Rant Two

CGW

Time for my “Rant”!

We read a lot on this forum about Motorcycles & Baht buses and the danger they are to themselves and others – agreed, though I have to disagree that wearing the Thai made helmets on a Motorcycle will make much difference in a crash, they are worthless, about all they are good for is invoking a false sense of confidence!

What annoys me is the endless unregulated, overloaded, noisy, polluting, speeding trucks with the fancy wheel nuts (what is that about?) that terrorise the roads! These drivers are totally above any law or regulation; I have never seen one being stopped, they tear the roads up, cause unknown amounts of noise pollution, yet every body remains silent, why?

Probably because they are untouchable, maybe I should just keep quite?

While I am ranting – I would like to add that whoever the t*at was that was the first to shout out at a golf tournament “In the hole” should be shot – twice, with the same ……..

The end.

I assume you are referring to the trucks that are full of 'landfill' earth etc that are used in the construction of roads and housing estates.

When I first moved to the Mabprachan area, there were very few trucks on those roads, but for the past 18 months or so they are everywhere, almost 24 hours/day collecting landfill from the reservoir and delivering it all over Pattaya.

Not only do they cause congestion and accidents, but they have totally destroyed the roads - from Siam Country Club, right round to Pong and the 3240? that goes back down to Sukhumvit. They even sometimes thunder along the little country lane, past my house, taking a short cut to the 36 Rayong Highway.

Lucky that the Golf Club had an international tournament, and had the budget to rebuild that section of the road, as for sure as H..l no o else was going to pay for it.

Yes, every time I get stuck behind one - or two - or three - of them, shaking along the road, disgorging their sand and mud everywhere, cracking the roads as they go and terrorising pedestrians and motorcyclists, I have to take a long, deep breath and remind myself that TIT, and there is absolutely nothing, I or anyone else in this country can do about it. :o

I assume you are referring to the trucks that are full of 'landfill' earth etc that are used in the construction of roads and housing estates.

When I first moved to the Mabprachan area, there were very few trucks on those roads, but for the past 18 months or so they are everywhere, almost 24 hours/day collecting landfill from the reservoir and delivering it all over Pattaya.

Not only do they cause congestion and accidents, but they have totally destroyed the roads - from Siam Country Club, right round to Pong and the 3240? that goes back down to Sukhumvit. They even sometimes thunder along the little country lane, past my house, taking a short cut to the 36 Rayong Highway.

Lucky that the Golf Club had an international tournament, and had the budget to rebuild that section of the road, as for sure as H..l no o else was going to pay for it.

Yes, every time I get stuck behind one - or two - or three - of them, shaking along the road, disgorging their sand and mud everywhere, cracking the roads as they go and terrorising pedestrians and motorcyclists, I have to take a long, deep breath and remind myself that TIT, and there is absolutely nothing, I or anyone else in this country can do about it. :o

I agree that for the good of one's health this is often the best thing to do. But interested parties can write to City Hall and can write to the press. There will be laws against destroying public roads.

I agree that for the good of one's health this is often the best thing to do. But interested parties can write to City Hall and can write to the press. There will be laws against destroying public roads.

Are "we" the only people that have noticed the roads have been totally destroyed? City hall etc are well aware, but the "truck Mafia" ate untouchable! TIT

Are "we" the only people that have noticed the roads have been totally destroyed? City hall etc are well aware, but the "truck Mafia" ate untouchable! TIT

Is there a map that defines the jurisdiction of the plonks at Pattaya City Hall? The extents of Pattaya City per se?

I would think (I may well be wrong) that their remit doesn't reach that far even if they did give a sh*t. More likely under the care of your local amphurs and pooyais on that side of Sukhumvit and thinking that they will want to spend any money on fixing roads that are mostly traveled by farangs and moneyed locals may be a bit of a pipe dream. After all, they most likely own and rent out the siplors that are hauling all that fill about and trashing the roads.

Is there a map that defines the jurisdiction of the plonks at Pattaya City Hall? The extents of Pattaya City per se?

I would think (I may well be wrong) that their remit doesn't reach that far even if they did give a sh*t. More likely under the care of your local amphurs and pooyais on that side of Sukhumvit and thinking that they will want to spend any money on fixing roads that are mostly traveled by farangs and moneyed locals may be a bit of a pipe dream. After all, they most likely own and rent out the siplors that are hauling all that fill about and trashing the roads.

You are correct in every respect except that the roads - or what's left of them - are used by absolutely everyone - rich and poor alike. The most ubiquitous vehicles on the roads are ancient pick-ups, even more ancient motor bikes with side-cars, plus a generous supply of newer bikes funded no doubt on dubious credit. Those that are too poor to have their own vehicle rely on the Song tows (Baht buses) that ply these semi rural areas.

So we all suffer together - a bit of a social leveller - if you think about it. :o

I can live with the damage they do to the roads, what annoys me most is the amount of pollution they cause, with their modified exhausts & underpowered engines, I got stuck behind one last week that had rerouted his exhaust to the left of the vehicle, every time he overtook a motorcycle he made sure they got a good Blast!

Besides the reservoir they have been hauling dirt out from near too Horseshoe point for years now, don't know what they are doing in there but must be some sized hole by now.

I can live with the damage they do to the roads, what annoys me most is the amount of pollution they cause, with their modified exhausts & underpowered engines, I got stuck behind one last week that had rerouted his exhaust to the left of the vehicle, every time he overtook a motorcycle he made sure they got a good Blast!

Besides the reservoir they have been hauling dirt out from near too Horseshoe point for years now, don't know what they are doing in there but must be some sized hole by now.

Yeah, I guess you're right - and fortunately, with my Mobi monster, the bad roads don't effect me too much.

But the sad thing is that the road in this general area were in pretty good nick - as Thai roads go - and probably had a good few years left in them until the trucks came along and accelerated their deterioration.

On a lighter side, I was very impressed with the superior road re-building job they did on the stretch to Siam Country Club. A beautiful piece of smooth black top - complete with shiny crash barriers on the sharp bends, hazard lights and goodness knows what else. All achieved in a matter of days - all 15 odd kms of it! Just shows you what can be done if the money and will are there. :o

But when the section of road, past the golf course entrance, that swings round the lake became almost impassable due to the horrendous holes, what did the local authorities do? They contracted the most ancient, rusty looking road repair vehicle I have ever seen, with workers so old they looked as though they had been resuscitated from the dead. But they had a wonderful technique - they cooked up their molten tar in this mobile steaming piece of junk on wheels, and drove slowly along the road, dropping great dollops of it onto the worst of the holes.

They didn't have any equipment to tamp it down (like a road roller or something), and didn't bother to cordon off the stretch of road they were working on, because the were relying on passing vehicles to drive over the molten mounds and flatten them into the holes.

I would guess the Or Bor Tor office had a budget of - say - 50K to repair the holes, and some enterprising official found a "contractor" prepared to do it for 10k and pocketed the difference. Add this to the daily income they are getting from the sip lors the operate.

Private enterprise is alive and well in Pong :D

The level of tolerance in Thailand is one of the main reasons many of us chose to live here, it also works against us in many ways as Thai's can be too tolerant, they just put up with about anything, this is not only the poor Thai. An example of rich Thai being tolerant - the "Highway" to Bangkok, how long is it now? how much money does that cost some of the big companies who have Trucks snarled up in traffic day after day! Any developed country people would be screaming for blood, Amazed at the shear incompetence, here...One day in the distant future.......

The level of tolerance in Thailand is one of the main reasons many of us chose to live here, it also works against us in many ways as Thai's can be too tolerant, they just put up with about anything, this is not only the poor Thai. An example of rich Thai being tolerant - the "Highway" to Bangkok, how long is it now? how much money does that cost some of the big companies who have Trucks snarled up in traffic day after day! Any developed country people would be screaming for blood, Amazed at the shear incompetence, here...One day in the distant future.......

Actually I think they are doing a good job widening the highway to Bangkok. True, the bypasses could be kept in better repair. All over the world it is the case that contractors will always do the easy bits first - they need to get the work done, get their claims processed and get money so they can continue working.

Actually I think they are doing a good job widening the highway to Bangkok. True, the bypasses could be kept in better repair. All over the world it is the case that contractors will always do the easy bits first - they need to get the work done, get their claims processed and get money so they can continue working.

That road to and from Bangkok (before you reach the motorway) at night has to be one of the most dangerous roads in the world - especially in bad weather. Even amongst Thais, it is notoriously dangerous, and many refuse to drive it after dark. It is a total shambles and a disgrace.

I read somewhere that all these new flyovers, (each one being a massive construction project), are being built so that the trucks don't have to slow down any more when encountering gradients in the road. I reckon if you ask the truck operators which they would prefer - having to slow down every now and then, or putting up with unbelievably dangerous and truck destroying diversions for 2 years or more, I bet I know the answer.

These flyovers are costing billions, and I'm bloody sure they are all part of a major corruption scam.

But smile and whistle and don't rock the boat. :o

Momentarily off the main topic but while we are on about road works.

The quality of the roadbuilding and repairs nationwide are dubious at best. I have made several round-trips to the north east by road and there is a trend for the right-hand lane to be a mess of rough patches and repair work. This leads to most 4-wheel traffic sticking in the left lane with the apparent nod from the traffic police. I think the increased volume of commercial road traffic in the past 10 years or so has exceeded the lifespan of the traditional Thai highway construction. The volume of 18-wheelers in and around the eastern seabord ports and factories is probably second only to Bangkok's commercial and shipping areas. I predict that any new highway will quickly deteriorate especially when the rainy season opens up the potholes and bad drainage.

The quality of the roadbuilding and repairs nationwide are dubious at best. I have made several round-trips to the north east by road and there is a trend for the right-hand lane to be a mess of rough patches and repair work. This leads to most 4-wheel traffic sticking in the left lane with the apparent nod from the traffic police. I think the increased volume of commercial road traffic in the past 10 years or so has exceeded the lifespan of the traditional Thai highway construction. The volume of 18-wheelers in and around the eastern seabord ports and factories is probably second only to Bangkok's commercial and shipping areas. I predict that any new highway will quickly deteriorate especially when the rainy season opens up the potholes and bad drainage.

Left or right? The overloaded, noisy polluting trucks destroy the left lane, then end up using the "fast" lane as left side is too bumpy, many parts of Sukhumvit are the same! At least it is getting some nice new tree's! :o

Left or right? The overloaded, noisy polluting trucks destroy the left lane, then end up using the "fast" lane as left side is too bumpy, many parts of Sukhumvit are the same! At least it is getting some nice new tree's! :o

Oops, I meant left lane destroyed and empty and right lane full of trucks and frustrated 4 wheelers. Sorry.

I think that some of the original wide highways were built under the tutelage of the US Army Corps of Engineers back in the '60's and '70's and are virtually indestructible. The original #36 to Rayong and #3 between Sattahip, past U-tapao on to Rayong for example.

Oops, I meant left lane destroyed and empty and right lane full of trucks and frustrated 4 wheelers. Sorry.

I think that some of the original wide highways were built under the tutelage of the US Army Corps of Engineers back in the '60's and '70's and are virtually indestructible. The original #36 to Rayong and #3 between Sattahip, past U-tapao on to Rayong for example.

You're probably right. that's what makes me so mad about the nightmare they have created on the 36 ? that starts at the end of the motorway and runs to Pattaya. OK the surface was a bit worn, but still serviceable, and the 4 lane highway served traffic pretty well, with occasional jams at peak times and holiday weekends.

All they needed to do was to add another lane, either way and INCREMENTALLY resurface the existing lanes. This could have been done with minimal disruption to traffic flow, if planned and executed professionally - as would have happened in most civilised countries.

But what did they do? They shut down vast stretches of the existing highway in it's entirety, constructed hair raising, inadequately signed / lit diversions that collapsed into pot holes within weeks, and started constructing these massive flyovers, which as far as I can see serve little purpose, except to lines someone's pockets. 2 years down the line, they are still only half completed!!

Sorry to keep on about this, but if you risk life and limb as often as I do travelling that road, you can't help but get a bit upset about it all.

You're probably right. that's what makes me so mad about the nightmare they have created on the 36 ? that starts at the end of the motorway and runs to Pattaya. OK the surface was a bit worn, but still serviceable, and the 4 lane highway served traffic pretty well, with occasional jams at peak times and holiday weekends.

All they needed to do was to add another lane, either way and INCREMENTALLY resurface the existing lanes. This could have been done with minimal disruption to traffic flow, if planned and executed professionally - as would have happened in most civilised countries.

But what did they do? They shut down vast stretches of the existing highway in it's entirety, constructed hair raising, inadequately signed / lit diversions that collapsed into pot holes within weeks, and started constructing these massive flyovers, which as far as I can see serve little purpose, except to lines someone's pockets. 2 years down the line, they are still only half completed!!

Sorry to keep on about this, but if you risk life and limb as often as I do travelling that road, you can't help but get a bit upset about it all.

I too have to travel this road a lot, and never fail to think about the Total stupidity and lack of planning, anywhere in the west it would be classified as criminal, who is the project engineer? I can say without fear of contradiction the man is a total Moron, how many Billions in lost time and revenue has this road cost? inestimable!

When the overhead road from Bang Na was built, I thought it would never be finished! But I think they did it quicker, with less disruption, same with the overhead to the Airport - it really is a national disgrace!

Edited by CGW

Well, surprisingly after a week waiting, I see no sign of improvement with the trucks on OUR roads! or the roads :D

At the very least I expected a note on this forum from Pattaya's finest stating they had informed there officers to Police this situation and apprehend any trucker who was obviously breaking the law, ie, belching smoke, noisy exhaust, speeding & God forbid, overloaded! :D

A note from 'The Truckers Care for Society" would have been nice? just a couple of lines to say "We have asked our drivers to respect the community & the law! :o

Or reassurance from the "Union", :bah: ah well, I live in hope :D

I shall continue to complain to anyone that will listen :bah:

The only difference I have noticed is the 2 guys with full faced helmets and dark visors that keep going by the house, looking in, my car seems to have an awful lot of flat tires lately as well :D

Cheers