Anybody Know Khemmarat?

Jessy

I may have a chance - via a government led teaching program - to teach in Khemmarat. Can you rent an appartment there? How far is it from Ubon Ratchatani? How long does it take to get there? What is there? Can you get UBC? Advise greatly appreciated.

I have been living in Khemarat for the past 3 years. Presently I am in Oz for the next few months but will be returning there in Feb. Renting apartments/houses should be no problem although you will need your girlfriend/wife to help you out to negotiate the finer details. A friend of mine rents a small 1 bedroom house right on the Mekong river for 2500 baht per month. There are plenty of "resorts" in town to stay at while searching for a rental. UBC is readily available in Khemarat but that will need to be organised in ubon or over the phone by a Thai speaking person. Ubon is about 105 kms south of Khemarat and there is buses going there every 1 or 2 hours for a price of 60 baht per person. Not real comfortable but its there if you want it.

Dont expect farang style bars in Khemarat as there are only about 6 or so permanant expats in town. The ones that do live there get together quite often to have a few beers and a yarn.

If you need any more info PM and I will gladly assist you in any way. Maybe we can catch up for a beer in Feb.

Carl