in this forum the most comments are from people who have no experience with it but just recall and refrese what they did hear from others.

I started this because I like to see the things clear and true. From own experience and with a open mind.

Your reaction about the engine miss any point. The CPI engine, in this case with Platinum shields, is a reliable engine and well known in Asia.

That the most parts come from mainland China is not a surprise. As most companies who build motorbikes also Platinum buy his parts there. That it are cheap parts that is more a question of marketing. Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha and mostly all others also buy there products in China and make it only more expensive trough brandmarking and company profit rules.

About that they can t pas the inspection for sale in the USA I like to receive from you the test papers so I can read on what points they have shortcomings.

Compare a Platinum with a Ducate or Moto Guzzi is like compare apples with melons.

I'm not sure who more said CPI Engine, but CPI Motor is one of the most respected motorcycle engine manufacturers. I'm sure that some people who think cheap about CPI drive them self with CPI engine parts in there little bike.

CPI Motor is maybe not famous as motorcycle manufacturer, pity because they make some interesting bikes, talking about quality and standards. Most motorcycles in Thailand do not meet USA or European safety, warranty or emission standard, in both the USA and Europe CPI Motor sells and has local factories.

Hello Beardog,

First of all thanks for your reaction and you concerns about my health. I can’t make clear if I must see your reply positive or negative according to the Platinum motorbike.

I did do myself a favor to buy the motorbike and, as I said before, I know it’s not a motorbike from 300.000 or more. But as I did read here in this forum the most comments are from people who have no experience with it but just recall and refrese what they did hear from others.

I started this because I like to see the things clear and true. From own experience and with a open mind.

Your reaction about the engine miss any point. The CPI engine, in this case with Platinum shields, is a reliable engine and well known in Asia.

That the most parts come from mainland China is not a surprise. As most companies who build motorbikes also Platinum buy his parts there. That it are cheap parts that is more a question of marketing. Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha and mostly all others also buy there products in China and make it only more expensive trough brandmarking and company profit rules.

About that they can t pas the inspection for sale in the USA I like to receive from you the test papers so I can read on what points they have shortcomings.

Compare a Platinum with a Ducate or Moto Guzzi is like compare apples with melons.

I enclosed a couple of links about the Platinum bike forum. I am not trying to be the bearer of bad news, but I have turned wrenches for 30+ years & this post will give you a more in depth look at what you will get to look forward to.

I am sorry i misunderstood & thought you were comparing Ducate & Moto Guzi to Platinum bikes.

At any rate Enjoy your bike while it lasts. Honda has a 200 cc Phantom & Kawasaki has a 175 both will turn 40,000 kilo's without dumping parts in the road. Here are the links. Mike also turns wrenches as a lot of the posters on the lady in red(rather lengthy) post are.

Here are the links

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...num+motorcycles

The second one PeaceBlondie already provided for you. The lady in red post went on for a while & it wasn't pretty!

Even though it is a little late I hope this is helpful!

Beardog

Edited by Beardog

Today with the Platinum D 150 to the metal workshop. As I said in my first posting here I am a tall guy, over 2 meter, so I did puzzle out that my sit position would be better if I lower the foot steps with 5 cm.

So, after some sketches, today to a good friend of me who have a complete metal workshop.

Started at 9.00 the first thing where to put the bike on the table so I could work standing up. I hate lay under a motorbike. Then loosen all the bolds of the motor lower sub frame and take this of the motorbike. Loosen the bolds from the foot steps and also loosen the gear and brake leavers.

Make 2 sub plates from 6 mm steal and drill the holes in them. Then make the support pipes and the wassers and longbolds. Cut now the original lower sub frame and make all the pieces together. Use the poundsspanner to put the correct tension on the bolds. Make all clean with thinner and spray the first layer of primer.

After lunch 1 more layer of primer and then 3 layers of black acryl paint. Put the break and gear pedal on it and place the lower sub frame back in the motorbike. Put in all the bolds and use again the poundsspanner for the correct tension on the bolds. Extend the break and gear leaver with 34 mm after primer and paint put all back.

Four o’clock so time to go home and with a big smile on my face I enjoy the ride more with a much better and relaxed sit then before.

Regards :o

If you get ambitious when the bike shuts down have the wristpin mic'd(micrometer) & see how many .008 it is milled too thin.

I'm not a motorcycle guy but have been around a machine shop or 2. By "wristpin", do you mean a tempered i.e. hardened round pin? If so, surely you mean "grinding" rather than "milled". Also, "too thin" suggests parallel planar surfaces. Did you perhaps mean that the diameter is undersized? And why use .008? Is that inches, millimeters, microns, angastrom units?

Today the teller stood at 540 so time for the first oil change and checks. After let run the engine in idle for about 2 minutes stop it and remove the oil plug. Collect the oil in a wide bowl and put it apart.

In the manual is e list of checks that you should perform. Luckily the Platinum have standard a English and Thai manual. Check all the points and found no problems. Run over all bolds and screws, check the electric, carburetor, clutch, breaks, tires, sparkplug, battery and many more. No problems found. :D

Put in the oil plug and put in 1 liter of fresh oil. Check after a few minutes the oil plug on leak and check the dipstick. All ok. :o

Did put the collected oil in the oil bottle and take a small sample from it for sending to laboratory. Here they check the contents of the oil and all the ingredients they find in the oil. This make it easy for a later reference to the state of the engine and can for see early damage an it’s major components.

Regards :D

If you get ambitious when the bike shuts down have the wristpin mic'd(micrometer) & see how many .008 it is milled too thin.

I'm not a motorcycle guy but have been around a machine shop or 2. By "wristpin", do you mean a tempered i.e. hardened round pin? If so, surely you mean "grinding" rather than "milled". Also, "too thin" suggests parallel planar surfaces. Did you perhaps mean that the diameter is undersized? And why use .008? Is that inches, millimeters, microns, angastrom units?

When I tore down what was left of Phillips engine I mic'd the wristpin(supposed to be hardened-Not sure.most likely was)

It was milled for sure as grinded would have left tell tale marks & would not have been true(the dimentions would change if it was grinded- you don't grind wristpins, they are turned on a lathe or a screw machine.) its diameter was undersized .008" about a little more than 1/4 the gap of a ford or chevy spark plug on a 350chevyor a 5.0 ford.engine.

We used to run parts out of tolerance cause the bosses son was puffin em up & not paying attn all night. So in the morning the entire crew would have to cover his butt. Schlade lock company finally axed the co. after receiving to many pieces of square stock(the part that goes from one knob to the next) was up to an inch to short . Usually in a machine shop if many parts are out of tolerance for a run or many runs (a run of stock is the amount of material you are turning) it is either poor tooling or operator error That is why I was suggesting there might have been some whisky involved!

(The wristpin is the part that holds the piston to the rod with circlips to hold the pin in place)You probably know what i am talking about,but in case others are not mechanics or machinist thats the skinny on the question.

Cheers

Beardog

Edited by Beardog

If you are using mm it is.2032

cm it is .02033

microns it is 203.2

It is amazing it ran as long as it did! if it was operator error or tooling it could have been any random number as a lot of lazy machinist will actually sleep while the boss & foreman are away as an all night run on parts can be pretty boring(still no excuse for lack of quality) Now if I could just learn to type better! :o

Sorry forgot to post on last post for you!

Beardog

Edited by Beardog

When I tore down what was left of Phillips engine I mic'd the wristpin(supposed to be hardened-Not sure.most likely was)

It was milled for sure as grinded would have left tell tale marks & would not have been true(the dimentions would change if it was grinded- you don't grind wristpins, they are turned on a lathe or a screw machine.) its diameter was undersized .008" about a little more than 1/4 the gap of a ford or chevy spark plug on a 350chevyor a 5.0 ford.engine.

We used to run parts out of tolerance cause the bosses son was puffin em up & not paying attn all night. So in the morning the entire crew would have to cover his butt. Schlade lock company finally axed the co. after receiving to many pieces of square stock(the part that goes from one knob to the next) was up to an inch to short . Usually in a machine shop if many parts are out of tolerance for a run or many runs (a run of stock is the amount of material you are turning) it is either poor tooling or operator error That is why I was suggesting there might have been some whisky involved!

(The wristpin is the part that holds the piston to the rod with circlips to hold the pin in place)You probably know what i am talking about,but in case others are not mechanics or machinist thats the skinny on the question.

Cheers

Beardog

Beardog, the reason I put up my snarky post is because you and a few others kept hammering the guy about his new bike. Don't you think "enough is enough"?

As far as milling vs grinding ..

Generally, milling is a moving/rotating metal cutter process. I just can't believe anyone "mills" wristpins. Even if it is "turned" on a lathe (not milled on a lathe), I would assume that is pre heat treatment. The grinding I am speaking of is centered or centerless grinding, which is a means of bringing the final diameter to close tolerances. Precision grinding produces a much superior finish as well. Depending on the "fineness", mirror-like finishes can be achieved. Even for processes called honing or lapping, abrasives (stones) are used. An example of a very fine abrasive finish would be the facets on a diamond or other gemstone.

I'm accustomed to talking +/- .0001 .. and better .. when I talk precision machining. My old shop did better than .008" on many occasions when doing precision metal fabrication (sheet metal) and that was back in the '80's.

If you are familiar with dowel pins, they are high precision and ground to finish.

And I would be willing to bet a brew that manufacturers of wristpins use a grinding/abrasive technique to manufacture wristpins.

Try Google for "centerless grinding"

Cheers

Beardog

Beardog, the reason I put up my snarky post is because you and a few others kept hammering the guy about his new bike. Don't you think "enough is enough"?

As far as milling vs grinding ..

Generally, milling is a moving/rotating metal cutter process. I just can't believe anyone "mills" wristpins. Even if it is "turned" on a lathe (not milled on a lathe), I would assume that is pre heat treatment. The grinding I am speaking of is centered or centerless grinding, which is a means of bringing the final diameter to close tolerances. Precision grinding produces a much superior finish as well. Depending on the "fineness", mirror-like finishes can be achieved. Even for processes called honing or lapping, abrasives (stones) are used. An example of a very fine abrasive finish would be the facets on a diamond or other gemstone.

I'm accustomed to talking +/- .0001 .. and better .. when I talk precision machining. My old shop did better than .008" on many occasions when doing precision metal fabrication (sheet metal) and that was back in the '80's.

If you are familiar with dowel pins, they are high precision and ground to finish.

And I would be willing to bet a brew that manufacturers of wristpins use a grinding/abrasive technique to manufacture wristpins.

Try Google for "centerless grinding"

Ah Klikster you old trickster. You said you wern't much of a mechanic but I thought better. you are correct .0001+ or - is what a conscientious millwright would strive for. Not worth my time to look up grinding techniques, but I am interested in farming techniques that would suit me much better at this point in life.

The point I was making along with 100 or so other posters there are better bikes for the money out there. I could have bought a Chinese made weed whacker for 1500 baht less but bought a Honda instead cause it is reliable & easy to get parts.

I don't care if the OP buys I just replied to the post.

Thank you for being civil(it is appreciated)

Dutch I hope your bike brings you many years of joy! I mean it and am not being facetious!

I felt sorry for you getting ramrodded on the farming forum

Cheers Beardog

.. but I am interested in farming techniques that would suit me much better at this point in life.

Having been born on an 80 acre dirt farm south of Muskogee, Oklahoma; I have to agree that farming soil has a much better aroma than either tailpipe exhausts or cutting oil. I do miss those great tomatoes, Rocky Ford cantaloupes, and Mountain Hoosier watermelons .. um .. could you pass the cornbread, please. :o

Thank you for being civil(it is appreciated)

I honestly try to be most of the time .. thanks ..

.. and regards