December 24 Declared Public Holiday

george

Cabinet declares Dec 24 be public holiday

BANGKOK: -- The cabinet declared on Tuesday that Dec 24 be a national holiday to encourage people living away from homes to return to take part in the Dec 23 general election.

Deputy Interior Minister Thirawut Butrsripoom said the government expected that this will help increase voter turnout.

The government hopes that turnout will be 70%.

Central bank will cooperate with commercial banks to announce to public that all the banks close on that day.

--Bangkok Post 2007-11-13

And once again I asked the Director is the 24th was a Holiday and the reply was: "It's a holiday when I say it's a holiday."

Pharoah has spoken...All hail Pharoah!

(Just kidding, she's a pretty nice lady).

BANGKOK: -- The cabinet declared on Tuesday that Dec 24 be a national holiday...

That sucks, cause it's a holiday anyway at my company! Can't they change it to Nov. 24?

BANGKOK: -- The cabinet declared on Tuesday that Dec 24 be a national holiday to encourage people living away from homes to return to take part in the Dec 23 general election.

Deputy Interior Minister Thirawut Butrsripoom said the government expected that this will help increase voter turnout.

The government hopes that turnout will be 70%.

Central bank will cooperate with commercial banks to announce to public that all the banks close on that day.

--Bangkok Post 2007-11-13

Which is the day I am supposed to go to the immigration office in Chiang Mai,to get my passport stamped ,to show that I have a one year extension to my visa..... maybe it is possible to go a few days earlier....who knows ? But no great problem!!!

As I understand it, the Employers Confedertion of Thailand (read Big Bosses Association), are contesting this decision as it will interefere with end of the year production. The article, on P. 2 of the Bangkok Post also refers to the holiday as: "requested by the gov't--as opposed to declared.

Does anyone know if they can just ignore it, or do they have to pay overtime or how this works?

December 24 bank holiday

BANGKOK: -- The Bank of Thailand Thursday announced that December 24 will be a special holiday for banks and financial institutions.

Earlier, the Cabinet announced that December 24 would be an extra holiday for civil servants and state enterprise employees.

The BOT reasoned that December 24 would be a bank holiday to encourage people to return to their home provinces to vote on December 23 in line with the government's policy.

-- The Nation 2007-11-15

December 24 bank holiday

BANGKOK: -- The Bank of Thailand Thursday announced that December 24 will be a special holiday for banks and financial institutions.

Earlier, the Cabinet announced that December 24 would be an extra holiday for civil servants and state enterprise employees.

The BOT reasoned that December 24 would be a bank holiday to encourage people to return to their home provinces to vote on December 23 in line with the government's policy.

-- The Nation 2007-11-15

Can anyone confirm if this is a holiday for government employees as well. Government offices, schools etc?

Will government schools be closed throughout Thailand? :o