Irish Woman's Body Found In Thailand

tayto

I haven't seen any local news about this , anybody get any information about this?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1120/thailand.html

The body of an Irish woman has been found washed up on a beach in Thailand.

The Department of Foreign Affairs has confirmed the discovery and was in contact with the woman's family this morning.

The family is being provided with consular assistance.

Tuesday, 20 November 2007 20:00

The body of an Irish woman has been found washed up on a beach in Thailand.

The woman has been named as 28-year-old Linda Crossan from Carrickmacross in Co Monaghan.

Ms Crossan was a nurse at Beaumont Hospital in Dublin.

In a statement, her family said Ms Crossan drowned on a beach on the island of Ko Samui and while friends tried to save her they could not rescue her.

Ms Crossan's family thanked all who had helped them since the tragedy occurred, including local gardaí, and family and friends.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1120/thailand.html

her family said Ms Crossan drowned on a beach on the island of Ko Samui and while friends tried to save her they could not rescue her.

It doesn't sound like foul play to me. A tourist drowns in Thailand, sad but it does happen when people go swimming.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/norther...and/7103901.stm

Thai death woman was Dublin nurse

The name of the young Irish woman who drowned on a Thai island on Tuesday has been released.

She was Linda Crossan, a 28-year-old Dublin-based nurse from Greaghdermotitt, Carrickmacross, County Monaghan.

Friends who were travelling with Linda tired in vain to rescue the only girl in a family of five children.

In a statement the Crossan family said they did not know when her remains would be brought home.

Still strange that it wasn't reported in Thailand, as most deaths of foreigners are.

R.I.P

Family pays tribute to daughter who drowned off coast of Thailand

Linda Crossan, who drowned swimming in Thailand, was a gifted student who loved to travel

By Pat Tierney and Grainne Cunningham

Wednesday November 21 2007

The grieving family of a young Irish woman whose body was discovered on a beach in Thailand yesterday spoke last night of her passion for travel.

Patrick Crossan and his three sons, from Carrickmacross, issued a statement following the drowning of his only daughter Linda (28) off the coast of Koh Samui island, in the south east of the country.

Mr Crossan, a builder, said: "This is a sad end to what would have been great holiday."

Linda's father and her four brothers Jonathan, Donal, Declan and Noel confirmed the "tragic death" and said last night's statement would be their only comment for now.

They described how Linda had drowned despite the efforts of her friends to save her.

Academic

Her family said the former Scoil Rois student was a popular and academically successful student, who loved to travel and had visited Thailand before as well as spending time travelling around India.

In her spare time, she enjoyed books, and also loved writing and knitting.

Her family concluded the statement by thanking "the many people who have helped them since the tragedy, including the gardai in Carrickmacross, Dr Rory O Hanlon, and the many family and friends, who have all helped them".

They also said they were not yet sure "when Linda's remains will be brought home to Carrickmacross for burial".

The family are being helped by the Department of Foreign Affairs and the Irish Consulate in Thailand.

A former school friend said last night : "We are all terribly shocked and want to know what exactly happened to her."

- Pat Tierney and Grainne Cunningham

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/fa...nd-1225712.html

No news here in Thailand about this tragedy.

I guess news about deaths of foreigners related to accidents can only be found in local publications, like the two below from "Phuket Gazette":

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

German dies in head-on smash

PHUKET: German national Werner Josef Theisen died after the Nissan NV he was driving and a pickup truck collided on Airport Rd about midday last Saturday.

According to Pol Lt Col Jamroon Plaiduang from Thalang Police Station, three vehicles were involved in the accident, which occurred as Mr Werner was driving from Phuket International Airport towards Phuket City.

"Mr Werner swerved left to avoid a pickup truck coming towards him but he lost control and veered into the oncoming traffic, scraping a mini-van before colliding head-on with the pickup truck that he had been trying to avoid," said Col Jamroon.

The pickup driver, Thanee Promchart, 38, who was trying to overtake the mini-van when the accident occurred, was not injured in the accident.

However, he was charged with reckless driving causing death.

"Mr Werner's body has already been taken back to Germany by his widow," Pol Jamroon added.

Thursday, November 22, 2007

One reported dead, at least two injured in road accidents

PHUKET: A Russian woman has been reported to have died in an accident in Thalang late last night and a five-vehicle crash on the bypass road yesterday afternoon caused damage to several cars and left an American man in hospital.

Pol Lt Sathawat Srirattanapong, duty officer of Phuket City Police, told the Gazette that the accident in the southbound lane of the bypass road, opposite Keehin center, occurred about 3:30 pm yesterday.

In that accident, a foreigner riding a motorbike collided with the back of a Mazda pickup carrying tents and people in its bed. A Ford sedan, slamming on its brakes to avoid the accident, was hit from behind by a Toyota SUV.

A 10-wheeled truck then smashed into the back of the Toyota, the impact crumpling its entire rear end and pushing the car off the road and into the drainage ditch in the center of the median strip.

From his bed at Bangkok Hospital Phuket, 26-year-old American Lee Starnes, who was riding the motorbike, said, "The real irony was that I was on my way to Tesco-Lotus to buy a new helmet at the time of the accident because someone had stolen mine the day before.

"I don't know anything about the other cars or if it was related to my accident, but I don't think it was," he added.

Mr Starnes has already run up a bill of 30,000 baht in treatment costs for injuries comprising a broken collarbone and numerous bruises and cuts, including a head wound that required seven stitches to close, he said. He had also suffered a concussion.

Lt Sathawat said he planned to visit the American soon to investigate the cause of the crash.

In a separate incident, a local Thai-language newspaper has reported that a 25-year-old Russian woman died about 11 pm last night when the car she was riding in overturned at the "curve of death" on Thepkrasattri Rd in Baan Makprok, Mai Khao.

Another passenger in the car survived the crash and was rushed to hospital by volunteer rescue workers from the Kusoldharm Foundation, the report said.

The Gazette has yet to confirm the report.

Edited by 7

"Mr Werner (...) veered into the oncoming traffic, scraping a mini-van before colliding head-on with the pickup truck that he had been trying to avoid.

How is this possible? The pick up is overtaking the mini van, but the German crashed first into the van and afterwards head on with the pick up which was overtaking the van?

A friend of mine witnessed the accident. It ocurred before a hill, the driver of the pick up couldn't oversea the road but overtook the van anyway. The pick up then crashed head on with the vehicle of the German guy who never knew what hit him.