Christmas Dinner In Chiangmai

LP-BKK

My favorites

The Holiday Inn has been through a lot of name changes, but has always had Chiang Mai's best buffets since they opened as the Westin Hotel many moons ago. For years, it was THE PLACE to be on holidays, and - other than The Duke's - it probably still is.

The Duke's has only been open for a few years, but it has taken Chiang Mai by storm. It is the most successful foreign restaurant by far, and they recently opened a second branch in the Night Bazaar. The owner loves kids - he has a bunch of his own - and he loves holidays and he really knows what he is doing in the kitchen. This is a great combination for us, and he has promised to outdo himself this year!

053 249 231 Ask for David

Bake and Bite (main branch on Chang Klan road, near Night Bazaar) is another Chiang Mai favorite known for good food and reasonable prices.

They serve a few basic, but delicious, holiday dinners for much cheaper prices than the big boys, but I swear that their Turkey is the best in town. In fact, no matter which place I choose, I ALWAYS get a turkey dinner from Bake and Bite delivered to my bachelor pad as well. Just had Thanksgiving dinner a few days ago and it was as good as ever.

Bake and Bite also delivers whole cooked Turkeys and any and all the trimmings to your house if you are planning a party.

053 820 761 Ask for Gai

Edited by Ulysses G.

Mad Dog always does a Christmas roast and because of the faithful expat crowd that frequents the place it has a good festive feel for both Christmas and New Year.

Bake & Bite's christmas roast is really very good but the restaurant lacks a lot in atmosphere for my taste - last year we had turkey and trimmings at home using a combination of Rimping and Bake & Bite menus.

Duke's has a great reputation as does the Westin/Sheraton/Holiday Inn buffet. Although I haven't tried it I have heard people talking favourably about the Chiang Mai Saloon as well.

JxP

Bake & Bite's christmas roast is really very good but the restaurant lacks a lot in atmosphere for my taste - last year we had turkey and trimmings at home using a combination of Rimping and Bake & Bite menus.

I agree on the Christmas atmosphere, but the food is GREAT and much cheaper than most other places. I paid 320 baht for tasty turkey and mashed potatoes, really nice mixed vegies and stuffing, hot parkerhouse rolls and a big piece of pumpkin cheesecake for Thanksgiving and was so stuffed I couldn't finish it at one sitting.

Can't beat that! :o

Mad Dog always does a Christmas roast and because of the faithful expat crowd that frequents the place it has a good festive feel for both Christmas and New Year.

Duke's has a great reputation as does the Westin/Sheraton/Holiday Inn buffet. Although I haven't tried it I have heard people talking favourably about the Chiang Mai Saloon as well.

JxP

Did the Saloon couple years ago, JxP, and thought it was excellent value for 350-baht. Massive wedge of Turkey and ham on there :o Not much of the festive atmosphere, though.

this is off topic but really wish I could find out if it is safe up in CM these days. I am older and my wife and I want to settle down. Been married thai for 35 years do not fool around stuff. Want a safe place to live with decent friends etc. can you help with discussion please. I am American if that matters. Retired USAF.

thanks

I agree on the Christmas atmosphere, but the food is GREAT and much cheaper than most other places. I paid 320 baht for tasty turkey and mashed potatoes, really nice mixed vegies and stuffing, hot parkerhouse rolls and a big piece of pumpkin cheesecake for Thanksgiving and was so stuffed I couldn't finish it at one sitting.

Can't beat that! :o

this is off topic but really wish I could find out if it is safe up in CM these days. I am older and my wife and I want to settle down. Been married thai for 35 years do not fool around stuff. Want a safe place to live with decent friends etc. can you help with discussion please. I am American if that matters. Retired USAF.

thanks

Safer than most large cities in Muang Thai I'd say and the climate is great. Get yourself in a nice moobaan out of town.

Oh, and the option to 'fool around' is there if need be :o

• 2 weeks later...
Would it be possible to have the restaurants putting on a traditional dinner to post their menus somewhere here? With prices? That would save a ton of legwork!

I am sure many people here would be very grateful if you arranged with the restaurants to do that.

Bake & Bite's christmas roast is really very good but the restaurant lacks a lot in atmosphere for my taste

I visited Bake and Bite - main branch - today for brunch and noticed that it is actually nicely decorated and has a pleasant atmosphere for families, certainly much more so than Mad Dog, although I have nothing against Mad Dog for alchoholic bachelors either.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Would it be possible to have the restaurants putting on a traditional dinner to post their menus somewhere here? With prices? That would save a ton of legwork!

The current issue of Compass Magazine has an article describing what 7 or 8 restaurants are offering for the holidays, including prices. If you read the ads, you'll figure out what a few more are doing. You'll have to do the rest of the work yourself, including getting your own copy of the magazine.

The current issue of Compass Magazine has an article describing what 7 or 8 restaurants are offering for the holidays, including prices. If you read the ads, you'll figure out what a few more are doing. You'll have to do the rest of the work yourself, including getting your own copy of the magazine.

Citylife magazine also has a comprehensive list of Christmas promotions in Chiang Mai

http://www.chiangmainews.com/ecmn/viewfa.php?id=2013

Citylife magazine also has a comprehensive list of Christmas promotions in Chiang Mai

http://www.chiangmainews.com/ecmn/viewfa.php?id=2013

Which one on the list from the link above would you recommend, Kevin? :o

i think i have narrowed my choice down to 2 or 3 places i might try.a nice atmosphereand a nice busy crowd would be nice.

tuskers or dukes i will plump for i think.ate at the red lion last year,pleasant enough,but lacking warmth and atmosphere.

is tuskers ticket only anyone(milton)?,as i dont arrive until december 22nd

Which one on the list from the link above would you recommend, Kevin? :o

I'd go with this from that list above:

Dharavhadi Medical Clinic - 053-894555

Celebrating Christmas and New Year, Dharavhadi has a “Buy one, get one free” special promotion.

i think i have narrowed my choice down to 2 or 3 places i might try.a nice atmosphereand a nice busy crowd would be nice.

tuskers or dukes i will plump for i think.ate at the red lion last year,pleasant enough,but lacking warmth and atmosphere.

is tuskers ticket only anyone(milton)?,as i dont arrive until december 22nd

Thanks Foxy I needed a kick up the backside to post what Tuskers is doing.

Rachele and I will be hosting a Christmas Day Feast & Party rather than a traditional sit down 3 course meal.

The food will include smoked salmon, prawns and two kinds of pate for starters. Turkey, ham, beef, tatties and veg for main course and a range of desserts. Plus salads, bread etc. If any veggies want to come we will happily discuss a range of food options for them. Its an eat as much as you want deal :D

We will be kicking off a 4pm with free Christmas punch on arrival which normally get things off to a flying start :o

We will also be doing an optional Secret Santa with a maximum present price of 200 baht so there will be some gift giving and a bit of a laugh. I have also made a Giant Jenga set, which is a great pub game guaranteed to get a party going.

Tickets are 500 baht but we will be spending it all on the party to give everyone a good time and hope that all who come will join in to make it a special Christmas Day. Children under 12 are free by arrangement.

Foxy, you and everyone else are very welcome and you can book by PMing me or using the Christmas form on the Tuskers website.

Merry Christmas Everyone

Rachele and I will be hosting a Christmas Day Feast & Party rather than a traditional sit down 3 course meal.

The food will include smoked salmon, prawns and two kinds of pate for starters. Turkey, ham, beef, tatties and veg for main course and a range of desserts. Plus salads, bread etc. If any veggies want to come we will happily discuss a range of food options for them. Its an eat as much as you want deal :D

We will be kicking off a 4pm with free Christmas punch on arrival which normally get things off to a flying start :o

We will also be doing an optional Secret Santa with a maximum present price of 200 baht so there will be some gift giving and a bit of a laugh. I have also made a Giant Jenga set, which is a great pub game guaranteed to get a party going.

Tickets are 500 baht but we will be spending it all on the party to give everyone a good time and hope that all who come will join in to make it a special Christmas Day. Children under 12 are free by arrangement.

Merry Christmas Everyone

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me, not expensive and very thoughtful of putting all proceeds into the party - well done.

Merry Christmas to you too. :D

The food will include tatties

Potatoes in Oz-speak? :o

Reminds me of a place I used to love in Cambridge - Tatties, a potato based restaurant/cafe(!) - choose your own filling mix: baked spud with cheddar cheese, garlic butter, baked beans and a pork sausage, my favourite concoction, mmm!

The etymology is Scottish I believe and please, for bandwidth's sake, do not start the debate on the best way to roast your potatoes - it could go on for some time!

JxP