Parsley,chives & Dill Weed 4 Chicken Kiev?

uptou

It is very unlikely you will find parsley and dill in a traditional Thai market. Neither of them are used in Thai cooking.

If you have access to a Supermarket that carries imported goods (like Foodland in Bangkok or Rim Ping in Chiang Mai) you might be able to find it.

Parsley is called ผักชีฝรั่ง 'pak chii farang' in my dictionaries, but from personal experience I know of one more plant that is also called ผักชีฝรั่ง and tastes nothing like parsley (it is one of the ingredients used in Tom Yum soup).

If this is a misconception or local Northern dialect I don't know, but I have heard the same term used by three different people here in Chiang Mai.

EDIT: After checking, it appears this is only a Northern dialect thing, so if you live somewhere else you can disregard that part.

Dill is 'dill' (pronounce it like 'diw' to sound more Thai if you like, but you can not take for granted that people will know what it is. I have never seen it used in Thai cooking.

Alright, I know the language alright, but what I really know is the food. So here's the verdicts: Parsley - get ye to a big Farang hi-end store n you'll find it. Not really a point to pursuing a Farang herb by a Thai name when they don't have it usually, and wouldn't care for it either if they did. Just say 'parsley.' Up here in CM, the Royal Projects produce it quite regularly, perhaps it gets distribution to BKK too. Dill they use out in Isaan and call Pak Chi Lao. That's right, Lao, they view it as being their herb. Pak Chi Falang is an herb shaped like a dandelion green but with its own unique and awesome flavor. It is classically in Tom Yam Kung, but is often left out in easier/cheaper/quicker versions. Really good ones will have it in it. I forget right now the real name of Pak Chi Farang, but it originated either in Africa or the Carribean/New World and is apparently in many Carribean dishes. - I had to reformat the harddrive and lost all my old Firefox bookmarks which included lots of great foodsites with intense info. I now have Foxmarks to keep these inventoried in the datasphere somewhere forever now, but that's another story.