Getting Pulled Over By The Cops

saparot

In my short time riding, ive been pulled over about 15 times and they always wave me on.

Is it something I can expect, being a farang on a new bike they just leave you alone?

And if they pull you over and check (all my documents are in order, but I only have a photocopy of my passport), can I expect to always be fined for trivial things? how about handing over some reds to smooth things, how does that work ? before or after :o

Just wondering what I can expect.

I have never problems with the police. In the 2 year I drive motorbike, first Honda Wave and now Platinum D150, beside one time they always wave me trough.

One time they stopped me and ask for my papers, who all are correct, and a short talk in broken English I could proceed my way. The police in the Noi district I think did do a kind of course in English and are proud to show there skills.

As always tread them with respect and they will respect you. :o

Regards :D

Got pulled just outside Buriram about 2 years ago for no Helmet, i was riding a dragstar, the police were more interested in the bike, they asked me for to go and get them a beer, so got back on the bike went down the road and got 3 Beer chaings, came back, the Two coppers and myself drank the beers and had a chat, they then just told me to go, i felt sorry for all the thais they were pulling up, compounding there bikes and making them walk to the cop shop to pay the fine, which was about a mile down the road, couple of days later the two coppers arrived at the house, they were ok, gave them another few beers and the mrs cooked them some thai food, we all had a good sat afternoon.

As long as you are ok with them, and have a bit of a joke, i find em fine.

Edited by Thaicoon

Saporot ,

Where are you located?

I usually been nailed for a helmet ticket once & 3 on a bike once in 3 years . I got waved once 6 weeks ago.

the heat just wanted to see if I had a lic. & let me go when I showed it.

I am in Pattaya Are you in Bkk?

The other trick is stay to the right & usually you don't get waved(unless your on sukimvit in Pattaya) They get you on the right or left.

I usually don't make eye contact with the coppers & blow through the checkpoints- be careful if you use this method if you are to close they will attempt to kick your bike over. But they never chase you! Motorolla not to popular in Thailand

You will always get pulled as a farang. Had a few lucky guys on previous posts that have no problem.

2 tips:

1) Get a Thai license (and a car license if you drive). This is very simple and inexpensive. The majority of the BiB will let you go on production of this as they realise you are not a tourist, and will not accept their b.s.

2) If point 1. above does not work, offer to contribute 200 baht to their 'tea fund'.

Also a 3rd tip for car drivers, get very dark tinted windows. Had this done about 12 months ago, and not been oulled in the car since, as they cannot see that it is a generous farang driving, who would love to make a 'donation'.

PS. I will probably get shot down for point 3, but I don't think the BiB know that blacked out windows are also against the law.

I got told my by law teacher:

The checkpoiont must be clearly signed as a checkpoint

Only certain officers can ask for your papers, the more senior pig

He told me that on all occaisons he has threatened to report the officer and that the pig could lose his job, consequently, he got waved off on his merry way!

I dont drive anything myself though, but if i did, i would not stop to give these people money.. get a real job IMO

PS: be careful, a lot of fake police out there collecting money.

Saporot ,

Where are you located?

Chiang Rai provence.

Today it was crawling with police, I must have past at least 5 stopping points, finally they pulled me over. I pulled out my Thai drivers license then he asked the usual thai questions, in a friendly way, what country are you from? what are you doing here? He was suprised to see my GPS system on the bike & while I was talking to him on the side, another cop snuck up on the other side and tried to pull my GPS phone from the bike, I heard the noise of the velcro coming off and when I turned around, amazingly the hand was gone ! I wonder if he was playing with it or trying to steal it .....

Saporot ,

Where are you located?

Chiang Rai provence.

Today it was crawling with police, I must have past at least 5 stopping points, finally they pulled me over. I pulled out my Thai drivers license then he asked the usual thai questions, in a friendly way, what country are you from? what are you doing here? He was suprised to see my GPS system on the bike & while I was talking to him on the side, another cop snuck up on the other side and tried to pull my GPS phone from the bike, I heard the noise of the velcro coming off and when I turned around, amazingly the hand was gone ! I wonder if he was playing with it or trying to steal it .....

Ouch that is harsh- sounds like he was dicking you on the phone -sometimes the cops like to provoke a reaction. Boredom I guess.

Sounds like your area is getting more heat from Bangkok to make more money. They put more pressure on Pattaya & you can sure tell the difference.

sometimes ignorance is bliss. I just pretend(like in the U.S.-never make eye contact) & continue & stay away from them being able to kick your bike over. They seem to go to the next easy prey! 5 checkpoints would be hard to avoid, maybe they were looking for an individual & since they were-it is a good opportunity to make a little side cash on the way!

For what it's worth;

I don't have a permanent residence in Thailand yet, so when I'm in country, I'm unable to get a Thai license. I've found that even skipping pulling my wallet out (I keep it inside my leather's breast pocket), I just keep my passport with a couple of 100 baht notes folded up in the first page. Smooths things out for real and imagined offences.

I got told my by law teacher:

The checkpoiont must be clearly signed as a checkpoint

Only certain officers can ask for your papers, the more senior pig

He told me that on all occaisons he has threatened to report the officer and that the pig could lose his job, consequently, he got waved off on his merry way! '

Id like to see how they would react if you called them a Pig to their face. Maybe one day you may find the balls and give it a go..

I dont like the term much myself but do find it acceptable if it comes from the vocabuary of a Scag or a Fluezy.

Id like to see how they would react if you called them a Pig to their face. Maybe one day you may find the balls and give it a go..

I dont like the term much myself but do find it acceptable if it comes from the vocabuary of a Scag or a Fluezy.

Id imagine they would arrest me. And id like you to see my reaction if you called me a scag to my face.

pic8.jpg

Pff.. yeah right.

Edited by ukjackthai

If I read this topic, I almost get scared to go out. In the 9 years (almost 10) that I'm in Thailand I belief I paid one maybe two times a bribe (Shit, I was wrong, pay the fine or look for discount, no discussion..I went for discount). One time I ignored a red light and second was to much alcohol, the alcohol part was once and never again. I agree with the officer alcohol and driving not go well together, and taxis are a good alternative.

Been asked in the years several times for the papers, but most it was driver license only... I think if you get pulled over and you look nervous they, which is a behavior most Thai police misunderstand, because, Thai people if they get pulled over and are nervous they did something wrong...

Being nervous when the police stops you is same as asking can I give you money...

Also a 3rd tip for car drivers, get very dark tinted windows. Had this done about 12 months ago, and not been oulled in the car since, as they cannot see that it is a generous farang driving, who would love to make a 'donation'.

PS. I will probably get shot down for point 3, but I don't think the BiB know that blacked out windows are also against the law.

I'm not gonna shoot you down for #3 but I would strongly advise anyone not to apply dark tinted plastic to the windscreen. When I first got my Toyota Tiger it had a dense dark strip across the top of the windscreen. It's lower edge was set at a height to suit a Thai so a 6' 1" farang was constantly looking through it. All was fine in the day time but once night fell I had to crouch down in the seat to see out from under it. Could see sod all through it and next day yhe truck was handed back with the instruction "get it orf..........please". :o