Thailand Elite

I wonder if anybody here has used Thailand Elite, or knows someone who has? Shelling out US $25,000 is a big commitment, but if it created the possibilty to own real estate, it might be justifiable. I have to believe there is much to be found in the tiny print, and the web site seems all selling, and provides limited information. They seem to imply some special link with immigration yielding a 5 year visa. Just how does that work, I wonder?

A relative sent me the following email, which sparked my interest.

I was reading the paper and saw this article about a Thailand Elite Card.

You have to pay a lifetime membership fee of $25,000. For that you get the

privilege of the right to purchase a residence, exemption from visa

requirements and the right to stay in the country for 5 years, free medical

care, discounts on hotel and airfare etc. Check out the website at

www.thailandelite.com

:o

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fully agree to Ovenman's comment.

In short, forget about the right to buy land, they found out that it is against the law, so a subsidiary of Elite will hold the land for you in trust.

Somebody mentioned in the newspapers, that this as well is against the law.

I have one customer/friend who has the card. Visa is ok, you can stay 90 days at a time, than either out or extent for Baht 1900.

Express service at the airport for intern. flights, i.e. pick up from the gate, sep counter for Elite, lounge next to the customs and they call you once your luggage is in the boot of the limo, which is free both ways. Discount on hotel is not exciting, I get better corporate rates, tickets usually limited to TG...

Scam or an expensive visa-solution to be polite.

Watched the CEO of Thai Elite being interviewed on Channel News Asia the other day and had to laugh repeatedly. He said they have sold 500 cards since it's first offering (Toxin had predicted a 1,000,000 cards to be sold and that the Thai treasury would get a trillion baht from his innovation :D ). btw, many of the "500" were given away free to celebs, etc. In the very next breath, he said their goal was 10,000 cards by the end of the year. hahaha :o

Regarding land "ownership", the CEO repeatedly try to worm out of saying that factually the card holder does NOT own the land. I have to admit the interviewer was good and kept asking specifically who does. The answer is the Elite card company holds it for you. It then went on to babble about how the parliment was going to discuss "special legislation" that allowed Elite card holders to be exempt from the current law which bans foreign ownership of land. hahaha... yeah right, I'm holding my breath for that to happen.

As for the visa...since that seems to be the only real incentive, then a million baht is certainly not worth it... unless you have a million to throw away... but if you do, then perhaps an equal donation to a suitable Thai charity like any of the "Home for the Aged" places around the country would be a good gesture.

Bottom line, it's a Toxin scam to have foreigners pay for his populist money giveaways. There are good reasons they have fallen 999,500 cards short of their goal.

In short, forget about the right to buy land, they found out that it is against the law, so a subsidiary of Elite will hold the land for you in trust.

This statement sums up the Elite Card: they discovered after they got the program rolling that what was promised couldn't actually be delivered. Not an auspicious start for what is supposed to last a lifetime and ostensibly can be transferred to your heirs. :o

Watched the CEO of Thai Elite being interviewed on Channel News Asia the other day and had to laugh repeatedly. He said they have sold 500 cards since it's first offering

Geez, they had already sold 500 card several months back. Unless the interview you saw was old that doesn't say much for the current rate of sales, does it? Better get a move on boys or you won't hit that target of 10,000 units moved by the end of the year! :o

The Malaysian offer looks much better.

The My Second Home program? That does look to be a good deal. No age restrictions, ability to own a home (two in fact), allowance for a renewable five-year stay, etc. The Malay program appears to be everything that many wish would be implemented in Thailand.

The Malaysian offer looks much better.

The My Second Home program? That does look to be a good deal. No age restrictions, ability to own a home (two in fact), allowance for a renewable five-year stay, etc. The Malay program appears to be everything that many wish would be implemented in Thailand.

I ma starting to think that Malaysia could be a better deal than Thailand.

Better infrastructure, more reliable economy etc... but girls not as pretty

KL is a beautiful city even though it's only 1/10 of Bangkok.

Better Internet infrastructure, and more International than Thailand thanks to their government policies. I might even invest in their stock market

I understand from an informed source that a total of only nine (9) Elite cards have actually been sold.  All the rest were given away.

One would think that with numbers like this, be it nine cards sold or even 500 sold against what should have been a target of 200,000 cards sold in the first year, the powers-that-be would take a hint and pronounce this scheme dead on arrival. Not here in Amazing Thailand though. It seems like every few weeks there's another story in the newspaper or on the TV news about how they are going to pump some life into this idea and start moving those cards like there's no tomorrow.

Someone may want to correct me on this but wasn't this company that was selling these cards set up in Singapore so they did not have to pay Thai taxes. Now tell me this is not a scarey thought. What about this company holding deeds to property for you. Most likely when you wanted to sell the property you would find out their had been a loan taken out against it. The whole thing was flakey to start with.

Someone may want to correct me on this but wasn't this company that was selling these cards set up in Singapore so they did not have to pay Thai taxes. Now tell me this is not a scarey thought.

False

That was a travel agency based in Singapore who is reselling the cards, as they are based in Singapore they get paid in Singapore.

When I purchased mine I was asked to wire my payment to a Thai bank account.

I love the Thailand Elite card, but more for convenience sake than anything else. The airport service is great, the 5 yr visa is great, travel arrangement services are pretty good although the discounts aren't spectacular.

I wouldn't buy one to be able to own land.

But realistically, how safe are the other options?

Putting it in your girlfriends name? HAHAHAHAHAHA

Setting up a company to own it? That's an attempt to circumvent Thai law and although many do it without much of a problem it is technically illegal.

At least you'll have someone to sue if it's in Thailand Elite's name :o

Someone may want to correct me on this but wasn't this company that was selling these cards set up in Singapore so they did not have to pay Thai taxes. Now tell me this is not a scarey thought.

False

That was a travel agency based in Singapore who is reselling the cards, as they are based in Singapore they get paid in Singapore.

When I purchased mine I was asked to wire my payment to a Thai bank account.

Are you happy you purchased it? What benefits have you derived?

So, you actually bought this card? You are amongst those 9 people stupid enough (if you pardon me) to give 1 million for this? Is it actually worth it, seriously? I wouldn't pay even 100,000 for this. I prefer to do the visa run every 15 months to Penang, it is not that expensive. And the other so called benefits of this card... Well, I couldn't care less. It is simply not worth it.

Money doesn't come that easy. Why didn't you give 1 million to the needy instead?

CMTthai, yes I am happy I purchased it, I do a lot of business in this region but not in Thailand. Thailand is the country I enjoy most in this region so this is my home base.

I am not married, I am younger than 50 and do not have a business here so it's either 30 day entry stamps, tourist visas, going through the hassle of setting up a bogus company for non-B visa or a Thailand Elite visa.

The Thailand Elite visa was the most convenient and most legitimate option and since 1 million baht is not a lot of money to me I purchased it.

In addition if you travel frequently then not having to cue up for immigration etc. is a nice bonus.

Someone may want to correct me on this but wasn't this company that was selling these cards set up in Singapore so they did not have to pay Thai taxes. Now tell me this is not a scarey thought. What about this company holding deeds to property for you. Most likely when you wanted to sell the property you would find out their had been a loan taken out against it. The whole thing was flakey to start with.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...pic=3882&st=75#

Believe I was the first to raise this question in here on 2003-11-27, 11:28:45 (page 4) and will further check.

I Quote from APPLICATION FORM FOR THAILAND ELITE CARD by

AKTIV COMPANY LIMITED ("Thailand Elite Representative") #1513, 15/F, Q House Asoke, 66 Sukhumvit 21, Wattana, Bangkok 10110, Thailand

"Methods of Payment of Membership Fee of US$ 25,000

Money Transfer to Account No. 101-078-063-8 ("Aktiv Co. Ltd"), Swift Code: UOVBSGSG

United Overseas Bank Ltd, 80 Raffles Place 07-01 UOB Plaza 1, Singapore 048624"

--------------------

Axel

OK, you can as well pay to an account in Thailand in Baht.

it was issued at Suan Plu. It's a green full page sticker visa. Visa type = "Special Entry Visa" and it has a big Thailand Elite logo on it.

So the validity is 5 years (must be utilized before xx.xx.2009 ?

And you get 90 days on each arrival?

it was issued at Suan Plu. It's a green full page sticker visa. Visa type = "Special Entry Visa" and it has a big Thailand Elite logo on it.

Yes expiry is in 2009. They stamp 90 days on each arrival and you can extend another 90 days at Suan Plu for 1900bht.

They say they'll give another 5 years in 2009... keeping my fingers crossed they'll still be in business by then :o

what I do not understand is if you leave country anyways you paid

for quick service at the check in point. I hope you do get the extra

after 2009 and if not maybe immigration will find it to give you at least

one multi entry 1 year visa just to make things right.

@ Orion76: Believe you got some valid reasons.

I did the calculation b4 for myself, it wold not work, as anyway I do biz in Thailand and need/have a WP and anyway leave LoS not more than 15 times a year.

@Lop: If you give all your hardearned money to the 'needy' you will have nothing left.

But your idea has its merrit. If TPC promises to pass on 50% of the amount received from each member to the needy, would you become a member or still feel stupid

Yes expiry is in 2009. They stamp 90 days on each arrival and you can extend another 90 days at Suan Plu for 1900bht.

They say they'll give another 5 years in 2009... keeping my fingers crossed they'll still be in business by then :o

Can you do subsequent extensions at Suan Pluh without ever having to leave the Kingdom, within 5 years?

Or do you need to leave after first 90 days entry permit + 90 days Suan Pluh extension @ 1,900 Baht, total 180 days?