Visa Rules In China ?

Hi, just thinking of relocated my self to Shanghai. .. So how is the visum story over in China ?. ., Iam 30yrs retaired EU citizen. . .. what is my options?

Manny thx......

I have a one year multi entry business visa. I think from the EU you might be able to get one for 2-3 years, US only allowed one year.

This visa allows me to come in on the first day of the visa, and remain for an entire year without leaving. Kind of strange, I would think that I would be limited to 30 days as it says on their website. I have checked both with the local Public Security Office and at immigration when coming into the country and they both say that I can come in on the first day, and as long as I leave by the end date that I am ok.

As for a retirement type of visa, I don't think they exist. You can get tourist visas, and if you have family living here, you could get a resident visa, but again you would need to qualify as having Chinese family.

The "F" (business) visas are quite easy to get. Some Embassies/Consulates may want to see a letter of invitation from a Chinese company or organization, but there are agents in Hong Kong who can easily get around this requirement. Tourist visas are probably not the way to go if you want to stay in the country for a while. You are normally given an initial stay of one month, which can be extended in country. In theory, the duration and number of extensions is at the discretion of the Public Security Bureau (some offices are more accommodating than others), however in practice you would probably not get much more than another month, unless you know someone who has "guanxi" (relationship) with the local PSB. There are visa agents in Shanghai who can arrange things for you, but the ones in Hong Kong are usually cheaper and more trustworthy, in my opinion.

Useful information about immigration regulations and living in Shanghai generally can be found here:

http://shanghai.asiaxpat.com/

Edited by Rumpole

"F" Visa is issued to an alien who is invited to China for a visit, an investigation, a lecture, to do business, scientific-technological and culture exchanges, short-term advanced studies or internship for a period of no more than six months.

Basic Requirements:

1.Your valid & actual passport which must have at least six (6) months of remaining validity with at least one blank visa page in it.

2.One completed Visa Application Form (Q1) with one passport photo (black & white or color is acceptable) glued or stapled on it.

3.An invitation letter from the host company or unit in China, or a letter from your company.

4.An applicant who was born in China is required to submit his/her Chinese passport or last foreign passport with a Chinese visa when he or she applies for a Chinese visa with a new foreign passport.

You may apply for a Single Entry (valid for 3-6 months) , Double Entry (valid for 6 months) , Multiple Entry (valid for 6 months or 12 months) "F" Visa as needed.

You may apply for a Multiple Entry "F" Visa valid for 24 months, if

(1) you submit documents which certify you have made an investment in China, or have established a collaboration with a Chinese company, e.g. business license, contracts, a letter of appointment, etc.; or

(2) you have visited China at least twice with the "F" visa within the past 12 months , or have been issued a multi-entry "F" visa, and shall submit a copy of the visa(s);