Hey Mods

rayabk

I posted this on the visa section yesterday. I did not get one response. I hope you can help as I am flying out tomorrow.

My Non Imm B type visa expires in February next year. As I am going to tomorrow to take up a new job does this visa automatically get cancelled on departure from Bangkok or do I specifically have to visit an immigration office to do so.

Cheers

I am no expert on visas, but I'll give it a go, as the Aussies say.

If you have a multiple entry B visa, you may come and go as often as you want during the full term of that visa (until February). Unless it is an extended visa past the original expiration date of that visa. I'll bump your topic in the visa forum to make it more current.

I don't think that's entirely correct/complete Peace..

In summary it's like this:

* If you don't have a re-entry permit, the visa is finished the second you leave the country. Gone. When you come back you can do so either on a new visa, or on a visa-exempt 30 day stay assuming you're from a Western country.

* If you do have (or purchase at Immigration at the airport prior to leaving) a re-entry permit, then you can come back until the visa ends in February.

* If you quit your job and your Non-Imm B visa is based on you having a work permit, then usually your company would void the work permit, which then automatically leads to voiding your visa. You'd get a couple days grace from Immigration to leave the country in this case. However if your company is not bothered then you can just let things expire.

# Is your new job in Thailand? Then I recommend not letting stuff expire or get voided but arrange a new work permit, then get a new stay from Immigration up to the new expiry date of the new work permit. Since you're leaving tomorrow, I'd make sure you have (or get) a re-entry permit then, and take care of the transfer when you come back.

Or, if your new job is NOT in Thailand then you don't have to do anything; your company will void any work permit (assuming you have one), but work permit or not, the visa ends when you leave. Or if you had a re-entry permit, that will end in February, no need to do anything; it's actually very similar to a tourist leaving on his tourist visa; it just ends.

Edited by TheEmperorOfTheNorth

But Emperor (and being up north, I address my emperor only with respect and trembling:)),

A multiple entry B visa that has not been extended does not need a reentry permit. Not for the three years and three visas that I held, without a work permit. Not only did I come and go from Thailand as I pleased, the visa made it necessary for me to leave the country every 90 days, without a reentry permit.

And, I always understood that an unextended B visa is still in force even if it was linked to a work permit that has now expired.

But the topic continues where the OP started it: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...p;#entry1639306