Returning Home.

v8tfcorty

hi ya's, my work contract is over and im going home :o .

my question is i have built a PC whilst ive been here and would like to take it home (australia),

what would be the easiest most inexpensive way.

i know most will say just sell it and buy new, but this system has cost me around 1.5k aussie and im quite fond of it.

it will obviously go as excess baggage as my suitcase will be chockers, can i take it as carry-on ( dimension wise it should be fine, not sure of the weight though)...

any suggestions much appreciated...

p.s it will only be the box im taking monitor and other stuff can be easliy and cheaply replaced.

hi ya's, my work contract is over and im going home :o .

my question is i have built a PC whilst ive been here and would like to take it home (australia),

what would be the easiest most inexpensive way.

i know most will say just sell it and buy new, but this system has cost me around 1.5k aussie and im quite fond of it.

it will obviously go as excess baggage as my suitcase will be chockers, can i take it as carry-on ( dimension wise it should be fine, not sure of the weight though)...

any suggestions much appreciated...

p.s it will only be the box im taking monitor and other stuff can be easliy and cheaply replaced.

How about dismantling your PC, dumping the weighty stuff like power supply and case, and just wrapping the motherboard, cards, HDD, DVD R/W, etc, in foil.  Might fit your weight limits that way and you should be able to reassemble with a few new components when you get back to Oz.

I think I'd also get an external HDD and do a back up of all data, and take that seperately from the other components.

Mac

One economical way is to take it as 'Unacompanied Excess Baggage'.

Take it in to the airport 'Freight Services Area' a day or two before you fly, take your own flight tickets with you.

With a bit of luck it will be ready to collect when you arrive at your destination.

Naka.

Edited by naka

Have you compared the cost of wrapping it up it in a box and shipping it by sea? I'd certainly take the drives out and bring those with me on the plane, but it seems to me that replacing things like case and power supply in OZ would negate any savings you get from not shipping the entire computer. Power supplies aren't all that cheap.

Of course you'd have to wait a few weeks.

But if I was returning home (US) I'd take the drives, and look for a new laptop when I got there. That would get me by until my desktop arrived. Or just set up your old laptop for daily use for the interim. :o

Edit: I should add that I shipped a few computers here from the US by boat a few years ago (as part of all our stuff) and they arrived in perfect condition.

Edited by Upcountry