Buying A Ford Focus 5 Door 2ltr Sport

bangkokrick

Hi all,

I am in the throws of buying a Ford focus 5 door 2 Ltr sport. Does anyone have any experience with this car either in Thailand or abroad. The reviews on the internet sites have all been favourable.

post-35173-1196259215_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Rick

post-35173-1196258640_thumb.jpg

Edited by bangkokrick

I have a 2007 Focus Ghia. I wanted the 2.0 liter engine but it was only available in the five door. I liked the Ghia's looks better. The only thing I'm disappointed with is the fuel economy. My other vehicle is a diesel pickup and it does better than the car. The car corners like it is on rails and the ride is too firm to suit me but you sacrifice a soft ride for the handling. After a year I like it better than I did when it was new. I have had no problems at all with it.

I have a 2007 Focus Ghia. I wanted the 2.0 liter engine but it was only available in the five door. I liked the Ghia's looks better. The only thing I'm disappointed with is the fuel economy. My other vehicle is a diesel pickup and it does better than the car. The car corners like it is on rails and the ride is too firm to suit me but you sacrifice a soft ride for the handling. After a year I like it better than I did when it was new. I have had no problems at all with it.

Thanks for the info Gary. The road test reports say the same thing about the firm ride and the handling, but it sound like a fair trade off to me. I am not too concerned about the fuel economy because the fuel is much cheaper in Thailand than the UK. I am glad that your happy with your Ghia.

Cheers, Rick

You might want to also consider the Mazda 3 equivalent model - same car in most respects and built on same production line but the biggest difference would be when you come to sell it - the Mazda will be worth heaps more than the Ford, simply because its considered 'Japanese' and also because the Thai market prefers the looks of the Mazda 3 to how Ford have done the Focus.

I have driven the 1.8 Ford Focus in Thailand a couple of times as a friend has one and it indeed is very nice car and seems to do everything well. He has also had no issues in the 2 years he has had it.

You might want to also consider the Mazda 3 equivalent model - same car in most respects and built on same production line but the biggest difference would be when you come to sell it - the Mazda will be worth heaps more than the Ford, simply because its considered 'Japanese' and also because the Thai market prefers the looks of the Mazda 3 to how Ford have done the Focus.

I have driven the 1.8 Ford Focus in Thailand a couple of times as a friend has one and it indeed is very nice car and seems to do everything well. He has also had no issues in the 2 years he has had it.

Thanks for the reply Digger. I will have a look at the Mazda as you suggest and i take your point about the resale value. I am wondering about the cost of the Mazda as they have been very expensive in the past.

Cheers, Rick

you did right when choose the 2L engine.

I havd the focus 1.6L and the only disadvantage was the engine..its such a lazy engine I always needed to "kick-down" for normal acceleration.

I tried my friend's focus 2L and it was a BIG CHANGE FOR GOOD !

Good car,comftable,sharp,reliable.

better then mazda 3.

Good luck.

unfortunatly I can't buy a sedan car as I live in isaan..pick up.. :o

you did right when choose the 2L engine.

I havd the focus 1.6L and the only disadvantage was the engine..its such a lazy engine I always needed to "kick-down" for normal acceleration.

I tried my friend's focus 2L and it was a BIG CHANGE FOR GOOD !

Good car,comftable,sharp,reliable.

better then mazda 3.

Good luck.

unfortunatly I can't buy a sedan car as I live in isaan..pick up.. :o

Cheers katom i am glad that the 2 ltr fits the bill regarding the extra power. I am going for a test drive at the weekend so i will post my opinion on the forum.

There are many good looking pick up vehicles, but i feel not the right vehicle for around Bangkok. good luck in isaan!

Cheers, rick

I just bought a new Camry, wifes wishes, but have a Ranger pickup kicking around too.

Now, if i can plan a test drive of that focus, i might be able to get rid of the pickup and bring one of those home. She probably wouldnt notice for a few months anyway. :o

Seriously, im going to see if i can book a test drive.. I usually use Ford at Sukhumvit Soi 62 Bangkok. Where are you looking at rick? Are they offering zero % on that model too?

I just bought a new Camry, wifes wishes, but have a Ranger pickup kicking around too.

Now, if i can plan a test drive of that focus, i might be able to get rid of the pickup and bring one of those home. She probably wouldnt notice for a few months anyway. :o

Seriously, im going to see if i can book a test drive.. I usually use Ford at Sukhumvit Soi 62 Bangkok. Where are you looking at rick? Are they offering zero % on that model too?

Hi Moonfruit i am also looking at Ford at Sukhumvit Soi 62 Bangkok. They offered a 5% discount on the book price so the price is 936000 baht which i think is quite reasonable for this car compared with others in its class. I will let you know how it drives following my test drive at the weekend.

I am trying to get finance and they are working on it so i dont have the final details yet.

Cheers, Rick

Hi Rick

That looks a mighty fine car. Jeremy Clarkson test drive the Focus ST 2 litre, a while back and christened it the Ford ASBO, cos it performed/handled so well and will help you notch up penalty points so so quickly :o Thats coming from a man who doesnt like Fords. Like a previous poster, I too live in Issan and have a 4x4 on order but after seeing this, I may well order my 17th Ford (if my memory serves me well)

Keep us posted and good luck

Dave :D

Hi Rick

That looks a mighty fine car. Jeremy Clarkson test drive the Focus ST 2 litre, a while back and christened it the Ford ASBO, cos it performed/handled so well and will help you notch up penalty points so so quickly :o Thats coming from a man who doesnt like Fords. Like a previous poster, I too live in Issan and have a 4x4 on order but after seeing this, I may well order my 17th Ford (if my memory serves me well)

Hi Dave,

I can't believe that Clarkson actually said something good about a ford, so that really tells me something! I think that if your next car is your 17th Ford you must be really sold on them. I had a Ford XR3i in the UK and this was probably the best car that i have ever driven. The handling and the performance was great, so i am hoping for similar from the Focus.

I will let you know about the test drive.

Cheers, Rick

Thanks for the reply Digger. I will have a look at the Mazda as you suggest and i take your point about the resale value. I am wondering about the cost of the Mazda as they have been very expensive in the past.

Cheers, Rick

Rick,

What a smart looking car indeed.

Having had a Mazda 3 sport amongst many other cars( 13 in 10 years). The Mazda 3 depreciates badly as well. Depends on how long you intend to have the car.

Think you should have a look at the Honda Civic 2.0L. The car is so much more responsive than the Mazda's. A completely different world.

Hi Rick

Hi Dave,

I can't believe that Clarkson actually said something good about a ford, so that really tells me something! I think that if your next car is your 17th Ford you must be really sold on them. I had a Ford XR3i in the UK and this was probably the best car that i have ever driven. The handling and the performance was great, so i am hoping for similar from the Focus.

Cheers, Rick

Hi again

just a small point. Having checked both Ford and Mazda, Thailand websites, the focus colours do not include an Orange like in your picture (although I'v seen many in the Uk). Both models 2 litre models seem to do the same shade of Metallic Red that looks good

Cheers

Dave (on me way to both showrooms)

p.s. Useless fact number 2. Did you know that the numberplates shown in most bruchures are numbers/letters combinations that are easily identify-able when shown in a mirror image eg ATA 010 or 010 ATA. Must go and have a laydown now, I am think too much !! :D:D

Edited by Dave the Dude

Hi Rick

Hi Dave,

Cheers, Rick

Hi again

just a small point. Having checked both Ford and Mazda, Thailand websites, the focus colours do not include an Orange like in your picture (although I'v seen many in the Uk). Both models 2 litre models seem to do the same shade of Metallic Red that looks good

Cheers

Dave (on me way to both showrooms)

p.s. Useless fact number 2. Did you know that the numberplates shown in most bruchures are numbers/letters combinations that are easily identify-able when shown in a mirror image eg ATA 010 or 010 ATA. Must go and have a laydown now, I am think too much !! :D:D

Hi Dave,

I am going for the silver/grey Focus as it looks stunning in the showroom. I don't think that they have the red option at Ford Suk 62.

Never noticed the number plate thing, maybe i should have a lie down.

Cheers, rick

Cheers, Rick

Rick,

What a smart looking car indeed.

Having had a Mazda 3 sport amongst many other cars( 13 in 10 years). The Mazda 3 depreciates badly as well. Depends on how long you intend to have the car.

Think you should have a look at the Honda Civic 2.0L. The car is so much more responsive than the Mazda's. A completely different world.

Hi Thai,

I checked out both the civic and the mazda3, great looking cars, but i just can't take my mind off the focus.

Cheers, Rick

Hi Rick, just wondered if you asked Ford if it was an option for them to import a Focus ST? Can it be brought from them as a special order? Any chance you could ask them for me when you test drive at the weekend, thanks.

Hi Solen,

No problem mate i will ask about the Focus ST and post here.

Cheers, Rick

Hi all,

Great drive and i think that i will certainly get a few more points on my license. I asked about the import of the ST but they did not have any info on this, so sorry for that.

Anyway i ordered the focus and i will let you know how things progress.

Cheers, Rick

Last year after I had the Focus home I was looking it over closely and discovered the the back seats can fold forward. I can put a step ladder back there. I sometimes take the car when I go fishing because my fishing poles will fit in with the rear seats folded forward.

Hi Rick, just wondered if you asked Ford if it was an option for them to import a Focus ST? Can it be brought from them as a special order? Any chance you could ask them for me when you test drive at the weekend, thanks.

Hi Solvent01

I think if you check any past posts on the subject of Importing Cars into LOS, they will all say the same thing. DONT bother trying, cos the currupt customs officials (& tax) will stitch you up big time. Many have quoted paying 200 to 250% of the cars real worth plus its also 'horses for courses'. Id love a nice mean low Ferrari but not on these roads/potholes.

regards

Dave :o

Hi Dave, if the dealer is importing a special for you then the import tax should be the same % as all the other models on offer. I don't intend importing privately, only through a main dealer, BMW are good to deal with, any model can be imported as a special.

Hi Rick

Hi Dave,

Cheers, Rick

It was voted as car of the year in it,s class on Top Gear and in a national poll also by the way.

Go for it and good luck with the various offers.

Let us know how much it costs and the nick nacks you managed to get from them.

marshbags

I have a ford focus in The Usa I am very happy with 2007 2 door hatchback S 5 speed 2.0 I do not know if they are the same here lots of pep I get about 37 mpg averege.

The price in the USA no Airconditioning 318,250 converted $ 9500.00 usd x 33.5 = 318,250 Baht it is hard to see prices of vehicles in thailand but oh well. Air was an additional 80,000 baht I live in a cold area where air is only needed about 20 days a year Just some info :o

Hi Rick

Hi Dave,

Cheers, Rick

It was voted as car of the year in it,s class on Top Gear and in a national poll also by the way.

Go for it and good luck with the various offers.

Let us know how much it costs and the nick nacks you managed to get from them.

marshbags

Hi Marshbags,

Thanks for the info and i will keep you posted pricewise and goodies when i collect the car on the 18th Dec. The current price is 936000 Baht this includes 5% discount.

Cheers, Rick

Cheers Rick

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the late reply but i have been busy as hel_l.

I picked up the Ford focus on the 18th as planned and am very pleased with the car. I paid 936000 baht which included 3 years warranty, 1year servicing and free insurance.

The performance and handling of the car is fantastic and i agree with Jeremy Clarkson in his description ASBO. I am sure that i will get points on my license but i will enjoy every minute of it!

Cheers Rick