Singapore Visa Trip

Hello again everyone. I had planned to make my visa trip to Penang but I can get a very cheap ticket to Singapore and as I have never been there I am considering going there instead of Penang to apply for a 60 day tourist visa. I have some questions that I hope you all won't mind answering.

Is the embassy in Singapore as easy and quick to issue visas as Penang? Is there any documentation other than my passport and photos I will need to show? If anyone has done this trip before and can give advice on getting to the embassy and a nice clean cheap hotel I would love to hear about it.

Thanks in advance

Is the embassy in Singapore as easy and quick to issue visas as Penang?

What visa are you applying for? The Thai embassy in Singapore has a reputation for being difficult in regards issuing back-to-back tourist visas.

as papper work goes, its all the same in Penang or Singapore.

hotel are Not cheap, there are some but its gonna be in the Ghetto somwhere.

as for the embassy itself, i wouldn't want to be there, first experience is enought for me. goodluck.

The embassy is at the top end of Orchard Road,

a short walk from the Orchard Road MRT station

And very close to Orchard Towers where you will meet many Thai ladies if you venture there at night.

Otherwise I have not had a problem obtaining back to back tourist visas from the S'porean Thai Embassy. Others have from what I have read.

However it is not that cheap to visit S'pore.

Can you give us more info and perhaps we can give you more too!

You can fly to Singapore via Johur Baru in Malaysia using Air Asia (1800 Baht one way). They provide a free link bus from Senai Airport to Johur Baru (causeway to Singapore), although waiting in the queues to cross the causeway is tedious (up to that point the trip was pretty straight forward/enjoyable).

Hotels are expensive in Singapore. Singapore is an amazing place to visit, and the tourist board there could make it more tourist friendly (eg its difficult to work out what places to visit unless you buy the detailed bus map and spend time studying it).

Embassy on Orchard road. Nice to be inside air-conned comfort rather than stuck outside at the Penang Embassy. Cheap mid-range hotel is just off Bencoolen Street towards Bugis MRT station and located on a bit of land by itself. Haven't been to Singapore for two years, so maybe its been altered. Forget the name of it, The New Hotel I think, but affectionately known as the 'Leaning Tower of Singapore' due to the subsidence. Still has manually operated lifts. Rooms are about $50 and up, or you could opt for a cardboard box with paper-thin mattresses above a restaurant, for $20-$30.

It's easy to knock Singapore for its sterility etc, but it is what it is, and if you haven't been there before you should make the trip. Simlim Tower for electronics and Boat Quay for drinking.

Additionally, just heard that Air Asia are offering 500Baht flights from Bangkok (one way), plus 200 or so for admin' and other tax, and you'll have to pay the 500 for leaving Thailand as well. Much better than doing the train/bus or bus/bus thing.

Additionally, just heard that Air Asia are offering 500Baht flights from Bangkok (one way), plus 200 or so for admin' and other tax, and you'll have to pay the 500 for leaving Thailand as well. Much better than doing the train/bus or bus/bus thing.

unfortunately you heard wrong. i just punched in a number of sept and oct dates and got prices ranging from 1499-2100 baht plus plus plus. that is not a great fare for the formerly budget air asia. so all r/t fares inc fees were over 4k plus depart tax and all else. AA aint what it used to be

Hi rob1599,

I recommend the YMCA

- it is really an Hotel rather than a Hostel.

Spotlessly clean but not cheap YMCA Hostel rates.

Singapore is a Marvellous place for a 5 / 7 day stay.

Sentosa Resort Island - with its Cable Car connection to the mainland

can take up a day - it has a wonderful Musical Fountain

- with Laser shows.

The Bird Park

The Night Safari (New and very Interesting Night Zoo / Safari Park)

Better to go with your Partner ....

Roger

• 4 weeks later...

Just in Singapore now and applying for a Non B visa.

According to them I will only get 3 months visa as I'm a workpermit holder... What BS is that?

I have a 6 months multiple entry Non B issued in Kota Bahru before but the emabssy in Singapore now says new rules and I will only get a single entry 3 months Non B. I have all papers in order, workpermit and I'm the business owner... What is going on?

i went to singapore for my last visa run. it was a pleasurable experience. stayed in the mackenzie hostel in little india in a double room for $S40 a night. the enbassy was fine. all i gave them was a letter from my school and i got a 90 day single entry non-imm B. the letter was printed in black and white and was barely legible because the school said their printer was broken. i thought there would be a problem, but there wasn't. I also had copies of the schools documents, but I didn't need to show them, only the letter. so it was quite easy.

expensive though. but we had a great time in singapore for four days. could have probably stayed longer. originally, we had planned to only go for three days - arrive at the airport and go straight to the embassy, the schedule of air asia didn't let us do that though.

i went to singapore for my last visa run. it was a pleasurable experience. stayed in the mackenzie hostel in little india in a double room for $S40 a night. the enbassy was fine. all i gave them was a letter from my school and i got a 90 day single entry non-imm B. the letter was printed in black and white and was barely legible because the school said their printer was broken. i thought there would be a problem, but there wasn't. I also had copies of the schools documents, but I didn't need to show them, only the letter. so it was quite easy.

expensive though. but we had a great time in singapore for four days. could have probably stayed longer. originally, we had planned to only go for three days - arrive at the airport and go straight to the embassy, the schedule of air asia didn't let us do that though.

Hey there Darth, I'm heading to Singapore in Oct for 1 night. just curious about these hostels, do they have a foul odor in the room? Can you describe a hostel as I've never stayed in one. I must say that the prospect of staying in little india does not sound too appetizing. Is it possible to stay in a decent hotel for $100-$200 sing buckos? it's only one nite but i don't want it to be a nite mare. what about the airport? can someone stay in the secure section and not pass customs till the following day? I'm just cruising there for a border cross

Is it possible to stay in a decent hotel for $100-$200 sing buckos? it's only one nite but i don't want it to be a nite mare. what about the airport? can someone stay in the secure section and not pass customs till the following day? I'm just cruising there for a border cross

Sure can, for 100-200 Sings you are in the range of 4 Star-hotels.

No commercials, but try to search for Carlton, around 140 me thinks, walking distance to Raffles where you can spend easily another S$ 100 on drinks only. :o

Google for Allson or Park View. The latter is very small, got for the de-lux room which is a bit bigger and costs 108 all in.

You as well can stay at the airport, without going through immigration. Have hotles in both terminals. Click here: http://www.airport-hotel.com.sg/rates.htm

but careful, their rates are in 6-hour blocks. Never used them, except for their swimming pool area which as well is one of SIN-AP-smoking zone :D

But what for. Through immigration in SIN is a few minutes. Taxis and buses cvarry you in 20-40 minutes to the city.

I'm just cruising there for a border cross

if you dont want to spend on accomodation, why not going back the same night?

air asia is leaving bkk at 7.40 in the morning, theres a flight back the same day leaving at 23.10!

weekends/saturdays seem to be cheaper, too

We often stay at the Concorde. Stumbled on it via a blind net booking a few years back and I guess it stuck. It's a short walk from MRT and a decent price (depending on one's views) if booked ahead on the net. Food is so/so really but the rooms are fine for around 90-128 S$. (fluctuates/seasons/net booking sources)

What really hooked me is the first time we arrived, they put us in what looked at first like your avg entry. Then, after the 'bell hop' left, I was startled to find other doors...one leading to a separate 'living room'. Also, the bedroom was elevated and had a sitting area on a lower level in an alcove, an insuite sauna and really above my expectations at the price. Add 100% for rack rate walkin tho and better hunt n peck the various net offerings prior to- quite a bit of variance out there

We often stay at the Concorde. Stumbled on it via a blind net booking a few years back and I guess it stuck. It's a short walk from MRT and a decent price (depending on one's views) if booked ahead on the net. Food is so/so really but the rooms are fine for around 90-128 S$. (fluctuates/seasons/net booking sources)

What really hooked me is the first time we arrived, they put us in what looked at first like your avg entry. Then, after the 'bell hop' left, I was startled to find other doors...one leading to a separate 'living room'. Also, the bedroom was elevated and had a sitting area on a lower level in an alcove, an insuite sauna and really above my expectations at the price. Add 100% for rack rate walkin tho and better hunt n peck the various net offerings prior to- quite a bit of variance out there

I checked out the site. Sounds like the best and most convenient deal yet. I'm going with it. thanks, Bob

What's the embassy like?I want to try there instead of Penang to renew a one year multiple entry Non-immigrant O visa.Got one with no problems in Penang.Want to take wife and kids to Singapore for a holiday.

I've never used the embassy there and it has received mixed reviews here. We need and up to date Singapore thai embassy report

What's the embassy like?I want to try there instead of Penang to renew a one year multiple entry Non-immigrant O visa.Got one with no problems in Penang.Want to take wife and kids to Singapore for a holiday.

In Singapore at the moment and are just about to pick up my visa. Can only tell you for the Non-B visa.. They will only issue a 3 months single visa as they say they been told by Bangkok not issue any longer visas. Don't know about Non-O.