Sexism, Forum Rules, And Sub-forums

MyPenRye

Sexism, forum rules, and sub-forums  

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Forum rules state:

3) Religious or racial slurs, rude and degrading comments towards women, or extremely negative views of Thailand will not be tolerated.

Although I love the forum and admire the acumen of the people who run it, this rule appears to be sexist as it states by default that it is ok to degrade men. On the other hand, come to think of it, should it be there, in the first place?

In essence, I wonder, is any criticism towards any group or a sub-group unacceptable (apart from issues regarding the monarchy, of course), no matter how sensitive one expresses it? In other words, should I go on cultivating my garden, stating that all is the best of all possible worlds (a la Candide) or is a healhy, level-headed debate critical of the behaviour of a segment of the population (no matter how degrading or dispeckable it is), possessing maybe consdiderable unjustifiable legal power (laws) not only acceptable, but useful?

Furthermore, I wonder why women have a forum (sub-forum to be technical) and men don't? I wonder why family and children have a forum? (I see a de facto erosion of male rights in the West [to the point where men are not getting an equal share of rights with women]. I would hope that this --and other occurences-- are just fortuitous, of course. :o) Oh! And, please, could we name it "gentlemen's forum" as the women's forum is called "ladies forum"?

So, I would like to poll --and might do further polling-- should the membership decide that a change or changes need to take place. Feel free to give suggestions as to the type of change you would like to see?

Of course, please debate things in keeping with the existing rules. :D

Thanks.

MPR

The 3rd part of the poll needs changing, cannot chose "none of these".

I don't see a problem with these rules because in general the ladies in this forum are much less likely to be rude, sexist, trollish or negative. I also agree that they should have their own group because in this forum i would imagine them to be a minority. What is the point of having a sub-forum for the majority? Also, there is no rule that says a man cannot post in the ladies forum.

I agree that degrading comments should not be allowed to either men or women. However I suspect the moderators follow the spirit, rather than the letter, of this rule. i.e. they don't allow degrading comments aimed at men.

I saw a thread started along the lines of "men with Thai wives are really sad", which yes was degrading to men primarily. It was closed down within a few minutes.

Hats off to the moderators. But yes a small edit to that rule might be welcome.

quite right nidge, if there is something in the ladies forum that you consider sexist towards men then please report it. But as we women are the minority on a male dominated forum you could say the whole forum is a gentlemens forum where women are welcome to post & it was decided a long time ago that we women would have aplace specifically to discuss women related issues to not offend the sensitivities of some men who do not wish to read about where is the best place to get a bikini wax, for example.

As for your problem with the familily forum, whats wrong with it?? Family is inclusive of mums, dads, kids, grandparents, aunts unlcles so where is this specifically restricting men???

But hey, why not email [email protected] & ask the owners of this site directly.?