Porsche Boxster Vs. Bmw 328i Convertable

jonniebkk

If you were in the market for a 2 seat German convertble which of these models would be your choice and why? The Porsche Boxster or the BMW 328i convertable series. They are both around the same price, German made convertables, and very similar engine specs.

You'd need LOTS of money to be in the market for one of those! I'd go for the Porsche as I've had experience with the 911 and would imagine the Boxter would have the same or similar handling. However, both cars are high maintenance and it would be best to have a "regular" car for work/shopping and the Porsche or Beamer for tooling around on the weekends.

Beamer for me as with the Porsche it would be the "he couldn't afford the 911" syndrome. :D

I'm with you on this one, TingTong :o

The Boxter S is a much better car than the 'poor mans 911', but I'v had a 328i and it was a fantastic, reliable car that was NOT high maintanance. Parts (in UK) were not much more than other makes, as long as they are not M tech.

Regards

Dave :D

Between a Boxter and BMW 328 Conv. I would choose the Boxter. It's more a sports car, better handling, better brakes, more fun to drive with a mid-engine layout. Some say even better handling than the 911 :o

But if given an open choice, I would also include the all new AUDI TT (wait for the 350 HP TT RS) or the SLK 55 AMG, and why not consider the BMW Z4? All horribly expensive cars here in Thailand, but you seem to be in UK, right?

If you were in the market for a 2 seat German convertble which of these models would be your choice and why? The Porsche Boxster or the BMW 328i convertable series. They are both around the same price, German made convertables, and very similar engine specs.

Go for the Boxster every time, i bought one and it was the best car in the world. Anymore info just send me a private message ok.

Porsche is the way to go.

Regards.

I don't think that the 328i is really the right BMW to compare against the Boxster. The M roadster or M coupe would be more directly comparable. If spending that much though I'd be inclined to kick in a few extra baht and get the Caymen instead of either the Boxster or M.

This is from the guy who recently said on the Honda thread:
Jazz is a girls car!

Seems to have a one track mind on car gender assignment.

Mr Crap Dog Speak,

I'm afraid it's true that certain cars are for women. The Jazz is one example. Or take the MX-5 for another. Still i guess if you do drive a woman's car, at least no one can accuse you of having anything to compensate for. :o

Well everyone has the rigth of their own opinion.

I must say the Cayman looks good.

The MX-5 is indeed a girls car as well.. In Holland my girlfriend drove a Toyota MR2.

In my opinion not a girls car at all. Was more like a big kart.

MR2 is a bit borderline for me. Lotus Elise much more my kettle.

Jazz is a girls car!

Mr Crap Dog Speak,

I'm afraid it's true that certain cars are for women. The Jazz is one example. Or take the MX-5 for another. Still i guess if you do drive a woman's car, at least no one can accuse you of having anything to compensate for. :o

That's my name and don't wear it out!

Well, if you want to split hairs, I think most people would tell you a yellow Jazz, along with most likely any colour Honda City would be a girl's car. Most other colors of Jazz, and especially the VTEC top models (in black) would not be considered girls cars.

Now, getting back to the Porsche, yes I agree the Boxter is mostly a wussy car, especially compared to the only real Porsche ever made to date, the 911s. Even the 924s and 944s and the other also-rans are crappy compared to the real thing.

The Dog's butt speaks.

Jazz is a girls car!

Mr Crap Dog Speak,

That's my name and don't wear it out!

Well, if you want to split hairs, I think most people would tell you a yellow Jazz, along with most likely any colour Honda City would be a girl's car. Most other colors of Jazz, and especially the VTEC top models (in black) would not be considered girls cars.

Now, getting back to the Porsche, yes I agree the Boxter is mostly a wussy car, especially compared to the only real Porsche ever made to date, the 911s. Even the 924s and 944s and the other also-rans are crappy compared to the real thing.

The Dog's butt speaks.

I wonder if any of these people have owned a Boxster?

It was certainly a mans car when i had mine.

Anyway as they say people have the own opinion, nothing wrong with that. I would take one out for a test drive and then see if you can walk away after the experience of listening to the engine @ 3000rpm and 6000rpm!

I took out a tiptronic and placed my order straight away, it took year to get built and i went to the factory to pick it up. Drove back through Germany and Holland all the way to the North East of England- what a laugh, of course I was running it in so couldnt go mad, but jesus what a car. If you send me your email i will send some pics if you like.

Oh yes it was better than my 911 Targa i had before it!!!

Regards

After being a passenger in a Porsche Carrera GT and an owner/driver of a 2006 BMW M5 , I'd say neither.

But to answer the question..if I was a girl or a very camp/effeminate male I'd get the boxster :o else, I'd get the BMW.

After being a passenger in a Porsche Carrera GT and an owner/driver of a 2006 BMW M5 , I'd say neither.

But to answer the question..if I was a girl or a very camp/effeminate male I'd get the boxster :o else, I'd get the BMW.

Hmmm.

Not many girls where i live driving a Porsche Boxster, plenty of blokes though.

Still personal preference and all that.

Lets not get bogged down with the male female stuff.

I would own any of the said cars but simply prefer a Porsche.

All the best.

Well neither, but only the Porsche has 2 seats.... :o

Hmmm.

All the best.

Just my perspective..they look a bit girly to me, like the new VW beetle, Mercedes SLK32, Mini Cooper, any car painted pink,yellow or pastel blue :D

Hmmm.

All the best.

Just my perspective..they look a bit girly to me, like the new VW beetle, Mercedes SLK32, Mini Cooper, any car painted pink,yellow or pastel blue :D

Yer right there mate, those colours are terrible but must appeal to the ladies out there. Oh yes and those young rich girls with more money than sense.

You definately see more women driving the SLK than blokes. Hmmm. I wish i had the money now to have a choice hehe.

Regards

Hmmm.

All the best.

Ditto where I live. Boxsters here seem to be most commonly driven by 45 to 55 year old males.

yeah, all that is true. Boxters are driven by pussyes. Yet, none of you could afford even a Jazz, isn't that right??

Why don't all the real players go one way and all the bullshit artists go another? It would be much simpler.

This auto forum needs some real men who have owned these cars before and are not just spouting b.s.

Dogcrapspeaks.

Hmmm.

All the best.

Ditto where I live. Boxsters here seem to be most commonly driven by 45 to 55 year old males.

when they drive past can you hear what's playing on the stereo ? is it.."its raining men" perchance :D

Hmmm.

All the best.

when they drive past can you hear what's playing on the stereo ? is it.."its raining men" perchance :D

Maybe it's a regional thing if that's whose buying Boxsters where you live. From what I've observed it seems to be more a a "mid-life crisis mobile", much as the Corvette was a generation ago.

Hmmm.

All the best.

Maybe it's a regional thing if that's whose buying Boxsters where you live. From what I've observed it seems to be more a a "mid-life crisis mobile", much as the Corvette was a generation ago.

Maybe it is...hey there goes one now...is that Richard Simmons driving ?

Hmmm.

All the best.

Maybe it is...hey there goes one now...is that Richard Simmons driving ?

I'm pretty sure that he has a light blue BMW Z3.