Anywhere Worth Living In Thailand Besides Bkk?

wasabi

I'm planning to move to Thailand next year to study Thai and work on some personal projects. Most likely for the first year I will stay in Bangkok, but I really don't like the pollution and would like to leave if I stay beyond that. However if I am going to try to find a job in Thailand, it seems the already low paying jobs will become even more low paying as I move outside of BKK. Is there any other cities in Thailand worth considering? I've heard in spite of the perception Chiang Mai is heavily polluted as well. I've found Pattaya not that bad pollution wise, but I don't like some of the people that town attracts. Nothing against the nightlife as I like it myself, but there seems to be too many drunks and mafia types both Thai and Russian for my comfort. Is Jomtien worth considering or is that basically no different than Pattaya?

I'd like to stay as close to BKK as possible while having as little pollution as possible.

Edited by wasabi

My guess is your required income will determine where you live;

ie.. I need X Bht per month to live.

Where can I find a job that I am qualified to do that pays X Baht?

Without know what your required income is and what job you hope to do inorder to earn that income, all other discussion is merely about where is nicer than BKK.

I think Hua Hin gets my vote and if you look around, good deals still exist on lodgings. My work is online so I can base myself anywhere but I've chosen tranquil suburban Pattaya. I have no complaints in my 4th year. PM me anyone wants peace & security in central Pattaya. It does exist.

Bkk is the hub to the rest of thailand. Weigh up your income options as you may be better off living in BKK and flying out to the sea every few weeks its really not that expensive and a thousnd Baht will get you to pattaya in a cab for some Rand R and R and then thankfully back to BKK . Tough call as you seem to want a BKK buy the sea

Edited by zorro1

For the first year I won't need any income, my main goal will be to be close to a Thai language school. I was going to go to Piammitr near Asoke. Are there any decent language schools near Pattaya? As I said there are aspects to Pattaya I don't like. Even though I'm fairly savvy to some of the pitfalls of Thailand and money extraction methods from some of its citizens I don't want to risk blowing money on foolish things which I could see Pattaya encouraging. But I'm not totally against living there, admittedly I haven't seen much of it besides the tourist areas.

I am currently a financial systems analyst. I don't think I'll find a similar job in Thailand. I could probably survive on 30k Baht a month but wouldn't mind finding a better paying job. I have a degree in English, 6+ years working with financial software. One obvious route would be to teach English but it's not my first choice another job in finance would be preferable. I also may simply go to Singapore though that too is not my first choice.

I have been to Hua Hin which I liked but it didn't strike me as having many employment options and maybe I should have been more clear, having a good Thai language school is a top concern.

Try Pro Language School on Pattaya Klang opposite Carrefour for good private. American University (AUA) at the Naklua circle aka Dolphin Roundabout for good groups.

For work, I went the self employment route with an online business that allows me an enjoyable hobby and a sustainable income. If I were you, I wouldn't look at anything having to do with Thais or working with Thais. The less dependent you are on Thais, the govt, or the their work style, I think the less Paracetamol you will require. This is only MY opinion....

I'm planning to move to Thailand next year to study Thai and work on some personal projects. Most likely for the first year I will stay in Bangkok, but I really don't like the pollution and would like to leave if I stay beyond that.

What pollution are you referring to?

Probably you'll work in a air condioned office which takes up 8 hrs a day. Another 6-8 hrs in a air condioned house and a couple of hrs in air condioned theater, gogo or whatever and most of your day is filled anyway.

If you like fresh air Lumpini Park is ok for jogging etc so I don't really get your pollution fobie.

If I were you, I wouldn't look at anything having to do with Thais or working with Thais. The less dependent you are on Thais, the govt, or the their work style, I think the less Paracetamol you will require. This is only MY opinion....

Jesus! Such a well thought out response !

So why are you IN Thailand?

Edited by Manchester

I still feel that Nakhon Sawan and similar places in the central region have a lot to offer.

People here and the BiB are still friendly. We have varied night life, shops a-plenty, beautiful women and hardly a BG in sight! LOL.

We have Bat Mountain, Monkeys, lakes, fishing and so much more to offer. We have rivers but no seaside. A beautiful park too.

Hotels 450 Baht a night. Teuk thai @ 4,000 Baht a month.

Language classes near BigC.

NS is also VERY big for Chinese and Thai New Year celebratrions.

It is a wonderful place IMHO.

NS tourism can pay me later! :o

If I were you, I wouldn't look at anything having to do with Thais or working with Thais. The less dependent you are on Thais, the govt, or the their work style, I think the less Paracetamol you will require. This is only MY opinion....

Jesus! Such a well thought out response !

So why are you IN Thailand?

I'm in Pattaya where I enjoy the great weather, low costs, and excellent cuisine. But #1 is the supply. It's all about the supply. Not the beaches or the lovely attitude of the locals here. You understand now?

My pollution aversion isn't a phobia or psychosomatic. I have a respiratory system that gets irritated if I stay in Bangkok too long, but like Pattaya I have only spent significant amounts of time near the Sukhumvit area which was just designated most polluted so perhaps this is why. Some people might be able to stay there their whole life and have no problem but for me I always get a sore throat and end up coughing. If I do move to BKK I was thinking of living near Mo Chit to live a little more cheaply but still be on the BTS line. Is this far away enough from lower Suk to avoid some of the pollution? Does it really vary that much from one district to the next?

I will also check out Nakhon Sawan. The comment about working with Thai people is understood. I'm sure it has it's frustrations but I have plenty of frustrations working with Americans too. I'd merely be trading one set of annoyances for another. Working independently would be ideal but I simply don't have any idea for such a business. To live in Thailand I think one has to be optimistic and have a sense being there is accomplishing the greater good. However these topics are well beyond the scope of this particular thread I already know I want to live in Thailand and am fairly sure I need to be in or near BKK. I just want to know where is best.