Non-immigrant Visa "o" Application

Hello everyone my question is this,,, we are planning as retired people to go to live in Thailand. As i understand it from here we should apply first for a non-immigrant visa in both cases first but is it necessary to show a bank balance both in Thai accounts before we do??? everone i have spoken to so far seems so very hazy about this and i am fast getting put off the idea.

I really have no wish to have to abandon the idea but one of us has an account in Thailand and the other one doesnt or,,, does one have to only show at the time of renewal to a retirement visa in Thailand itsself???

Thanks in advance,,,,, David...

Hello everyone my question is this,,, we are planning as retired people to go to live in Thailand. As i understand it from here we should apply first for a non-immigrant visa in both cases first but is it necessary to show a bank balance both in Thai accounts before we do??? everone i have spoken to so far seems so very hazy about this and i am fast getting put off the idea.

i assume you are over 50

there are few ways of getting a one year of stay based on retirement. first get a non immigrant O visa and enter thailand, then in the third month go to thai immigration and apply for a one year extension of stay by showing 800k in a thai bank. another way would be to buy a condo, there are some requirements that you need to be aware of if using the condo and/or savings in the bank or pension.

the other method is getting a non immigrant OA which would require showing the funds to qualify when applying for the visa. this would give you a mulitiple entry one year stay automatically.

I really have no wish to have to abandon the idea but one of us has an account in Thailand and the other one doesnt

the account will need to be in the husband's name or a joint account to qualify.

i assume you are over 50

there are few ways of getting a one year of stay based on retirement. first get a non immigrant O visa and enter thailand, then in the third month go to thai immigration and apply for a one year extension of stay by showing 800k in a thai bank. another way would be to buy a condo, there are some requirements that you need to be aware of if using the condo and/or savings in the bank or pension.

the other method is getting a non immigrant OA which would require showing the funds to qualify when applying for the visa. this would give you a mulitiple entry one year stay automatically.

I really have no wish to have to abandon the idea but one of us has an account in Thailand and the other one doesnt
the account will need to be in the husband's name or a joint account to qualify.

Hi Huski

It really sounds like you know something about the system in LOS, my case is that I'm 66 years of age, married to a Thai for 12 years and owns a condo in Phuket in my name.

What do you think I should do to get a retirement visa, we can come up with the 800 K if required ?

i assume you are over 50

Hi Huski

It really sounds like you know something about the system in LOS, my case is that I'm 66 years of age, married to a Thai for 12 years and owns a condo in Phuket in my name.

What do you think I should do to get a retirement visa, we can come up with the 800 K if required ?

before you enter thailand, you can either go for the non immigrant OA and show funds <800k> or get a non immigrant O visa and then go to thai immigration and get a one year extension based on support of a thai <400k>

you would be able to apply for permanent residency after three consecutive one year extension of stays from thai immigration, something to consider.

Hi Huski

In your case you do not need a long stay (retirement) visa if half the required funds would be better. As you have a Thai wife you can obtain a normal non immigrant visa allowing 90 day entry and apply for extension of stay after 60 days at any immigration office by showing 400k in bank or 40k monthly pension. Only takes about an hour and you have to do once each year.

You can also do the long stay at 800k requirement but only advantage is that you do not have to keep good relations with wife or change in case of death/divorce. You can do this in your home country but it is easier to just do it here in Thailand after you arrive on a normal marriage type non immigrant O visa.

I really have no wish to have to abandon the idea but one of us has an account in Thailand and the other one doesnt or,,, does one have to only show at the time of renewal to a retirement visa in Thailand itsself???

Thanks in advance,,,,, David...

From your wording assume you are not the normal married couple so yes you would both have to qualify with 800k in account but if done overseas the money can be transferred later.

If you are a legal husband/wife only one would need the visa and the other would enter on that as dependent without bank requirement.