Out Of Nowhere - A Good Thai Gay-themed Movie!

lothda

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dam_n it......

That's the SECOND time i missed them so closely! The first time i was in WTC watching THAT movie at the time when they had their concert in front of the same building.... and now again at Siam Center.... while i was in Mahboonkrong at the same time!!

So close and not knowing about the event............

Does anyone know where they will be NEXT weekend? Free or not i don't care as long as i get to see Mew :o

Best regards.....

Thanh

I will ask the bf. He seems to be in the know about this stuff...though as you said both times I found out last minute and was lucky to be able to get to Siam quickly. Mew is a doll!

This "missing the live performances" bit HAS to be the most frustrating feeling!!!!

I've got a feeling that if we could read Thai, we could see advance notices on the official www dot the love of Siam dot com web site.

We need to develop SOME sort of SMS notification system... to alert us farangs as to the next (if there IS one) live performance.

Considering the way this movie is fading from being shown at the Cinemas... I've got a sinking feeling this might be a short-lived phenomenon, and the movie MAY not be around for much longer.

Interesting to note that the "A-CUT" (first track) on the OST CD is currently number ONE on the Thai Airways, or so my adult English students tell me.

Interesting, too, how the official web site seems to COMPLETELY bypass the fact that this is a gay love story. It seems as though it would have been able to be marketed in a much higher profile, and been much more successful at the box office, if only for curiosity's sake...???

MUCH UNLIKE the promotion of "Bangkok Love Story" which... I'm sorry... I think SUCKED in so many ways, not the least of which was the insurance that ANYONE portrayed as GAY in the movie either was in the process of having or getting AIDS, being BLINDED, or being SHOT TO DEATH!!! NOT TO MENTION that the self-hatred, self-loathing of the gay characters, which seemed very much alive and present. Not even a distant contender for the spirit of Brokeback Mountain.

I told my boyfriend after the "Bangkok Love Story" movie... those guys had ONE GOOD DAY TOGETHER!!!! ONLY ONE DAY!!!

How messed up was that!?!?!?!

That was one of the beautiful things about Rak Hang Siam.... It steadfastly avoided ALL of the above stereotypical treatment of gay characters; what a joy to behold!

Incidently, the movie title translates directly to... Love AT Siam... and since the live performance at the end of the movie WAS at SIAM... kinda makes you wonder, eh?

Pawpcorn

Wonder why the Papa was portrayd as an alchoholic father killing himself with drink,ruining his liver. Strong anti drinking message?

This is one of the curious things to me too... I think the plot was that he took personal responsibility for granting the daughter permission to go on the (jungle[!]) hike... and therefore felt directly responsible for her death.

But in my humble opinion... This was way overdone, and, thinking about it, the obviously-suicidal drinking NEVER stopped, even when Papa thought he had his daughter back.

In some ways, I think the MANY scenes of his self-distruction (and, I'm sorry, the bloody toilet-seat scene :o was rather overdone to the point of being outwardly laughable, and yes... I heard laughter at this point) were the only downside of the movie, which many here have said is objectionably too long. I think it distracted from the focus of the movie. (IMHO)! :D

Pawpcorn :D

Welllll..... occasionally teaching English in Thailand has its perks... and this is one of those times....

One of my students (a university student) happens to have personal friendship with Mario, the actor who plays "Tong" in the movie. They're both University students in the same university. AND she knows the actor who played "Mew". We've scheduled to arrive early, before class this coming saturday, and she's going to give me some pictures she's taken with her friends.

She's ALSO promised to alert me, by cell phone, of any future AUGUST BAND live performances... BEFORE the performance, of course... and maybe I can pass the alert on to you fellow Love At Siam (direct translation of Rak Hang Siam) fans...

Mario, by the way, is 1/2 German, and 1/2 Chinese.

In the meantime, ANOTHER student of mine gave me these pictures (that are attached to this message) TONIGHT of Mario that she downloaded off the internet.

I'm sure there are NO copyright issues, since they were available to anyone who could (1) read, speak and type Thai (which leaves ME out!) and (2) access the internet.

I found them stunning :o ; I hope you enjoy them also!

Pawpcorn

post-41497-1197903297_thumb.jpg

post-41497-1197903327_thumb.jpg

post-41497-1197903360_thumb.jpg

post-41497-1197903407_thumb.jpg

post-41497-1197903443_thumb.jpg

post-41497-1197903473_thumb.jpg

post-41497-1197903553_thumb.jpg

post-41497-1197903568_thumb.jpg

post-41497-1197903613_thumb.jpg

post-41497-1197903649_thumb.jpg

And here's his website: www.oohmario.com (currently down tough, "bandwidth exceeded").

All this talk about Mario..... how about MEW, the REALLY cute one?? Anyone got some nice photos of him? Everyone is all about Mario, Mario, Mario on the net..... yeah, he's a Chinese-German who's grown up in Thailand and can't speak either Chinese or German, but Thai only.... and my boyfriend is crazy for him too, hence i'm crazy for Mew - about whom nobody wants to talk.... *cry*

It's just like in the movie "Alexander" where everything focussed on the love story between Alexander and Hephaistion, yet the IMPORTANT love story was almost left out - the one between Alexander and Bagoas, the beautiful eunuch (played by Francisco Bosch, by far the best looking Actor in that movie).

I hope to find some more info on Mew......

Thanh

And here's his website: www.oohmario.com (currently down tough, "bandwidth exceeded").

All this talk about Mario..... how about MEW, the REALLY cute one?? Anyone got some nice photos of him? Everyone is all about Mario, Mario, Mario on the net..... yeah, he's a Chinese-German who's grown up in Thailand and can't speak either Chinese or German, but Thai only.... and my boyfriend is crazy for him too, hence i'm crazy for Mew - about whom nobody wants to talk.... *cry*

It's just like in the movie "Alexander" where everything focussed on the love story between Alexander and Hephaistion, yet the IMPORTANT love story was almost left out - the one between Alexander and Bagoas, the beautiful eunuch (played by Francisco Bosch, by far the best looking Actor in that movie).

I hope to find some more info on Mew......

Thanh

Well, Thanh, truth is... I'm right there with you on this one... "Mew" is definately the heart-stopper... Mario is just proving to be better publicized; I'm guessing he was already modeling, etc. with "representation" long before the movie was made...

I guess oohmario.com must be a fan-based website, since it is still "down"...

I'll be meeting with the student who goes to the same university as Mario and "Mew" on Saturday morning, and maybe I'll be able to get some more information, and, with any luck, some cute pictures... He's adorable IMHO.

Here's the only pictures I have of him so far...

Regards,

Pawpcorn

post-41497-1198043807_thumb.jpg

post-41497-1198043834_thumb.jpg

post-41497-1198043847_thumb.jpg

The band "August" has performed several times now for free...

The webboard for the movie states that August will do two mini-concerts on December 25! 18:00 at Central Chidlom and 19:00 at Siam Centre. Central Chidlom seems unlikely - it may be Central World. Here's the message in Thai:

เรื่องรัก : เตรียมพบกับ mini concert วงออกัส ต้อนรับคริสมาสนี้ 25 ธ.ค. นี้ ประกาศ

สำหรับแฟนคลับวงอกัส และน้องพิช

วงออกัสจะไปเล่นคอนเสิร์ตในวันคริสมาสนี้ 25 ธ.ค. ต้อนรับลมหนาว (ไม่เห็นจะหนาวเลย)

18.00 ที่เซ็นทรัลชิดลม

19.00 ที่สยามเซ็นเตอร์

ยังไงก็อย่าลืมไปเชียร์ ไปให้กำลังใจพวกเขาได้นะคะ

See you there!

post-44127-1198409766_thumb.jpg

Edited by lothda

What's the going price for a nonprivated DVD, then?

It's a bit too new to be available on DVD. I'll be watching for a release date and will post it. The DVD and VCD cover designs are attached.

Meanwhile why doesn't everybody take a look at the Internet Movie Database. I have entered the movie - you can find it under the title "Rak haeng Siam". The IMDB gives you the opportunity to evaluate and discuss the movie in a large community of movie fans. At this time "Rak haeng Siam" has 9.2 out of 10 stars with 51 votes cast. Enjoy.

post-44127-1198547714_thumb.jpg

Edited by lothda

• 2 weeks later...
When will it be available on DVD? Have looked locally and thought by now it would be pirated.

Still no definite release date for the DVD, but some news. There will be 2 versions: a Special Edition of the regular theatrical release and a Limited Edition of the 4 hour director's cut which will include a replica of the wooden toy that features prominently in the story. The company that will release the DVD is DoDisc ('Bangkok Love Story'). It seems they aim to finish everything for a Valentine's Day release (how romantic).

Edited by lothda

They don't pirate *Thai* movies in Thailand....

pirated copies of many Thai movies are readily available in Silom, Chinatown and elsewhere, usually copies of the version packaged for overseas distribution with English subtitles

bkkguy

Really? I'm always looking at the movies on Silom and never see pirated Thai movies nor have I seen them in Chinatown or the Klongtom night market, but see lots of western and other asian titles. I'll keep looking though.

Always I will be curious if the release of the dvd special box set or otherwise will have English subtitles. Many times I've tried to buy Thai movies to find that even though it played in the theatre with English subtitles they don't release the dvd with subtitles. Go figure. I would love to get the special box (if it has English subtitles) set as I actually went looking for that wooden toy!!

Hi :o

I DEFINITELY want that too! With subtitles, that is - with or without that toy. And of course the full version which, as i have read somewhere, does contain "quite a bit more gay stuff" (that was mentioned on some kind of forum, but i forgot where).

But if it's only available without the subtitles i'll get it anyway... wouldn't be the first Thai movie i bought even tough there's no subtitles (or Hebrew subtitles, as happened with one DVD i got).

And btw i, too, NEVER saw ANY Thai movie in a pirated version for sale anywhere - with or without subtitles. I actually even asked for some and got the exact answer "sorry, Thai movie no copy".

Best regards....

Thanh

In the past 12 months at various stalls in Silom or at MBK I have seen pirates of Silom Soi 2, Bangkok Love Story, Satree Lek, Me..Myself, Last Life in the Universe, Fah Talai Johne and numerous others - as I said before these are usually the internationally released versions

bkkguy

Hi :o

Don't be surprised - those may have been the originals :D I have bought both the Satree Leks DVD's (WITH english subtitles!) for 129 Baht each - in the grabble box at Mang Pong, perfectly legit and genuine, with box and cover :D Another Thai gay movie ("Down The River") i bought as a genuine original VCD (hardcoded english subs too) when it was brand new released for 149 Baht. Yet another Khatoey-comedy ("I'm Lady") i got, again as genuine original VCD, for 99 Baht at Mang Pong after it was a few months old. No subs on that one tough.

You see, locally-made movies are cheap from the start (i mean that you have to pay little money to get the genuine product) so it is not profitable for pirates to pirate them - when the original costs 149, who would buy the copy for the same price? And after a few months you find them at much reduced prices at legal outlets while the pirated ones always cost their 100 Baht for the VCD or 150 for the DVD, no matter how old the movie. And genuine CHEAPER than pirated?

THAT's why they don't pirate Thai movies :D Nothing to do with ethics - it's all $$ only.

I have ANOTHER question regarding this subject and "ethics" - if i own the legit product (bought DVD) without subtitles already, and the subtitled version is NOT available here - i can download via torrent a version with subtitles without having to feel bad, yes? Because i already bought it before...... With most Thai movies (gay ones anyway) i actually have seen them in the cinema AND bought whatever disc was made available in Thailand before finding a subtitled version on some torrent site. (A bit like you buy a genuine Picasso, put it in the safe and hang a copy on your living room wall, nothing wrong with that too).

Best regards....

Thanh

Don't be surprised - those may have been the originals

Silom Soi 2 was at three different stalls in Silom last night, it was 100 baht and on the same copy disks in the same plastic bags with the same cheap quality inserts as all the other pirate movies on the stall, trust me - these were not originals!

bkkguy

Some news, just in:

House (RCA), a "Boutique Cinema" known for showing non-mainstream movies, specially gay themed ones (!!), will start showing the DIRECTOR'S CUT version of "Rak Haeng Siam" tomorrow, January 17th.

Details on their website, www.houserama.com (website is Thai only!)

Their showing this movie means the DVD can't be that far away - House uses DVD projections.

Sadly i can't get my BF to go with me and watch it as we have already seen the "regular" version. The "director's cut" runs over four hours!

Please, if anyone goes to watch it, let others here know (particularly ME) how is it.... i am dying to find out even tough i have the fixed plan to get the DVD anyway, with or without subtitles, as soon as available :o

Best regards....

Thanh