Thai Clubs, Societies Perth Australia

Does anyone know if there are any associations of Thai people in Perth?

My girlfriend is stuck in the apartment all day and needs to get to know some people here.

I had a look in the phone book and on the net but couldn't find anything.

My girlfriend is stuck in the apartment all day and needs to get to know some people here.

Not really....depends on what sort of Thai people you want her to meet....some are not so good.

The temple in Serpentine is one way for her to interact with Thais...there is a Thai video store in the William St Shopping centre in Northbridge...Luckys Asian food store in Brisbane st is a place where she can meet the odd Thai girl. The Thai Temple in Nollamarra is another place. The Buddhist Society of WA which is in the Temple in Nollamarra.

What area of Perth are you in...??

Edited by gburns57au

Not really....depends on what sort of Thai people you want her to meet....some are not so good.

The temple in Serpentine is one way for her to interact with Thais...there is a Thai video store in the William St Shopping centre in Northbridge...Luckys Asian food store in Brisbane st is a place where she can meet the odd Thai girl. The Thai Temple in Nollamarra is another place. The Buddhist Society of WA which is in the Temple in Nollamarra.

What area of Perth are you in...??

We are living in the Medina in Barrack St in the city.

We are only a few minutes walk to Northbridge.

I don't really have any friends much myself here as I am working on a contract for 7 months here and will then head off somewhere else.

We are living in the Medina in Barrack St in the city.

We are only a few minutes walk to Northbridge.

I don't really have any friends much myself here as I am working on a contract for 7 months here and will then head off somewhere else.

To be truthful and with due respect to Checker....the restaurant owners are mainly up themselves and consider themselves to be the Hi So of the Thai community here. There are some good ones but not many.

Try the video shop...on the left hand side of William St a bit further on from the Brass Monkey. It is in the far corner of the William St Shopping centre....there is also a small video shop in the side street opposite the centre. Kongs Shops are also good to meet Thai people. Northbridge is full of Asian shops...if she takes a toddle up William street she will eventually meet some Thai people.

Meeting them this way could take a while...the best way is through mutual friends. Here is a map for you.

post-169-1196338770_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

The WA Thai- Australia Assn is a good place to start. Yes some of the ladies do have a few airs and graces, but there are some good people there. Their events are attended by the Honorary Consulate staff and occasionally by some blow-in from the Embassy.

If you are in Fremantle there is a minimart run by a Thai in High St near the Victoria Theatre. There is a chinese minimart in Cantonment St that has Thai speaking staff along with a good range of products.

Another place to ask is the office of John Hyde, the state member for Perth. He has a personal attachment to Thailand.

Or you could PM a couple of us to meet for a coffee or a beer. :)

• 2 months later...

new website bilateral for aus and thai. Just google auswathai. Aus is Aussie WA is west aus and thai is thai

also search google WA thai. The website wat(dot)austhai(dot)biz has a section call yellow pages thai WA.

Cheers

How about the Thai Australia Association (TAA)?

Don't really know much about them except for the fact that their president, Dr. Nalinee Taveesin, has been sanctioned by the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control. OFAC has sanctioned Taveesin for facilitating a number of financial, real-estate, and gem-related transactions on behalf of Grace Mugabe, Gideon Gono, and a number of other Zimbabwean Specially Designated Nationals (SDNs).

Just the kind of person we want representing Australian interests in Thailand - NOT.

Up up until recently they (TAA) had their contact details as the Australian Embassy, Bangkok. Over several months I wrote several emails to the Australian Embassy drawing their attention to the fact that the TAA had the contact details as appearing to be that of the Australian Embassy in Bangkok. Not one reply, but the address has now dissappered from their website.

• 3 months later...

Just for general information.

Try thaiinperth(dot)com .

I go to this website everyday. It is a true local website for thai people here and it is well known by local Thai people in Perth. Have all Thai related activities and news. It's in Thai language. I looked at the another website as mention above but it looks so confusing and messy, and has many Thai girls photos. It looks to me like a dating website.

Also there are 3 Thai organisations in Perth (as fas as I know)

1. Thai Australian Association of WA website is www(dot)taawa(dot)org(dot)au

2. Thai Cultural Community of WA website is www(dot)tccwa(dot)com

3. Thai Radio Community of WA

Edited by ThaiGuyinPerth

My girlfriend's experience with Thai Association of WA was rather unimpressive. The old lady in the association just kept saying bad things about other Thais and in the beginning my girl believed this old lady (her name is something after colour, I can't remember) and later she caught this old lady also said bad things about my girl behind her back too. Thais just like their gossip don't they :) . Just go to the temple, hopefully your girl will find someone.