In Need Of Desperate Advice - Abt Soi 15 Hotel In Bangkok

writingale

Dear friends,

I booked at Star Suites Serviced Apartments in Sukumbvit road, Soi 15. I don't find any website or reviews for this hotel... can anybody tell me if it's a good hotel? Is the area well-reputed, near to BTS? I'm visiting Thailand for the first time, coming with my elderly family. Any help deeply appreciated!

Thanks,

Radhika

I don't know the hotel concerned, but there are a few websites that list the place. E.g.

http://www.roommillion.com/apartments_over...&type=short

http://hotel2thailand.com/bangkok-hotels/S...nts_contact.asp

From the address, I think it's probably a fair distance down the soi. The mouth of the soi is about 2 minutes walk from Asoke skytrain station. You'll probably need to use a taxi to get to the skytrain, given the age of your family.

The listed prices make me think it's not a top-notch establishment. Perhaps 2*.

Sorry, my last reply wasn't very sympathetic.

The hotel is very close to lots of great restaurants and shopping centres. Robinson (department store) is close to the mouth of the soi. Times Square (a shopping centre) is almost opposite. Emporium (up market shopping) is one BTS stop away at Phrom Phong.

Major tourist sites are a bit further away, but taxis in Bangkok are very cheap.

(Khamtieng House is pretty close - a charming old Thai house - but it's probably not on the top 10 list of most tourists.)

From your name, I'm guessing you're Indian. On Sukhumwit Soi 11/1 there are two great Indian restaurants: Dosa King (south Indian vegetarian food), and Mrs. Balbir's (north Indian food) - that's about a 10 minute walk from the entrance to your soi.

You won't be spending much time in the hotel, so even if it isn't great your family can have a great time.

Wishing you a great trip.

O.

Sorry, my last reply wasn't very sympathetic.

The hotel is very close to lots of great restaurants and shopping centres. Robinson (department store) is close to the mouth of the soi. Times Square (a shopping centre) is almost opposite. Emporium (up market shopping) is one BTS stop away at Phrom Phong.

Major tourist sites are a bit further away, but taxis in Bangkok are very cheap.

(Khamtieng House is pretty close - a charming old Thai house - but it's probably not on the top 10 list of most tourists.)

From your name, I'm guessing you're Indian. On Sukhumwit Soi 11/1 there are two great Indian restaurants: Dosa King (south Indian vegetarian food), and Mrs. Balbir's (north Indian food) - that's about a 10 minute walk from the entrance to your soi.

You won't be spending much time in the hotel, so even if it isn't great your family can have a great time.

Wishing you a great trip.

O.

Dear Oswulf,

Thank you very much for your advice. My parents are old-fashioned and I promised them that I will get accomodation in a pretty safe area... so it will be helpful if you can let me know - are there many nightclubs or go-go bars or general night time activities that happen in Soi 15 and surrounding areas?

And yes, we are out most of the day and will be back only after 10pm every night... so would we be looking at shady happenings in the street in the area? If Soi 15 is wild, then I will change my stay plans accordingly... really appreciate your help!

Edited by writingale

Sukhumwit soi 15 is not wild. I'm pretty sure your parents won't see anything inappropriate.

The closer you get to soi Nana (soi 4, I think) the naughtier things get. And soi Cowboy (just off soi Asoke) is also pretty naughty. Avoid these and you'll be fine.

(I'm not sure how accurate this information is - I don't visit girly bars. There are probably others on this site who can give you more accurate advice.)

Anyway, I see no reason for you to change your plans.

Have a great trip!

O.

Star suites is a 10 to 15 minute walk up soi 15.

Its serviced apartments not a hotel, although they do a nightly rate.

Its not the safest soi at night, I remember being warned by the security about bag snatchings.

If you can cancel your booking, you would be better off somewhere on Sukhumvit road.