Good Moo Kata Places In Chiang Mai

ollylama

Where are the best moo kata places in town?

For those who don't know what I'm talking about I mean the places where you sit at a table with other people and put meats and seafoods on a big inverted metal grilling bowl with a rim around it that's filled with broth. most of them are really huge and crowded, but are there any that stand out as being especially delicious or atmospheric?

Does anyone have any favorites? I'm especially interested in places in town, not too far out.

Has anyone tried the big new place just outside the northeastern corner of the moat?

Where are the best moo kata places in town?

For those who don't know what I'm talking about I mean the places where you sit at a table with other people and put meats and seafoods on a big inverted metal grilling bowl with a rim around it that's filled with broth. most of them are really huge and crowded, but are there any that stand out as being especially delicious or atmospheric?

Does anyone have any favorites? I'm especially interested in places in town, not too far out.

Has anyone tried the big new place just outside the northeastern corner of the moat?

No, but we usually enjoy the Nua Kata at the south east corner of the moat (but they do have moo as well as nua and lots of squid). On just one visit the nua was virtually too tough to eat, even when very well done, but that was an exception. Cheap and cheerful.

The only other we've tried is on the big waste lot just to the moat side of Hillside 4, off Hua Kaew Rd. Enormous place, very good deal and live music. When we've been there not too late (say 8.00pm) they've had an exceptionally good Thai guitarist/vocalist and not too loud.

The family and i use the one behind Hillside four. By the way, you refered to it as "Thai fondue" , id always thought it was a Korean thing.I might be wrong, usually am :o We once went to one on Nimmanhamin that was very good. They have the really big prawns there and good value for money but, sorry, cant remember the name

The family and i use the one behind Hillside four. By the way, you refered to it as "Thai fondue" , id always thought it was a Korean thing.I might be wrong, usually am :o We once went to one on Nimmanhamin that was very good. They have the really big prawns there and good value for money but, sorry, cant remember the name

can you remember approximately where on nimmanhaemin? i live off nimman now and i've not noticed any moo kata around. is it on a soi?

can you remember approximately where on nimmanhaemin? i live off nimman now and i've not noticed any moo kata around. is it on a soi?

The wife thinks its called Soom Sabai

The wife thinks its called Soom Sabai

I live off of Nimmanhaemin and have been to several mookatas but never noticed one right on Nimmanhaemin. My favorite is also the one behind Hillside 4. The meats are indistinguishable from any of the others but they serve a wide variety of pre-cooked dishes too. (I do enough cooking at home and don't need to go out to cook my own dinner.). This year they have always had grilled prawns and grill-your-own prawns. The pre-prepared food is always hot if you get there between 6:00 and 7:00pm. They also have the best selection of fish of any of the moo katas I've been to, not to mention pretty good Thai desserts -- this week they had sticky rice with durian (yum!)

I've also been to the mookata on the NE corner of the moat. They have a much bigger selection of shellfish, but a much, much smaller selection of everything else and very little pre-prepared food.

There's a two-story mookata on Sirimankalajarn at the corner of Nimmanhaemin Soi 15 (maybe 13 or 17) but I found it to disgustingly filthy.

There's one on the Superhighway in between Khuang Singh intersection and Jed Yod intersection on the left hand side when coming from Khuang Singh. They have a stage with music, dancing and the tacky cabaret/joker shows.. You have to see that at least once. :o This is a good season for it, as the temperatures are reasonable.