Maybe Next Year.....

hellohello

As I am packing my bags for a trip "home". Im wondering about the prospects of a visa for my fiance next year. After following this site for over a year I realized that our chances were very small as my partner is self employed. :D

What "other" documentation would help in obtaining a tourist visa to the USA?

We have been living in the LOS for almost 3 years together and I understand all the important rules. But what about the little things?

Bills - pictures- joint property? What seemed to help the most for you girls?

And what can I do now to prepare?

It seems that on this forum 99% are men trying to get visa's for their G/f. What are the differences for the Farang Gals? if any? :o

Thanks HH

Hi, don't know about b-friends, but I suspect it is all the same. Does he pay taxes? Copies of his tax receipts showing he has regular income. Does he own his own house/property? Copies of those papers. If he rents, a letter from his landlord showing he is on a one year lease or something wouldn't hurt. Does he own a truck/car? Copy of registration then. Money in the bank, for quite some time as well. Who is he going to stay with? A letter from them stating that he will be staying there, they own their own house, have a job etc would be good. If you want to get a fiance visa (which leads to a green card and permanent residency) then you need to find out what kind of info they need about your relationship. The consular section has an email and does answer it pretty quickly. Best to get started now, get all your documentation together. And tell him to start putting things in his name now! When my husband and I first got married we had difficulty because everything was in his father's name, his truck etc. He comes from quite an old-fashioned family (ie dad hangs onto the stuff as long as possible :o ) so he didn't actually have much in his own name, which made it next to impossible for him to get a visa. good luck!

Well, I guess I'll just shock the heck out of you and tell you the whole story. We got married first, being young and naive, thought it would be easy to get him a tourist visa to the US. He was denied so we had to apply for permanent residence. He got a green card and we spent some time in the US. But to keep a green card he had to stay in the country and couldn't leave for more than a year at a time. At the time, we had no intention of living in the US permanently (still don't really), so after two years, he surrendered his green card. Assuming we stay married and he stays out of trouble (no police record!) he can always apply for a new one. And, according to the embassy (and yes, I got it in writing), there will be no prejudice that he already had a green card and gave it up. I'd like to say in hindsight that he should have kept his green card but, to be honest, it was probably the best decision for that time.

"Compelling Reason to Return" should be your guide. Every possible piece of evidence that supports that concept should be provided in your package.

So many U.S. citizens who are bf/gf of the applicant seem to ignore their own status when applied to their significant other. If you have been in a relationship for some time, then that would be a "compelling reason". providing you have compelling reasons to return to Thailand yourself. What are your ties to Thailand?

Any relationship to a applicant that might remotely suggest that the applicant might stay over the visa inorder to be with the U.S. citizen in the U.S. must be effectively rebutted. Keep in mind that the law states that the interviewing officer must begin the interview with the preconcieved idea that the applicant intends to stay over and the burden rests with the applicant to change the interviewers mind.

Every tie the U.S. citizen has to Thailand should be documented to the point that the interviewing officer will be convinced the love interest has a "compelling interest" to return to Thailand as well.

I urge a "rehearseal" with the applicant such that answers to question like "Why wouldn't your want to remain in the U.S." can be answered quickly and effectively with answers such as "Why would I want to remain in the U.S. and be a waiter/waitress in a Thai restaurant when I have ......" "My lover lives in Thailand, and I would not want to leave him/her" etc.

Be creative as well. Volunteer to give a scheduled lecture upon return and document it. Future appointments to close real estate deals, surgery, examinations, events like bridesmaid at a wedding, etc. add weight to the return motive when documented. A business man's work work and appointment itinerary upon return, a self employed persons commitments and work schedule upon return, etc.