Out Of Nowhere - A Good Thai Gay-themed Movie!

lothda

Hello again, well, the long wait is over - I received the Limited Edition Director's Cut today - without the wooden toy. They will notify customers when it's available. The package is sealed, though, so in order to put the toy in its proper place you will have to break it open! Not good for the collectors among us.

I did open the package and it has a wealth of extras inside. There are postcards, a songsheet for "Gun lae gun" (Together) and souvenirs from the movie. A CD titled "Music from Motion Picture Soundtrack" is also included - a very pleasant surprise as it includes all the music cues from the movie and not a single track from the separately available "Original Soundtrack" album :o . The movie itself is spread over 2 DVDs and includes Thai subtitles :D . All the extras from the theatrical version DVD are included. A third DVD is absolutely packed with new extras, including a "Making Of", deleted scenes, a recording of the first performance of the August band (with very bad sound), a featurette about the music, a rather easy to find easter egg (featuring the director at a question and answer session at House Cinema where the Director's Cut was first shown) and, amazingly, the Theatrical Cut of the movie with a Video Commentary by the director. Another reason to go to Thai language school again :D .

Cheers,

L.

Edited by lothda

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi :o

You beat me - i, too, managed to get mine yesterday, thanks to begging my boss to let me go half an hour earlier, followed by some absolutely Banzai-style motorbike riding :D I, too, find it a shame that i have to open the package just to include the doll later - well, it is how it is. According to the included letter (which you need to bring to the shop to collect the doll once available) the problem lies with the wood they used to manufacture those - it got moldy.

I didn't analyze the third disc yet, i am surprised to hear that it includes the theatrical version, too - i WAS wondering why it is a DVD-9, which means "lotsa stuff". The movie itself being split over two discs also is a "new" for me - they even fit "Titanic" on one, and that runs longer than this one. Maybe it's worth mentioning that the first DVD is a "DVD-9" and the second is a "DVD-5", for those who wish to create a *cough* backup, like i will for sure (so my original, one of only 1,000 produced, will not get scratched should my DVD drive hang or something).

Also, when playing it on the computer, be aware that it is a "region" DVD - under Vista, WMP refuses to play it (it demands i set the region of my drive from "1" to "3", something that can only be done 4 times or so). Use VLC player which doesn't care for regions.

Best regards......

Thanh

Hi

I am in Canada, so it's hard to get the Director's cut of Love of Siam. I was also reading somewhere that this DVD might be able to be played in Canada.

I like to see how you find the director's cut:

1. Did it explain why Tong said what he did at the end?

2. Is June really Tang?

I had conjectured some points and they could be seen in the following link:

- http://streetsmartsukhumvit.multiply.com/reviews/item/21

I think I have seen the movie three or four times and I can't help but listening to the theme song repeatedly.

LOL.

So I definitely, positively, greatly appreciate for whatever you could provide.

:o

Edited by musclesgam

I went to two each outlets of Boomerang and Mang Pang and at both eyes were "rolled back" at each other (silly farang) and NO ONE had ANY IDEA what I was talking about as to the new "special edition". At only one shop, Boomerang MBK, the regular edition was available as the "only edition there is, sir". Is there a specific branch I need to go to to TRY and get my name on a list or POSSIBLY get a copy?

If i understand correctly, this "special edition" was sold out within the first few days of it becoming known. There are only 1,000 (one thousand) produced and they are sold out, which is why you get the "rolled eyes" look.

But the set does most definitely exist, i've got two of them here (i had two orders and really got two!) Will attach a picture to let you see. There's three DVD's, one CD, 11 pictures, a musical score and supposedly a wooden doll but that will be distributed later, probably around the 20th of April.

Best regards.....

Thanh

post-13387-1207385193_thumb.jpg

He he and one more, just to show off my whole collection.........

2x "Special Edition Director's Cut" DVD set

1x regular DVD

1x VCD

1x Album "OST"

1x Album "August - Thanx"

All genuine!!

Plus i have seen the movie in the cinema and have a *cough* .avi version with English subtitles.

Best regards....

Thanh

post-13387-1207386101_thumb.jpg

If i understand correctly, this "special edition" was sold out within the first few days of it becoming known. There are only 1,000 (one thousand) produced and they are sold out, which is why you get the "rolled eyes" look.

But the set does most definitely exist, i've got two of them here (i had two orders and really got two!) Will attach a picture to let you see. There's three DVD's, one CD, 11 pictures, a musical score and supposedly a wooden doll but that will be distributed later, probably around the 20th of April.

Best regards.....

Thanh

Actually, I ordered two "Director's Cut" version on eThaiCD.com on Friday morning and they've been sent out by UPS.

I think I will get them on Monday.

To those who are crazy about this product, check the website and go get it ASAP.

I know the price is much higher on eThaiCD.com, but this is definitely the perfect chance to get it since we're not in Thailand.

Yeah, "OST" and "August - Thanx" are completely different. The "OST" contains somgs from the movie while the other contains new songs from the same band. Originally "August" was only supposed to exist in the movie, however trheir music became so successful that the band was kept alive.

No idea if an English subtitled version will be officially released........

Best regards.....

Thanh

<br />He he and one more, just to show off my whole collection.........

Well in my case I'm not just so certain why I would run off to the stores, just to get a movie that ain't got English subtitles, I now understand. I'll wait to see for the full release now. Or it might show up ...

Polish up on your rip and burn for those SRTs.

to say that I liked it. <br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

I liked it too. But I've been through it 3x and still not sure I followed the plot all the way. It looks and sounds GREAT on my HD television/Surround :-) , best at ZOOM, but then the subtitles fall off the screen.

Hi again everybody, the latest: today, April 9, to my surprise, the rumoured "plain" (not limited) DVD version of the Director's Cut became available at Boomerang. It consists of just the first two discs of the Limited Edition Director's Cut set, so it doesn't have the extras DVD and the soundtrack CD.

Anybody who missed the limited one or who wants to complete their collection (that means you, Thanh :o ), go for it! But don't ask about English subtitles...

I dare say i'll have the subs in less than two weeks :D But thanks for the tip - how much is the set? I'll sure get it, for collecting purpose indeed.

Best regards....

Thanh

Hello, the "member" price is 469 Baht, rather high considering that the recommended price of 599 is only 100 higher than the theatrical version - and I've seen that as low as 259. However it's a 2 disc set, not just one, so no real complaints here...

post-44127-1207793556_thumb.jpg

post-44127-1207793568_thumb.jpg

Edited by lothda

However it's a 2 disc set, not just one, so no real complaints here...<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Alright, I got it (well not yet, actually, GOT it yet - but I will if I see the ... ). I thought the special edition of Rak Haeng was already their director's cut and the discussion had drifted to BLS.

2 DVDs vs 3 DVDs something still might not make sense. Web vs store?

Love of Siam [ DVD ] (Director's Cut) [ No Box ]

Love of Siam [ DVD ] (Director's Cut). Starring Mario Muarer, Witwisit Hirunwongkul, Aticha Pongsilpipat [ Thai soundtrack ] [ Thai subtitle ] [ DVD - Zone 3 - PAL DVD system ] (3 DVDs + OST CD - No Box)

Hello :o

Thank you very much for the information. I won't have time to get it before next week tough - i'll be off to Chiang Mai tomorrow early afternoon, no time to get to Central Bangna today or tomorrow.

@Ponbkk

Iodtha is comparing the theatrical version (one DVD!) against the "Director's Cut" (two DVD's!) for the actual movie. The 3rd DVD in the "Limited Edition" set contains extra stuff such as "deleted scenes" etc. The sets that you listed the first one is probably just the "normal Director's cut" movie without any extras, the second is the 3-DVD set like the "limited edition" but without the doll, pictures etc. Also the wording is strange - the "limited edition" set contains one extra audio CD but that is NOT the "OST" album which is sold seperately! As i have that, too, i can easily compare them.

Best regards.....

Thanh

However it's a 2 disc set, not just one, so no real complaints here...<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Alright, I got it (well not yet, actually, GOT it yet - but I will if I see the ... ). I thought the special edition of Rak Haeng was already their director's cut and the discussion had drifted to BLS.

2 DVDs vs 3 DVDs something still might not make sense. Web vs store?

Love of Siam [ DVD ] (Director's Cut) [ No Box ]

Love of Siam [ DVD ] (Director's Cut). Starring Mario Muarer, Witwisit Hirunwongkul, Aticha Pongsilpipat [ Thai soundtrack ] [ Thai subtitle ] [ DVD - Zone 3 - PAL DVD system ] (3 DVDs + OST CD - No Box)

Hi Ponbkk, I understand your confusion about the different editions at ethaicd. Please let me try to clarify:

There are now 3 DVD releases of this movie:

1. Special Edition (Theatrical version of the movie on 1 DVD in "notebook" packaging, barcode 8858717200440);

2. Limited Edition Director's Cut (Director's Cut of the movie on 2 DVDs, 1 Extras DVD, 1 Audio-CD, songsheet, postcards, wooden doll -when available, memorabilia in box packaging, barcode 8858717200464);

3. Director's Cut (Director's Cut of the movie on 2 DVDs in a digipack, barcode 8858717200853).

Anything else ("no box") is not an official release. Note also that ethaicd has "Currently not available." as the status for their expensive offers. I can confirm that the Limited Edition is completely sold out and cannot be bought in any DVD shop in Thailand. Unless ethaicd secured a supply beforehand, they will not be able to sell that edition.

You can take a look at all the versions on the Boomerang Shop website. Just google for boomerangshop, go to the first match and search for "love of siam".

Cheers,

L.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello :o

Sorry haven't replied here for a while. Well since last Saturday i HAVE the "plain Director's Cut" set as well, didn't open the package (and won't - collector's item!) but the price is right, 465 Baht.

Now still waiting for the dolls from the "Limited Edition" set, when i spoke to my Boomerang-Boy he told me "probably the 25th" which is today, but haven't received a call yet.

Best regards.....

Thanh

Well....

Latest info from Boomerang - the dolls will "possibly" be available on the 15th of May. But the guy said "not so sure about that either".

I wonder what the problem is in manufacturing 1.000 of those?????

Best regards......

Thanh

Hi and thanks for the doll info. I've read that it should be out sometime in June and that the reason for the delay was that the whole first production run was made of rotting wood...

Let's wait and hope they can do better than that.

Meanwhile the Boomerang shop at Central World has one of the dolls sitting on a shelf behind the counter - looks cute... but it's not available to take away.

Cheers!

I just saw this movie - yeah, slow off the mark, I know. Generally enjoyable and minimum homophia involved, which is a rare delight.

BUT. the 'kiss' scene was a BIG disappointment. Badly lit and Mew about as passionate as a dead slug. If he's so in love, how could he keep his hands firmly on the table and off of Tong? In fact, why weren't there several kiss scenes if feelings were so strong? Talk about chaste. As for Tong staying the night in Mew's room and the two of them not getting it on, how believable is that??? Two straight teenagers sharing a bed would have been at each other within minutes!!!

Yes, it is leaps and bounds ahead of 'Iron Ladies' and other movies, but overall a pretty timid attempt, I felt.

Let's face it, most of the film's audience wanted to see them get it on, surely? If there's a sequel let's hope the director and producers will be a bit more brave.

Dear.....

Remember that this is Thailand..... that kiss scene was about roughly 12 lightyears ahead of ANYthing in Thai cinema! I've seen plenty of "gay movies" here and none was so touching and realistic as this one.

Heck, this is a country where SMOKING and ALCOHOL gets blurred out on TV and any view of breasts, too, even in &lt;deleted&gt;' cartoons!

Best regards.....

Thanh

Also remember than the kiss was the first exploration of their sexuality that either of them had undertaken. They were only just discovering that they might be gay. The kiss seemed pretty much spot on for two teenagers in that situation no matter how much the audience wanted to see a bit of tongue-lashing :o

Dear.....

Remember that this is Thailand..... that kiss scene was about roughly 12 lightyears ahead of ANYthing in Thai cinema! I've seen plenty of "gay movies" here and none was so touching and realistic as this one.

Heck, this is a country where SMOKING and ALCOHOL gets blurred out on TV and any view of breasts, too, even in &lt;deleted&gt;' cartoons!

Best regards.....

Thanh

Hi Thanh

I agree that LOS is a giant leap for gaykind in Thai cinema and welcome it for that. It was also 'very touching' as you say. I DID enjoy it. I felt, though, that Mew's reservedness in the kissing department didn't exactly tally with him publicly professing his love in that song moments before. I wasn't hoping for, and didn't expect any sex scenes of course in a movie for general release. Re censorship in Thailand: I long ago gave up trying to find ANY reasoning behind Thai censors' decisions! :o If (heaven forbid) the plot had called for Tong to shoot Mew that would have been fine by the censors, I'm sure. But a close up on the tongue action? No way!!! Looking forward to the sequel and more enlightened times....

Himachal