Female Japanese Tourist Robbed And Murdered In Sukhothai

sriracha john

Police seek Japanese man

Police are asking their Japanese counterparts to question a Japanese man who was seen in Sukhothai Historical Park at almost the same time as Tomoko Kawashita, 23, who was found murdered on Nov 25. Detectives want to reach Masao Ito as witnesses have said he entered Wat Saphan Hin temple in the park about five minutes after Tomoko arrived there on Nov 24. Both used rented bicycles. A taxi driver in Sukhothai province said that unlike other foreign visitors, Masao arrived at Sukhothai airport without any luggage when he returned to Bangkok on Nov 26. He spent a night at a hotel on Sathon road and left for Japan at

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/04Dec2007_news30.php

Thanks SJ; I just read your post and it's amazing NOBODY reacted to this news as this is really special but also odd news.

1. Tomoko Kawashita was murdered on -Sunday- Nov. 25 (she rented the bike on Sunday morning)

2. Masao Ito (the Japanese man the police is looking for) arrived 5 minutes later -after Tomoko- at Wat Saphan Hin (see all the photos in my earlier post) on Nov. 24 (this MUST be a mistake in the press article.)

3. Masao Ito leaves Sukhotai (airport) for BKK on -Monday- Nov. 26 and staid at a hotel on Sathon Road and left for Japan at.....(can't open the link of BKK Post anymore).

Anyway, there are still questions to be answered:

* she rented a bike on Sunday morning early (was it at 07.00AM ?); after a 'short' Saturday night, collecting her luggage at 02.00AM at the guesthouse and left. Where did she go ?

* she bikes to the very remote Wat Saphan Hin which is a few Kms outside of Sukhotai (and the Japanese man arrives 5 minutes later, also on a rented bike); strange that he arrived later...

* she was found Sunday afternoon; so there are quite some hours between arriving at Wat Saphan Hin and the moment she was found.

* she had a lot of alcohol in her blood after she was found;

this is odd because IF she would have been drinking (Saturday evening/night) in free will/spirit she would have been quite drunk for a girl who never drank alcohol (according to parents and friends) and in that case she would have slept much longer on that particular Sunday morning.

Something's missing and odd here...but if there is a certain 'Masao Ito' who arrived from BKK in Japan it must be peanuts for the Japanese to find this man.

A man without any luggage... :o

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3. Masao Ito leaves Sukhotai (airport) for BKK on Nov. 26 and staid at a hotel on Sathon Road and left for Japan at.....(can't open the link of BKK Post abymore).

He left for Japan next morning. There was a photo of him from Suvarnabhumi passport control in yesterday's Bangkok Post.

Something's missing and odd here...but if there is a certain 'Masao Ito' who arrived from BKK in Japan it must be peanuts for the Japanese to find this man. A man without any luggage... :o

Strange, there's no mention of him anywhere in Japanese media. But then there's hardly any update to this case in Japanese news site since couple of days after the murder. I'm sure Japanese police is on pursuit to locate him if so a formal request was made by Thai authority through diplomatic channel. But then if he was found suspect he probably won't stand trial in Thailand because Japan does not extradite its own citizens to a country that doesn't have extradition treaty with Japan. If his name is cleared then we probably won't see it reported.

Very interesting Gaz.

So, Shan simply means hills with many southwestern "Chinese" or "Tibetan-Chinese" dialects.

What did the Shan call themselves before?

What did "Thais" call themselves before?

People do have a habit to call their kind by a name.

If you solve this you're on a BIG breakthrough on many fields.

I have the answers to some of those questions in my files - I'll need to dig them out rather that give fuzzy memory answers. Did the research 5-6 years ago, but have been working on 19th-20thC topics the last couple of years, so have forgotten the fine detail after filling my lonely brain cell with the new stuff :o

There has been an ongoing case in the paper about a plastic surgeon who botches jobs, then has his patients bumped off when they try to seek redress. I haven't seen any mention of this situation in this forum (forgive me if I've missed it--if it's there, it's pretty buried). Could it be because the victims are Thai? I'm trying imagine the outrage and furor in this forum if a plastic surgeon started bumping off foreign tourists who complained about his work.

Pumpui - think you're missing the reality in that premise.

If a plastic surgeon botched jobs on farangs and tried to have them bumped off for complaining, he'd probably be getting bumped off himself first, as the most likely farangs to be getting face-jobs down your way are the ones who don't want to be recognised by their previous faces :D:D

More seriously, do long-haul tourists really plan plastic surgery as their reason for holidaying in far-flung places? I know there's a roaring "tourist" trade in the dental industry (due to pricing), maybe even in the boob-enhancement/reduction sector, but can't think of too many other plastic-jobs that qualify as a holiday activity.

Back on topic - the more I think about this case and the recent demands for additional security, the more it makes me wonder about locations in Chiangmai such as Wieng Kum Kam, Wieng Jet Rin, and other "remote" locations or tourist spots with secluded settings. (If you think WKK is too busy for this to happen, I can show you locations within 20 metres of main thoroughfares that are prime settings for it happening).

Should all historical parks be beefing up security and patrols?

Should all motor and pedal bike rental shops be issuing personal safety leaflets to tourists?

Should there be mandatory notices in all hotel and Guest House rooms reminding visitors about personal safety?

Sadly, the only Chiangmai magazine that used to regularly run articles on such topics during high season is no longer in publication, and the others don't like to print "negative" subjects.

Perhaps the guide book writers have a duty to be more reinforcing of the need for personal safety awareness?

Just musing

Gaz

Edited after spotting spelling mistake - probably spot more later :D

Edited by Gaz Chiangmai

There's no denying Thailand is a very violent place.

An eye opener for me was the last attempt of a forensics team trying to locate the remains of Somchai, the missing lawyer.

Remains were found indeed, but DNA test showed they came from nine different individuals. :o And that was in a relatively small area. Cadaver sniffing dogs could keep search teams busy around the clock for years.

Mmm, the boys in brown have previously been caught buying sperm samples to falsify evidence on other cases. Are they now making up fully grown human beings? :o

This would be unlikely.....The DNA...you see.....Why would you sell evidence that can link you conclusively to a crime you didnt commit...They buy your sperm...it frees the suspect of guilt but guess what ?? they have a ready made suspect....YOU !!

Most forensic DNA taken from a suspect is taken as a Buccal swab....from the inside of the mouth. If there is no suspect then it is taken from other sources that have been discovered.

Buying sperm could only be used to indicate that something sexual took place. To prove that charge the DNA would have to match the suspect and other other physical evidence would need to support it. The BIB aint that stupid.

But in this case there is no suggestion of sexual assault....the motive would appear to be robbery or made to look like robbery...To me it seems to be there is a possibility that it stems from a bad relationship or relationship breakdown. That would support her changing rooms, possibly seeking protection with others, Possibly distraught enough to have the few drinks that was not in her nature. Thinking possibly that in daylight she would be safe she set of on her own.

This would be unlikely.....The DNA...you see.....Why would you sell evidence that can link you conclusively to a crime you didnt commit...They buy your sperm...it frees the suspect of guilt but guess what ?? they have a ready made suspect....YOU !!

There is an extremely famous and as yet unresolved case that occurred in Chiangmai in year 2000

Kirsty .....

I hesitate to post the full name as I'd not want to drag her poor parents onto a thread about another unfortunate young woman, as I know they regularly google her name to see if anything new has come up.

However, just her first name is enough for you to search TV and get the details of the infamous purchased sperm

Gaz

I hesitate to post the full name as I'd not want to drag her poor parents onto a thread about another unfortunate young woman, as I know they regularly google her name to see if anything new has come up.

However, just her first name is enough for you to search TV and get the details of the infamous purchased sperm

Gaz

Her case was mentioned in a number of earlier posts in this thread.

how does one gurl get in so many dangerous situations? seems odd.

japanese gurl getting killed as tourist happens, not one in a million thing...... there4 after initial shock ..........nothing.

I assume you are referring to my reports of the many things that have happened to my girlfriend. I explained it already but maybe you missed those posts. She is small, she is cute, she is Japanese. That is all it takes to become a major target in Thailand. She also has to move around alot for work, unlike a Japanese house wife that might be alot safer because she stays home or in her safe community.

Damian

Gaz

Her case was mentioned in a number of earlier posts in this thread.

After doing the search I can say that her name has come up in a lot of threads.

From what I have read there are a lot of allegations being suggested and not much in the way of proof. I dont see the point of re-opening old wounds here...that is not fair on the girls parents. suffice to say that there was 2 DNA profiles found at the scene...either one could have been the killer or both of them.

I assume you are referring to my reports of the many things that have happened to my girlfriend. I explained it already but maybe you missed those posts. She is small, she is cute, she is Japanese. That is all it takes to become a major target in Thailand. She also has to move around alot for work, unlike a Japanese house wife that might be alot safer because she stays home or in her safe community.

True, there are many Thai men with wicked fascination for Japanese women.

Damian, doesn't your GF's employer provide her with a company car? She should ask for one even if it's not for her exclusive use if she has to go visit cusotmers or vendors out of town.

I am not Thai and I do as well...doesnt mean I am going to rape or kill them.

The presence and fast exit by the boyfriend suggest that this was not done by a Thai but rather the boyfriend.

We will all have to wait and see what this investigation turns up, in terms of local people or the missing guy from Japan. I have a couple of theories, but I don't want to speculate right now.

I hope they find the perpetrator and give him his due punishment, regardless of where he's from.

Police seek Japanese man

Police are asking their Japanese counterparts to question a Japanese man who was seen in Sukhothai Historical Park at almost the same time as Tomoko Kawashita, 23, who was found murdered on Nov 25. Detectives want to reach Masao Ito as witnesses have said he entered Wat Saphan Hin temple in the park about five minutes after Tomoko arrived there on Nov 24. Both used rented bicycles. A taxi driver in Sukhothai province said that unlike other foreign visitors, Masao arrived at Sukhothai airport without any luggage when he returned to Bangkok on Nov 26. He spent a night at a hotel on Sathon road and left for Japan at

Continued here:

Thanks SJ; I just read your post and it's amazing NOBODY reacted to this news as this is really special but also odd news.

LaoPo

That's because some of us already have reacted, quite a while back in the thread. However, I am refraining from speculation, because it is just that until more facts are in.

japanese gurl getting killed as tourist happens, not one in a million thing...... there4 after initial shock ..........nothing.

Damian

So it's a Thai thing?

I suggest that we stop the speculation until some news come out or the threat gets closed.

<br />Hello, In reading all this and other comments about local crime, I did some quick calculations with these results (using 2006 US crime stats). US Nationwide per 100K population; Murder=6, Forcible rape=31, Robberies=150 To raw/total numbers this would be about (for the year) in Thailand National; Murder=3690, Forcible rape=19K, Robberies=92K BKK; Murder=600, Forcible rape=3100, Robberies=15K So, how do these compare with the realities of crimes there? I likewise offer my prayers to the friends & family of this young lady and for those responsable. Comments were made about YaBa. Any excuse/rationalization may be given but to me it comes down to the point that if there is no real hope for the future (either now or in an afterlife) then human life has no value. With no value then who really cares? This encompasses the government concern regarding the embarassment over the action instead of the importance of the loss of a life. Comments are made (on many threads) about everything being about a culture of money. Think about it. What else do they have and therefor why shouldn't they act that way...... Ieyuhrah<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Once again, before it gets deleted again, the Thais and Japanese were friends in the war.

We will all have to wait and see what this investigation turns up, in terms of local people or the missing guy from Japan. I have a couple of theories, but I don't want to speculate right now.

I hope they find the perpetrator and give him his due punishment, regardless of where he's from.

Police seek Japanese man

Continued here:

LaoPo

That's because some of us already have reacted, quite a while back in the thread. However, I am refraining from speculation, because it is just that until more facts are in.

It's not what I meant Kat, since SJ's info (from BKK post) was from Dec 4th and on Dec 6th nobody answered yet to this NEW info about the Japanese guy. But, in fact we still don't know anything from Japan yet if they found this man...

LaoPo

Damian

So it's a Thai thing?

I suggest that we stop the speculation until some news come out or the threat gets closed.

I don't think Damian was speculating on this case any more so than anyone else on this thread. He was just discussing concrete examples in response to the discussion taking place at the moment of his comments.

Police seek Japanese man

Continued here:

LaoPo

It's not what I meant Kat, since SJ's info (from BKK post) was from Dec 4th and on Dec 6th nobody answered yet to this NEW info about the Japanese guy. But, in fact we still don't know anything from Japan yet if they found this man...

LaoPo

OK, but you stated NOBODy which means anyone, not members of the Japanese media. In regards to the Japanese media, there is most likely things going on behind the scenes that they can't publicly discuss yet. Give it some time.

I am not Thai and I do as well...doesnt mean I am going to rape or kill them.

The presence and fast exit by the boyfriend suggest that this was not done by a Thai but rather the boyfriend.

Her boyfriend has never been identified as having travelled to Thailand; only Mr. Ito, mentioned in the last article, who may or may not be the same unnamed Japanese person with her at Nong Khai immigration mentioned in earlier articles.

Damian

So it's a Thai thing?

I don't think Damian was speculating on this case any more so than anyone else on this thread. He was just discussing concrete examples in response to the discussion taking place at the moment of his comments.

Police seek Japanese man

Continued here:

LaoPo

LaoPo

OK, but you stated NOBODy which means anyone, not members of the Japanese media. In regards to the Japanese media, there is most likely things going on behind the scenes that they can't publicly discuss yet. Give it some time.

I meant TV members by 'nobody' but let's leave it; it's not important.

LaoPo

Firstly I would like to say what a very sad case this is, a totally innocent young person with all to live for having their life cut cruelly short. My sympathies to the family who have shown great dignity whilst in Thailand trying to cope with such a terrible loss

Having read this thread from the start there is one point I would like to pick up on regarding perceived safety when travelling/working in a foreign country.

Several contributors such as CanadianGirl and DamianMavis expressed their view from experience that Japan was a relatively safe country compared to others, with the latter stating " amazingly safer than countries such as the UK " using this as a reason why perhaps Japanese women aren't fully aware of the dangers in other countries when travelling.

The same I feel may be true of foreign women travelling to Japan. I draw your attention to the terrible murders in Tokyo in the recent past of both 21 year old Lucie Blackman and 22 year old Lindsay Hawker, 2 separate cases of British girls who were working to travel in Japan. I would hope these cases have made all female travellers to Japan more aware of the dangers of a perceived " safe country ", with Miss Hawker's sisters making a statement publicly at the time to this effect.

The moral of the story is to be vigilant wherever in the world you travel as you probably won't be fully aware of all the dangers in the country you are visiting.

Yes, that's true as well. Thanks Kinyara.

*On further follow up, these cases in Japan involved: 1. a stalker psycho, who followed Lindsay home and then probably lured her to his flat where he killed her, and 2. a bar hostess woman (Blackman) that was killed by one of her psycho customers.

This is very much in line with a lot of the sexual violence in Japan, in that it is usually against someone in a relationship, and/or a sexual psycho. That is different in nature than stranger murder/sexual violence on the street.

But, yes, your point is well taken. It is still violence, but of a different origin and nature, therefore, different.

**It is good not to be complacent anywhere, but the danger fault lines will be different, depending on the local culture. In Japan, it seems that relationships are the fault line more than street violence.

BBC Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6502549.stm

Edited by kat

Actually, I'm going to retract some of my statements. By all accounts, Japan's violence against women has been noted to concern relationships or weird sexual, fetish psychos, as I noted previously, but that could be quite different for FOREIGN women there (involving street incidents). It seems to be the inverse for Japanese women in Thailand. Japan produces a lot of porn that is distributed everywhere, including sick sadist porn that is a big hit there. So, safety really is relative.

*OFF TOPIC:

http://www.japanprobe.com/?p=1445 (This is a long blog of accounts of foreign women in Japan, and the discussion of one of the above murders).

Edited by kat

Rape does occur in Japan but is seriously underreported. It is a culture that tends to place the blame on the victim, even in the victims eyes, so many rape victims never even report it.

I really dislike it when people put words in my mouth based on their own misinterpretation of what I say. I most certainly did not equate the crimes but was merely trying to point out that she could hardly be so unaware of some kind of risk seeing as how rape does occur in Japan and sexual assault does occur.

No, I don't think she was misinformed, I think she was right. However, the nature of assaults vary everywhere.