Configuring Outlook Help! Smtp Server Maxnet

everydaysthesame

Just bought a new domain name which comes with POP3 Mailboxes.

I am trying to configure it work with Outlook. It is all straightforward (I think) apart from it asks for Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP). In the instructions it says :

''Outgoing mail server = leave set to your ISP''

Can anyone help me with this? I dont know what this means. I tried just putting my ISP in: 192.168 etc but it didnt work. I use Maxnet on Koh Samui.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

If you're using a laptop and use the internet in various locations this will be problematic for you. You would need to know the smtp server and login info for every cafe you use.

If this is the case, you might consider routing your mail through another provider that does provide an smtp server, such as gmail. If you need this, let me know and i can help out if you like.

IIRC, there have been some posts in this forum concerning the reliability of smtp servers from local ISPs.

Your found smtp is correct for tt&t.

I don't use outlook anymore but thunderbird instead, its free download and you can very easily open multiple accounts with different smtp address per account.

But guess that a simple hotmail or other web based email account will be easier.

rono

the thing is I want to be able to send emails from the email address from my new domain name not from the hotmail or gmail address. Its a business site so i want it to look professional.

any ideas?

If you used gmail, depending on the email client they would either see:

FROM: '[email protected]' on behalf of '[email protected]' (outlook would show this)

or

Obviously the latter is more desirable, but you can't control it. Gmail is simply playing by the rules and making it known that the mail came from their servers and not the address of the sender.

The best solution imho would be changing to a host that actually has an smtp server. I can recommend some good hosts at affordable prices if you're interested. If you'd rather stick with the current provider, i can help you with the gmail configuration as well.

thanks so much for your help.

I have managed to configure to Thunderbird (which is excellent by the way). I also get free webmail for when i am away so i will use that - once i manage to configure it! i have also set up forwarding to my gmail as a back up.

thanks again.

the thing is I want to be able to send emails from the email address from my new domain name not from the hotmail or gmail address. Its a business site so i want it to look professional.

any ideas?

If you used gmail, depending on the email client they would either see:

FROM: '[email protected]' on behalf of '[email protected]' (outlook would show this)

or

Obviously the latter is more desirable, but you can't control it. Gmail is simply playing by the rules and making it known that the mail came from their servers and not the address of the sender.

The best solution imho would be changing to a host that actually has an smtp server. I can recommend some good hosts at affordable prices if you're interested. If you'd rather stick with the current provider, i can help you with the gmail configuration as well.