Best Internet Connection For East Pattaya

fat boy slim

We are on a small estate in east pattaya, roughly the same distance from the sukhumvit as the butterfly bar. we are trying to get phone lines installed but to no avail.

I have a plug in mobile phone conection which is OK but very slow. My friend had a satalite system and was paying 1500 baht per month and he always had problems.

Can anyone reccomend what they consider to be the best system now available to get the fastest internet. I have been told there are no wireless connections nearby but I may be wrong.

Someone mentioned having a big super duper satallite dish and having our own wireless connection from that. We would share the costs between the six houses on the estate and the estate is 100m long so therefore 50m from where any device would be placed.

I am no computer expert but any advice would be welcome.

Cost is not really an issue, within reason

We are on a small estate in east pattaya, roughly the same distance from the sukhumvit as the butterfly bar. we are trying to get phone lines installed but to no avail.

I have a plug in mobile phone conection which is OK but very slow. My friend had a satalite system and was paying 1500 baht per month and he always had problems.

Can anyone reccomend what they consider to be the best system now available to get the fastest internet. I have been told there are no wireless connections nearby but I may be wrong.

Someone mentioned having a big super duper satallite dish and having our own wireless connection from that. We would share the costs between the six houses on the estate and the estate is 100m long so therefore 50m from where any device would be placed.

You should be within range of CAT Telecom's service. It's not cheap, but it is dependable, and fast enough for video streaming, etc.

The CAT building is located on Pattaya Tai, just east of Third Road, on the north side of the street.

Yep, CAT telecom.

No phoneline needed, they bring in a dedicated cable for your internet.

Depending on the lay out of your estate you could share one connection wireless, they sell a very good external omni antenna in TukCom giving much improved range to your Wifi Access point!

If you could share between six houses, you could go for the fastest business package, 4mbps/1mbps for 5350 Baht/month.

This would equal to less then 900 Baht/house for what quite a few people would argue to be the best /fastest/most reliable internet currently available.

We are a similar distance from sukhumvit but nearer the croc farm. We had TOT install a phone line about 10 months ago. Cost around 7,000 for them to do it and 1,000 a month for the internet at 1mb. Download speed is about 660kbps, upload 350kbps. Have a few problems with connection but nothing too fustrating.

We are a similar distance from sukhumvit but nearer the croc farm. We had TOT install a phone line about 10 months ago. Cost around 7,000 for them to do it and 1,000 a month for the internet at 1mb. Download speed is about 660kbps, upload 350kbps. Have a few problems with connection but nothing too fustrating.

Have you checked with TT&T in Carrefour to see if you can get their ADSL. I live one kilometer East of Sukhumvit off of Siam country Club and I pay 790 a month plus tax. I pay for 512/256, and they automatically upgrade you to over one meg. I get 1276 download and 473 upload. great service at a reasonable price. TOT sucks.

Barry

I am in a very similar situation, out near Mabprachan lake. No more phone lines for now...

It would be great if someone with real knowledge could educate us cretins on these issues.

Anyone for a spot of IT?

One of our resident geeks, Monty, has recommended Banglam TV if you are in the correct area. You get cable TV and internet, although the internet varies in its speed, it is OK, or it is at Monty's place when I go there for a drink and to use the internet. :o The BTV package is relatively inexpensive. Maybe a hint as to the price Monty or anyone who has it.

Have you checked with TT&T in Carrefour to see if you can get their ADSL. I live one kilometer East of Sukhumvit off of Siam country Club and I pay 790 a month plus tax. I pay for 512/256, and they automatically upgrade you to over one meg. I get 1276 download and 473 upload. great service at a reasonable price. TOT sucks.

Barry

I don't think the OP can get TT&T, Barry. The limit of their transmitters is 3 kms. I live about 5 kms south of the nearest of those transmitters (at the Croc Farm). I had applied for TT&T (at the Carrefour office), and was told that they couldn't service me. I waited over 4 months, with continuing requests to them for information on plans to add transmitters. Nothing. That's when I gave up, and went to CAT.

I hate to pester but can I pursue my question on minimum contract length? Not just for CAT but for the other providers too like BTV. For me and I'm sure many other it's important not to be stuck in a 6 month contract when we're never quite sure we will be staying here for that long.

Edward, Since I know that I'll be here for a long time, I signed up for the one year contract, without bothering to get all the information about other options with CAT. If you'll call the lady who handles the installation admin, Kuhn Waree, I'm sure she'll give you all the info. Her number is 081-350-2042.

• 3 months later...

You should be within range of CAT Telecom's service. It's not cheap, but it is dependable, and fast enough for video streaming, etc.

The CAT building is located on Pattaya Tai, just east of Third Road, on the north side of the street.

Hello,

I'm looking for the fastest internet connection near Pattaya, do you know if it is near the CAT building?

(it seems to be near the CAT building in Phuket city if you want the fastest internet connection on Phuket island)

Is it possible to get the list of exchange stations locations in Pattaya?

Thanks a lot.

Edited by frenchFARANGbkk

Hello,

I'm looking for the fastest internet connection near Pattaya, do you know if it is near the CAT building?

(it seems to be near the CAT building in Phuket city if you want the fastest internet connection on Phuket island)

Thanks a lot.

What is your rough location?

Pattaya city is very well covered with high speed ADSL capable phone lines available pretty much everywhere between Sukhumvit road and the beach, and running from Naklua all the way to the end of Jomtien beach.

It is only on the East side of Sukhumvit where coverage starts to be spotty!

I guess the fastest you currently can get is the 4 mbps/1mbps from CAT. Not sure the other ISP's go over 3 mbps.

Hello,

Thanks a lot.

What is your rough location?

Pattaya city is very well covered with high speed ADSL capable phone lines available pretty much everywhere between Sukhumvit road and the beach, and running from Naklua all the way to the end of Jomtien beach.

It is only on the East side of Sukhumvit where coverage starts to be spotty!

I guess the fastest you currently can get is the 4 mbps/1mbps from CAT. Not sure the other ISP's go over 3 mbps.

Thanks, but any idea about where are the exchange stations located? As the closer to the station you stay the best your DSL connection will be.

Thanks again.

Thanks, but any idea about where are the exchange stations located? As the closer to the station you stay the best your DSL connection will be.

Thanks again.

I only know a few, but inside Pattaya/Jomtien I reckon there's maybe over 100 sub stations!

CAT, with their very limited coverage already has over 20 substations...

Additionally, most ISP's will limit the line distance to 3 km, further away and they will simply not hook you up!

At 3 km, on a good cable, the speed capability of even the first ADSL standard is higher then the fastest package they sell (over 6 mbps).

CAT always puts in a new, dedicated cable just for your internet connection, so when they accept you, your line will be capable of supporting max speed of your internet package (which tops out at 4 mbps now).

Believe me, the speed bottle neck is not your ADSL line to the exchange, but just the available international bandwidth available in Thailand...

If you have poor ADSL connectivity (NOT bad internet speeds, but dropping connections etc), it'll be pretty much always caused by sub standard phone lines

internode-adsl2-distance.jpg

I live in the village behind Maneken Piss and have TT&T Maxnet. 1 Mbit is fine, 2 Mbit results in permanent cu-offs. Took me about a year to get the line, though...The problem here is that they do not invest in new cables as simple as it is...