My Unwanted Influence In The Village

Flummoxed

I remember when I first went to the village and met the local folks. Since we had been together for about 4 years prior outside of thailand. The only thing they were amazed about was, I was not big and fat and the family did not become rich all of a sudden. No rushing off of the female population but come to think about it there was not many there to start with at least not ones that looked good enough to work in a bar or tourist area with success. Maybe I got there late but they did say they had only ever had one old farang live in there villiage before but they had seen some in the main city several km's away.

It's never been mentioned but these people aren't stupid.

Then we can mention how stupid you are to make a post like this. I think its total BS but if you are sincere then you are a total jackass.

You show up at the village and all of a sudden they start talking about going to work in bars? They did not know about that before huh? The people of your village knew about phuket bars long before you showed up.

On the other hand--if your post is sincere and other girls are really talking about going to find someone like you... it has to be because you are being milked big time.

hahahahah

Good One Falong I have been reading Private Dancer and the Farang in Love with the Thai Bargirl is being taken for a ride and that's a book!!!! Pete(The main character) said that he didn't care if the Bargirl had a husband or a boyfriend :o as long as she told him the truth. He would still Love her!!!

Does anyone know if this book is true?? I mean did it happen to the author??

It has to be a dullard troll. Ignore him.

Then we can mention how stupid you are to make a post like this. I think its total BS but if you are sincere then you are a total jackass.

You show up at the village and all of a sudden they start talking about going to work in bars? They did not know about that before huh? The people of your village knew about phuket bars long before you showed up.

On the other hand--if your post is sincere and other girls are really talking about going to find someone like you... it has to be because you are being milked big time.

hahahahah

Good One Falong I have been reading Private Dancer and the Farang in Love with the Thai Bargirl is being taken for a ride and that's a book!!!! Pete(The main character) said that he didn't care if the Bargirl had a husband or a boyfriend :o as long as she told him the truth. He would still Love her!!!

Welcome back Doc.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm saddened by what has happened in my girlfriends village and my arrival made it happen. I am the only Farang for many miles. I'm relatively young at 33 and quite handsome. My girlfriend was incredibly happy when I first arrived there last year and all the village turned out to meet me. It was a wonderful time and still is. However, there has been an undesired effect. My girlfriends older Sister dissapeared around 2 weeks after she first met me. I asked my girlfriend where she had gone and she replied 'My Sister go work bar in Phuket. She want find boyfriend same you.' I was devastated. Her Sister knew where me and my girlfreind had met and now wanted to try for herself. Furthermore, I often hear the local lasses chatting about me and my girlfriend and many of them are now considering a stint in the bars after meeting me, their attitude being it can't be all that bad if it will enable them to meet guys like me.

I know it is quite a compliment that they should discuss me in this way but I'm deeply upset by this phenomenon. My very presence here has encouraged girls into the sex industry. Does anyone else have experience of this and how do you deal with it?

Maybe my daily depression is caused by the fact that I don’t think like you. All I hear from your ponderings is the song lyrics: "You're so vain

You probably think this song is about you," by Carly Simon

I can understand your gf telling the truth as to where you two met to her sister, but to others in the village? I would imagine mentioning working in a bar is something most village girls would avoid doing.

Ask her to stop telling everyone where you met or tell her to make something up.

If nothing has been mentioned but they all now want to run away an work in a bar maybe they are stupid!

hahahahah

Welcome back Doc.

Good upon you 12call :D

Does anyone know if this book is true??  I mean did it happen to the author??

Its about as true as Warren Fellows book about being in Prison in Thailand.

A work of fiction, with a little bit of fact thrown in. It is written to sell, not to tell facts.

Blast - just wrote a long response that disappeared into cyberspace - lost without trace.

OK - two parts to this reply.

Private Dancer is not written for profit - it may be down-loaded for free on a Stephen Leather web-site. He has written other books, mainly about SE Asia, that have been published - thereby making a profit for the publisher and rewarding the author for his time and effort.

Personally I have not read Private Dancer, although I down-loaded it about five years ago. Glanced through it, did not like the format, bored by the couple of samples I did read. Anyway, I have enough books around me to keep me going - read about three novels a month, plus technical publications.

But back to the original poster's comments.

My wife has just finished building a house in her baan in Chaiyaphum. So my bank manager is now smiling at me again. When talking with the people in the village, most of the girls are well aware of the bar-scene outside, but most leave home originally to go to work in the factories and shops of the towns and cities of LOS. All leave home - even if some return after a few weeks, preferring their family to the great world outside.

Some are looking for the immediate Thai husband - some looking for money to repay their parents for the care during their first sixteen years of life. Some already have the intention of going to work in the bars, not to find a husband, but to find money. Few have Western concepts of 'handsome'. Most want the money and are prepared to tolerate these smelly, argumentative, nosy farangs that bring the money.

But they are ill-served by the education system. I applaud Ajarn for trying to bring more knowledge to some. But it is the very basis of Western culture that we have enquiring minds. This is not encouraged in the rote learning of reading, writing, 'rithmetic as taught in the rural schools. Nor by the media, where TV is controlled by the Government and Army, and tabloid press presents pictures but few facts. Opinions are formed by the leaders, not the people.

The whole system needs to be pointed in a new direction if the countries of SE Asia are to take a greater place in the world - dictators, even when painted in the colours of prime ministers and democratic leaders, will not advance their people towards independent thought.