Visa Work Permit Help

I have been selected by a company in Bangkok to work as their Safety Officer. I am a retired marine 44 years old on a now Tourist Visa multiple entry 6 month.

What are my steps from here??? Do I go back to Penang and get a Non-Im B Visa and if so what do I need from the company according to this web site all I need is a letter from them...

Who applys for the work permit??? The company told me they would do that for me... I've been in Thailand but I've never worked here except as a Marine and Volunteering to assist the Royal Thai Marine Corps from time to time...

I need some answers quick!!! I really enjoy this forum even though some people seem to be a little uptight and instead of helping they try and scare others. Well I'm retired so it's hard for me to get scared from a email...

Anyway please help me with this matter...

KHUNDAN

06 138 2591 My cell if anyone wants to call and talk

Dear Khundan,

NO need to leave the country because your tourist visa can be changed into a non immigrant B here in Bangkok at Immigration Department on Soi Suan Plu.

To get the job accomplished mentioned by you you need the support by the company intending to employ you. In the first stage get a letter of intend from them that they plan to employ you. With this in hand go to Soi Suan Plu and see the department in charge for chaning visa. There will be a Khun Phallop. Show him that letter and he will give you a list of additional documents (in Thai language) he require to turn your tourist visa into a non immigrant B. Hand this list to the employing company.

The work permit application is a mutual effort by you and the employer. There is a form to be filled in by both of you. The first part by you the second part by the employer. In addition certain documents from you (about your education and professional career) and some by the employer (company registration, share holder list etc.) will be required.

Relax and keep cool. No need for any scare - just do not take up any working activity when you don't have a work permit in your hands yet and you will be absolutely safe. Take the time to get all the paperwork properly handled first

Good luck.

Richard

Hi Dan -

If you have a TOURIST Visa (as opposed to a 30 day entry on arrival) you can follow the route described by RH. Otherwise, you will need to make a run to Penang or similar.

You will most likely want to get both a work permit and an extended entry permit - otherwise, your work permit will only be valid for lesss than 90 days at a time.

Your employing company will most likely know what they are doing - let them guide you.

If you feel that they are not very up on the requirements, send me a conventional e-mail, and I will reply to you with a bilingual list of the documents needed to complete both processes.

Good luck!

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Indo-Siam Group

Bangkok

[email protected]

www.thaistartup.com

THANKS for both of you guys reply's this makes me feel alot better. :o I am new at all this and want to make sure I'm doing it right. As far as this comapny I will be the first Farang they have hired so I'm sure they are just as lost as I am.

Steve if you can tell me in laymans term what I need to tell the company I would greatly appreciate it.

Again thanks for your replys.

Hey if you stay in Bangkok and if you drink beer let me know and I owe you guys a night out once all this is said and done.

My email is [email protected] and Cell is 06 138 2591

KHUNDAN SENDS

good luck with the job

would i be right in saying that if you are not working in bangkok as a teacher then as an English or American person you have to earn at least a minium of 50000 baht.

am i correct or is it ok to earn less as long as you pay the amount of tax based on earning 50000 baht.

can anyone confirm this for me please

thanks

For purposes of work pemit only, you can obtain a work permit at a lower salary - they typically want foreigners to earn a salary that will pay at least 18,000 baht per year in personal incomes taxes. The exact rate depends on an individual's personal exemptions (children, etc), but a monthly salary of roughly 30,000 baht will usually achieve this standard.

Immigration is a different story - and remember: if you want a work permit that is valid for longer than about 80 days, you must get an extended entry permit - and then a work permit to match.

If your extended entry permit will be based on employment, North Americans and Japanese must be earning at least 60,000 baht per month - Europeans and Australians (+ NZ) need 50,000 baht per month.

Thus - if you are married to a Thai, you can obtain a work permit on that basis at say 40,000 baht per month, and then obtain an extension to your entry permit on the basis if supporting a Thai spouse (with an income of at least 40,000 baht per month), and then get a matching "one year" work permit.

Meaning: Immigration will turn you away with a 40,000 baht monthly income, if you are using that for "an extension based on employment" - but they will approve the same packert, if it contains documentation of marriage to a Thai spouse, and you are filing under the category "extension to support a Thai spouse."

Cheers!

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Indo-Siam Group

Bangkok

[email protected]

www.thaistartup.com

Thus - if you are married to a Thai, you can obtain a work permit on that basis at say 40,000 baht per month, and then obtain an extension to your entry permit on the basis if supporting a Thai spouse (with an income of at least 40,000 baht per month), and then get a matching "one year" work permit.

Meaning:  Immigration will turn you away with a 40,000 baht monthly income, if you are using that for "an extension based on employment" - but they will approve the same packert, if it contains documentation of marriage to a Thai spouse, and you are filing under the category "extension to support a Thai spouse."

Thanks Steve!

This is just the situation I'm in and the information I needed(but didn't know how to ask for).

Just one more question - I married a Thai in the US about 10 years ago and we have lived in the US ever since ; we plan to emigrate to Thailand at the end of 2004. Will a marriage certificate issued in the US be sufficient proof of marriage to a Thai woman for my dealings with Thai immigration, or will something else be needed?

My suggestion would be for you and your wife to take your overseas marriage registration to the Amphur in Thailand where she is registered, and obtain a local Thai marriage registration document. I understand that they will generally back-date such a form - although I have also heard that some locations simply issue the Thai registration, effective the date it is issued.

This approach saves you from translation and notarization fees, which will dog you endlesly if you operate permanently using just overseas documents.

Some Thais are afraidto register such a marriage in Thailand - because up untila fewyears ago, registration in Thailand would caluse a wife to forfeit land rights - but this practice is no longer the case.

Good luck!

Steve

Indo-Siam

Some Thais are afraidto register such a marriage in Thailand - because up untila fewyears ago, registration in Thailand would caluse a wife to forfeit land rights - but this practice is no longer the case.

Was/Is this (presently repealed restriction on Thai Women Married to non-Thai) the only discriminatory policy? Were/are there any other legal/social/cultural restrictions on Thais married to farang men?

I understand that they will generally back-date such a form - although I have also heard that some locations simply issue the Thai registration, effective the date it is issued.

Oops - forgot to ask in my previous post -

You made a point of mentioning the effective date of the marriage after we register it in Thailand. We've been married for ten years. Is there some advantage to be gained (or lost) for having the thai registered date to go back 10 years instead just a day ?

Thanks.

Was/Is this (presently repealed restriction on Thai Women Married to non-Thai) the only discriminatory policy? Were/are there any other legal/social/cultural restrictions on Thais married to farang men?

until some years ago a child born to foreign father/Thai mother had to take the nationality of the father and schooling in state schools was not possible, but this has changed over ten years ago.

opalhort