Out Of Nowhere - A Good Thai Gay-themed Movie!

lothda

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi :o

Yeah, i found out about that too! When i posted my first message here (Thursday late evening after seeing it on TV) the website stated only that this movie will show, starting that same day. However no showtimes given.

And yesterday it already said "Sold out to 8th February" and STILL no showtimes. I guess you really need to call them to get either info or a ticket.

I think after that news was on TV about them showing that movie, every gay in Thailand was on the phone to let others know.... which is why now it's sold out completely :D

Best regards....

Thanh

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, i found out about that too! When i posted my first message here (Thursday late evening after seeing it on TV) the website stated only that this movie will show, starting that same day. However no showtimes given.

And yesterday it already said "Sold out to 8th February" and STILL no showtimes. I guess you really need to call them to get either info or a ticket.

I think after that news was on TV about them showing that movie, every gay in Thailand was on the phone to let others know.... which is why now it's sold out completely :D

Best regards....

Thanh

I went to RCA Theater yesterday to buy the tickets for Rak Haeng Siam... and after buying TWO tickets... and having lunch at the accompanying TOPS supermarket... I got to discussing, with my Thai Boyfriend, the MEANING of what was written, in THAI, on a long letter, regarding the movie, that was posted on the door of Theater 3.

Well, my b/f's English is pretty limited, and he couldn't translate it well to me, but I knew it concerned "deleted scenes"... and out of concern about the posibility that RCA may have once again deleted the additional scenes... I went back to the theater...

THERE, at the ticket counter once again, and luckily with the aid of a Thai lady patron who could speak Engish... I discovered, much to my dismay, that the movie was being shown WITHOUT English subtitles.

AMAZINGLY (or not!) the ticket teller had not thought to tell this farang OR my b/f this "minor" detail during the original transaction.

In as I DO NOT UNDERSTAND Thai, except for a couple hundred words, and it absolutely bores me to madness to have to sit through a Thai movie or performance in spoken Thai, not understanding Jack shit... I gave them back my tickets, and got my money back.

I used the experience to illustrate the meaning of the word "disappointment" (mak mak) to my English class last night.

I am... SO SAD about not being able to see the extended version... as we had driven, by motorcy, 2 long hours in the heat of the day to buy the tickets, and had looked forward to this, all these weeks.

Eh, what the fuc_k... life goes on, life sucks sometimes, as my b/f and I are SO fond of saying...

NABUHLA!!!

Pawpcorn

is the regular (shorter) version with english subtitles not being shown anywhere in BKK anymore ?

oh and Thanh-BKK, do you know more about that HOUSE RCA cinema ?

when I lived in Europe, I was a huge fan of independent movies, but for directors such as ANGELOPOULOS, WENDERS, EGOJAN, KAURISMÄKKI the term "unseen in Thailand" applies.....

do you know if they usually show their independent movies with english subtitles (or, even rather likely, the english version with THAI subtitles ?). or is that all only THAI-Indie-Movies ?

Hello :o

Well i have been there three times, seeing "Down The River" (Thai movie, had English subs), "Formula 17" (in Chinese, with Thai AND English subs) and "Tropical Malady" which had English subs as well. So yeah, usually they do show them, which is why i wonder that "Rak Haeng Siam" doesn't.

But then i guess that this version of Rak Haeng Siam was not meant to be shown in theaters and therefor maybe subs haven't been produced? After all, the films that "House" shows ARE commercial, just some either not at all in Thailand (Formula 17) or just not for theaters (like "Down The River" which was some kind of student project that was released straight-to-VCD (of course i got that VCD too).

With best regards.....

your Thanh

I'm not really interested in the movie.........just tell me where I can find Mew!!

"Mew", in real life, is still a university student in Bangkok, as is Mario, who played "Tong".

I know this, because a student of mine knows BOTH Mario and the student who plays Mew, since she goes to the same school, and is friends with Mario.

I won't reveal the name of the university for the purposes of retaining his privacy...

But I WILL say that Mario is "a boy" (as they say here in Thailand) and "Mew" is very very much "a girl".

Mystery solved! (for some)

Just another vote... God, "Mew" is so beautiful....!!! :o

Best to all,

Pawpcorn

P.S. My student confided in me that her girfriends often wonder if they will ever be able to find a boyfriend, since SO MANY of the Thai boys are gay! <That's what SHE said(!), don't flame me...!>

I thought that was kind of a nice thing to hear, think about, dream about, and fantisize about... <you get the drift!> :D

Hello to all who are waiting for the DVD release. The release date is Feb 14 for the normal version and Feb 28 for the extended Director's Cut which will be a Limited Edition (see pictures). As expected none have English subtitles. Sahamongkol Movie Café, 1320 Phaholyothin Road near Sanam Pao BTS station (walk to Aree on the west side of Phaholyothin Road and you will see it after a few hundred metres) was taking pre-orders for the Limited Editon at 950 Baht. The Boomerang price will be 999 Baht. I'm getting the LE for the packaging and extras alone.

post-44127-1202609375_thumb.jpg

post-44127-1202609401_thumb.jpg

Edited by lothda

Good morning :D

Thank you SO much for the information!! If i manage to, i will get them both....regardless of the subs (and really that WAS expected).

Best regards.....

Thanh

You're very welcome - but sorry to say Boomerang changed the release dates today. They are now Febuary 28 for the standard and March 7 for the limited edition. :o Expect further delays... I'll report any that I become aware of.

Good morning :D

Thank you SO much for the information!! If i manage to, i will get them both....regardless of the subs (and really that WAS expected).

Best regards.....

Thanh

You're very welcome - but sorry to say Boomerang changed the release dates today. They are now Febuary 28 for the standard and March 7 for the limited edition. :o Expect further delays... I'll report any that I become aware of.

Again, thank you VERY much for the update.... a question as you mentioned "Boomerang". WHERE will it be released, i.e. can i go to Mang Pong on the release day and expect to get it there or do i have to go to some obscure place on the other side of town? While i don't mind paying whatever price they ask for the DVDs, i DO mind having to travel 150 kilometers thru Bangkok's traffic chaos to get them (and possibly after finally finding the place being told "sorry sir, out of stock"... wouldn't be the first time!)

I think they maybe made the delay in releases because the film is STILL shown at "House" right up to the 13th.

Best regards......

Thanh

Hi :D

Again, thank you VERY much for the update.... a question as you mentioned "Boomerang". WHERE will it be released, i.e. can i go to Mang Pong on the release day and expect to get it there or do i have to go to some obscure place on the other side of town? While i don't mind paying whatever price they ask for the DVDs, i DO mind having to travel 150 kilometers thru Bangkok's traffic chaos to get them (and possibly after finally finding the place being told "sorry sir, out of stock"... wouldn't be the first time!)

I think they maybe made the delay in releases because the film is STILL shown at "House" right up to the 13th.

Best regards......

Thanh

Hi again, you may well be right about the reason for the delay. Also the packaging for both releases is not the standard DVD keepcase, so it takes more time to produce.

For purchasing the DVDs I wouldn't count on Mang Pong - they will stock it, but they will not sell it at a reduced price. I'm sure you know the Boomerang chain of shops with outlets at major shopping malls - the biggest one at Central World, 4th level. They will have it in stock on the release date (late in the day rather than early in the morning) or you can (pre-)order it from their website if you don't mind paying for the shipping. (The ordering part of their site is in Thai only, though). The shop price will be slightly higher than the price on their website unless you purchase a membership.

I'll send you a PM with the links to their website as it's not allowed to post commercial links here :o .

Thanks a lot for that. I was definitely not aware of that company, now i know. Well i DID create an account on their site but i don't know if all worked out (English language is available!) however i got NO confirmation for my account, the system does NOT allow for adding more than one item to the "cart" (hence wanting two items requires two separate orders inclusive two times the shipping fees!!) and the payment options are sparse - there is "credit card" but no option to enter any credit card details and "money transfer" again without any instructions. Transfer how much to where? Should i guess that??

Anyway placed an order for each one of the DVD's and let's see what happens. I sent them an e-mail too asking for these points, i.e. how exactly do i pay, and why does it need to be two orders? Curious if i'll get a reply (experience with Thai companies - e-mail is usually completely ignored).

With best regards.....

your Thanh

I'll send you a PM with the links to their website as it's not allowed to post commercial links here :o .

I'm sure that no-one would complain if you posted the link without making it into a droplink.

I've heard from ethaicd.com that the VCD version (no subtitles) is now available at $8US including worldwide delivery from their website.

I'm sure that no-one would complain if you posted the link without making it into a droplink.

I've heard from ethaicd.com that the VCD version (no subtitles) is now available at $8US including worldwide delivery from their website.

Yes, absolutely right, the VCD is out since yesterday. I've seen it at B2S and Mang Pong. Don't even ask about subtitles...

Thanks a lot for that. I was definitely not aware of that company, now i know. Well i DID create an account on their site but i don't know if all worked out (English language is available!) however i got NO confirmation for my account, the system does NOT allow for adding more than one item to the "cart" (hence wanting two items requires two separate orders inclusive two times the shipping fees!!) and the payment options are sparse - there is "credit card" but no option to enter any credit card details and "money transfer" again without any instructions. Transfer how much to where? Should i guess that??

Anyway placed an order for each one of the DVD's and let's see what happens. I sent them an e-mail too asking for these points, i.e. how exactly do i pay, and why does it need to be two orders? Curious if i'll get a reply (experience with Thai companies - e-mail is usually completely ignored).

With best regards.....

your Thanh

I've never ordered from them as I live in Bangkok and can go to one of their shops anytime. Sorry that you have problems with their ordering system. I tried to put both versions in the shopping cart and it worked. Make sure that your browser has cookies and Javascript enabled for that site...

Meanwhile you were absolutely right - House now shows the Director's Cut until March 5 and the new DVD release date is March 7 as stated earlier. Pretty obvious that House gets the business first.

Edited by lothda

Sure, as long as the film runs in the theater (and even in just one as here - House) it won't be available on disc.

As i already expected, i never heard from Boomerang. Today i tried to call them several times but the phone rings out - nobody picking up. Not surprisingly, a "support ticket" opened on their support system was so far ignored as well. Maybe they are just not interested in money? After all what i need to know is "how do i pay for my order".... i don't mind them sending me two separate packets (as the release dates for the two versions are independent of each other anyway).

I live in Bangkok too, but all too often i went to shops that i have been told had something available, only to find out that this is NOT the case. Particularly annoying if that involves a LONG trip all the way thru Bangkok.

By the way my browser does allow cookies etc, i use Firefox. Still it didn't work - after adding one item i can only "proceed to checkout" and that places the order, if i go back to the other item and add that it will be the lone one in the "cart" as the first one has disappeared. But then - this is pretty much precisely the first time that i ordered ANYthing online :D

Best regards.....

Thanh

Sure, as long as the film runs in the theater (and even in just one as here - House) it won't be available on disc.

As i already expected, i never heard from Boomerang. Today i tried to call them several times but the phone rings out - nobody picking up. Not surprisingly, a "support ticket" opened on their support system was so far ignored as well. Maybe they are just not interested in money? After all what i need to know is "how do i pay for my order".... i don't mind them sending me two separate packets (as the release dates for the two versions are independent of each other anyway).

I live in Bangkok too, but all too often i went to shops that i have been told had something available, only to find out that this is NOT the case. Particularly annoying if that involves a LONG trip all the way thru Bangkok.

By the way my browser does allow cookies etc, i use Firefox. Still it didn't work - after adding one item i can only "proceed to checkout" and that places the order, if i go back to the other item and add that it will be the lone one in the "cart" as the first one has disappeared. But then - this is pretty much precisely the first time that i ordered ANYthing online :D

Best regards.....

Thanh

Hi again,

sorry about your problems with Boomerang. It seems their shopping website isn't working properly. And they should answer the phone... Maybe their ordering system isn't used a lot. They have about 15 shops all around Bangkok, so one might be reasonably near where you live. In any case, their outlet at Central World is bound to have them in stock. The VCD is the number one bestseller already, so the DVD will sell just as well. They should stock large quantities of the DVD in all their shops. I'll keep everybody up to date about it.

Cheers!

Here's everybody's favourite scene from the movie - enjoy!

Also you might want to check out the first CD by the August Band. It has a bonus VCD with videos of the two main songs from the movie, also in karaoke versions with subtitles in western script, so you can sing along! Available at B2S etc.

post-44127-1203128937_thumb.jpg

post-44127-1203129847_thumb.jpg

Edited by lothda

Hi there :o

Yeah, a second e-mail and a number of further phone call attempts went without any trace of success, so i now put all, my hope in the availability of the DVD's in shops. Apparently there is a "Boomerang" shop in Central Bangna, that's close enough to me - the problem is the usual with working people: That shopping center opens so late that i will have about 5 minutes to find the DVD before i have to go to work! And since this DVD is such a mega superseller, i am 100% convinced that it will be sold out the very first day. "Stock large numbers"..? Not in Thailand!

Central World is a cool one hour's trip from me (i live in Bangna) and unreachable during the week (work!!) but i think i will push my luck today and try to get the VCD. I already have the "Original Soundtrack" CD (which also includes a VCD with music video etc) so i can as well get the VCD, both DVD's and August's CD of course as well.

Hey THANK YOU SO MUCH for informing me that such CD is available!! Even tough my boyfriend sticks to the television every free minute in his life, he zaps all the commercials so i never knew they had released a CD already!! Is that CD available at Mang Pong? (I have no idea what is B2S but i know of Mang Pong in Lotus On Nut, i can get there quickly by motorbike).

With best regards.....

your Thanh

Hi there :D

Yeah, a second e-mail and a number of further phone call attempts went without any trace of success, so i now put all, my hope in the availability of the DVD's in shops. Apparently there is a "Boomerang" shop in Central Bangna, that's close enough to me - the problem is the usual with working people: That shopping center opens so late that i will have about 5 minutes to find the DVD before i have to go to work! And since this DVD is such a mega superseller, i am 100% convinced that it will be sold out the very first day. "Stock large numbers"..? Not in Thailand!

Central World is a cool one hour's trip from me (i live in Bangna) and unreachable during the week (work!!) but i think i will push my luck today and try to get the VCD. I already have the "Original Soundtrack" CD (which also includes a VCD with music video etc) so i can as well get the VCD, both DVD's and August's CD of course as well.

Hey THANK YOU SO MUCH for informing me that such CD is available!! Even tough my boyfriend sticks to the television every free minute in his life, he zaps all the commercials so i never knew they had released a CD already!! Is that CD available at Mang Pong? (I have no idea what is B2S but i know of Mang Pong in Lotus On Nut, i can get there quickly by motorbike).

With best regards.....

your Thanh

Hey, so sorry about Boomerang - maybe you're the first one you ever ordered from them via their webpage :o .

Mang Pong should have the August CD and the movie VCD as well. Actually I've seen the VCD at Lotus On Nut the other day, but in the small magazine/CD/DVD section in the Lotus supermarket itself. There's another CD/DVD shop on the upper floor that had it. And, yes, Central Bagna has a Boomerang shop. So that might be the best bet for you. I'm sure they'll reserve copies of the DVDs for you - and they are open until late, so you might better pop in after work if your schedule permits it.

Good luck!

Hello :o

Thank you so much for all. Yeah, i can sauy i had a lucky day today and was yet again confronted with typical Thai "we have no idea but won't tell YOU that" behavior.

So first i messed around with my Bulldozer for a few hours (i.e. did some modifications to my motorbike again), then set off on a quest to obtain the CD's.

First station: Lotus On Nut. Ok so that shop in there is NOT a "Mang Pong" but it's called "Imagine". They had NEITHER the VCD nor the August-CD. And "no idea" when those or the DVD's would be available. BUT they pointed out that the shop inside (that magazine shop) *might* have them. So there i went.

And there indeed they had the VCD. It's a three-disc-set. 149 Baht, i bought it. Asking for the August-CD they had the nerve to tell me that "that band is only made for the movie, they don't make songs". Cool advice, no?

So i set off to Central Bangna. First stop: Mang Pong, ground floor. They too had the VCD, but no August CD. "Sorry, sold out already". Ok, so at least they HAD them. When it would be available? "Next month, sir". Just for fun i asked about the DVDs - and got to hear the following: "It was released last week, there is two versions. But it is sold out too, and on back order. We will have both versions in two weeks!". Which would make it end of February, and in my opinion - NO WAY. asked there "where can i find Boomerang shop" and got "no idea, sorry". When i turned to leave, a guy came after me and told me "you can try B2S on fourth floor, maybe they have the music CD". I thanked him - he had overheard my discussion with the sales girl and didn't get involved, seems he was a part-time worker only or something low-rank.

So off to the fourth floor i went, found B2S (and now i know what THAT is), and yup, got August's album there - for 189 Baht. Plus they were friendly, "the DVD will be out on 7th of next month but not sure if we get them here, you better go to Boomerang one floor up". Wow!

So i went, found it indeed on the fifth floor, and the (gay and cute!) attendant who couldn't get much closer to me when showing me the catalogue (i am NOT making this up! very lucky my BF didn't go there with me!) explained in detail and perfectly fluent english that the DVD will indeed be available on March 7th and that i better come early because it "will sell out quickly". I asked about the online ordering problems and he didn't know about that, but he took my phone number and name (i am not sure if only for the business or for himself too?) and punched those into a computer there. Then he said "now we reserve one for you for first day but still please come early if you can". I told him then that i want BOTH versions, and again he punched something in his computer and said "no problem". I left there with a smile - good service, very much the opposite of their web presence.

So for now i have the VCD, the original soundtrack CD and August's album. I will get both DVD versions. I guess that makes me a collector, no? Xixixi.

With best regards......

Thanh

Hello :D

Thank you so much for all...

So for now i have the VCD, the original soundtrack CD and August's album. I will get both DVD versions. I guess that makes me a collector, no? Xixixi.

With best regards......

Thanh

Hello Thanh,

you're very welcome. Happy to hear about your progress :o . But this definitely tells us to avoid Mang Pong - if their pricing didn't already turn you away. Well, I'll skip the VCD version, but I've placed a pre-order for the Limited Edition DVD and I'll get the regular version also, so we're collectors both :D

The standard Love of Siam DVD as opposed to the DIrector's Cut is out today (Feb 19) at Boomerang. Not all shops have it in stock yet, but it is available at MBK. It won a Thai film award as best movie of 2007 on the weekend, which may be the reason for today's release. Good luck in getting a copy, it's bound to be popular.

Yup, it's true. You beat me to it - i just got off the phone with Boomerang, the cutie from the shop called me to tell me it's available :D dam_n and i'm sitting here at the office. I told him i'll be there tomorrow morning 11 AM sharp to pick it up (and as it is my birthday tomorrow, couldn't be any better!)

I verified that the "Director's Cut" is still due on 7th of March.

Coooool!!

Best regards......

Thanh