Home Made Fruit Wines

jitagon

I have never made any wine. However, I have tried some mulberry wine that is made in the North of Thailand, Northwest of Mae Hong Song. The wine was dry with I very nice deep red color.

If you are close to Isaan I'm sure you can find the fruit, they use the mulberry leaf to feed the worms on the silk farm.

The locals in my wife's village make their wine from rice.

*j*

Edited by Chung noi

I made many gallons of fruit wine in the UK and plan to start here soon. My first attempt will be from mango as the juice is easy to extract. I made from so many different fruits/leaves before and i imagine that local, (thai), fruit will be just as easy if you are patient and prepared to throw away the odd gallon of bad stuff.

I have some packs of wine yeast and thought I'd have a go at some fruit wine - nothing sweet. Anyone had any luck with the local fruit. Thought maybe longon might be drinkable.

:D I never made any wine with Thai fruits as base. Maybe I will try after I retire in BKK next year.

I used to make grape wines for home drinking when I worked in Saudi. Usually we drank it as soon as it was made and didn't let it age. Once I made a batch of wine using apple juice. At first I thought it was a failure, as it was very cloudy and a lot of sediment floating in it. Put the bottles aside and was going to throw it out, but forgot about them. About six months later I happened to look at the bottles again. The wine had cleared to a beautiful light amber color, all the sediment had dropped down to the bottom. I tried a sip and it was great, not too sweet, and with a definate tangy apple taste and a alchohol kick to it. Took it out of the bottles very carefully, so as not to disturb the sediment on the bottom, and got some good wine for a Christamas party out of it.

You really don't need wine yeast to make wine, brewer's yeast will work just as well. Doesn't hurt to use wine yeast if that is what you want and can get. There was no wine yeast available in Saudi (because that was for alchohol, but baker's yeast was easily available).

For making good wine:

1. The purest ingreadiants for juice. No Preservatives in the juice. Pure fruit juice if possible.

2. Like a good business that needs good location good wine needs absolute cleanliness in the equipment. Sterilize and clean afterwards so that you never use/reuse a container with foriegn bacteria in it.

3. When brewing your brewing container must be airtight. Stray bacteria getting into your brewing container can turn a batch of wine into foul-smelling vinegar. Use an airlock (bubble the CO2 produced out through a water trap, that is the CO2 feeds thru an airtight seal from the brewing container into a full bottle of water so that air can not get into the container).

4. And finally, as I said cleanliness, cleanliness, cleanliness. That's the rule.

:o

• 4 weeks later...

There is a guy who lives in the Amphoe, who makes wine from Jack Fruit and Mangosteen. not bad for 200 B/B but a bit sweet. I used to brew in the UK lots of rice and raisin. Never sold it but I did swap it for beer. :o

Edited by Mosha

• 5 months later...

If you plan to use longon or leychee make sure you take out the pit first.If you just squeez the fruit with the pit in ,it ends up haveing a bad after tast.Most wine after fully fermented will be dry.Unless you use the proper membran to filter the wine after fermentation to get out all of the yeast you can not really add any sugar to sweeten it because it will start to ferment again and it will have an even higher alcohol content.You can use sugar substituts though.And no coffee filters will not remove all of the yeast.But will clear up your wine.Have made "apple jack" before also, very easy and as IMA-FARANG said it is very tasty.You can do the same with orange juice.Mango by far has been the tastiest in my opinon.Wine or champane yeast is the way to go.Reagular brewers yeast does impart a different flavor.But got to use what you can get.

Was in Vietnam last year with my son and came across this wine outside of Hanoi.It is some HOT rocket fuel I can tell you.The snake wine that is.Not brave enough to try the lizard wine.

post-14263-1212093111_thumb.jpg

post-14263-1212093247_thumb.jpg

Edited by blue eyes

Was in Vietnam last year with my son and came across this wine outside of Hanoi.It is some HOT rocket fuel I can tell you.The snake wine that is.Not brave enough to try the lizard wine.

LOL, I have seen it for sell but I never had the balls to drink it. As a matter of fact I'v never seen anyone take a shot. However, it is fun to look at. I never seen a batch that big before, looks like they are getting ready for a party.

Edited by Chung noi

I came across a site called 'Making Wine From Rare Fruits', which I suppose a lot of the fruit here is if you live in California

It has some recipes for mango, pineapple, papya and a few others I don't remember.

Now, if only I can locate some demijons ...