Asus Eee Pc

mac.wheeler

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rumors at PC Advisor of 8in., 8.9in., and 10 in. screen models. Official announcement from Asus should be starting in about another hour from now.

I too am waiting for confirmation of the rumoured 8.9" Eee PC

In the meantime, is anyone running the current Eee PC with Windows XP and accessing the internet in Thailand using their GPRS phone connected by bluetooth dongle or cable

If so, hows it running, any problems ?

Rumors at PC Advisor of 8in., 8.9in., and 10 in. screen models. Official announcement from Asus should be starting in about another hour from now.

I too am waiting for confirmation of the rumoured 8.9" Eee PC

In the meantime, is anyone running the current Eee PC with Windows XP and accessing the internet in Thailand using their GPRS phone connected by bluetooth dongle or cable

If so, hows it running, any problems ?

I use my EEE PC on the beach connected to my HTC TYTN smartphone and using DTAC EDGE, it works perfectly, no problems at all, I still get around 2 hours battery life from the PC even though it is charging the phone via the cable at the same time.

Upgrading the BIOS to 8804 made a big difference for me, I had compressed my C: drive to free up as much space as I could for applications, with the CPU now running at a true 900Mhz things are a lot smoother.

I use my EEE PC on the beach connected to my HTC TYTN smartphone and using DTAC EDGE, it works perfectly, no problems at all, I still get around 2 hours battery life from the PC even though it is charging the phone via the cable at the same time.

Upgrading the BIOS to 8804 made a big difference for me, I had compressed my C: drive to free up as much space as I could for applications, with the CPU now running at a true 900Mhz things are a lot smoother.

but doesn't the new BIOS overclock the CPU? resulting in extra heat and possible damaged to the hardware?

just wondering if I should upgrade.

There seems to be confirmation from one or two blogs at an Asus news conference, that there will be indeed, in addition to the 7 in., an 8 in. and a 8.9 in. screen size version, appearing in Q2. Larger screen size will provide a resolution of 1024 x 600. By the sounds of it, Asus may be dropping Linux, in favor of Win XP, which is a plus for some, but a disappointment to me. I would have preferred to have the option. Looks like the 10 in., is a no go.

There seems to be confirmation from one or two blogs at an Asus news conference, that there will be indeed, in addition to the 7 in., an 8 in. and a 8.9 in. screen size version, appearing in Q2. Larger screen size will provide a resolution of 1024 x 600. By the sounds of it, Asus may be dropping Linux, in favor of Win XP, which is a plus for some, but a disappointment to me. I would have preferred to have the option. Looks like the 10 in., is a no go.

wouldn't the bigger screen mean more weight to the machine? i kinda like my 7" screen. small, light, versatile.

wouldn't the bigger screen mean more weight to the machine? i kinda like my 7" screen. small, light, versatile.

No mention of what the weight increase would be. I don't have young eyesight anymore, so I would sacrifice a small increase in weight for the larger screen size. The 7 in. model will still be available to those who still prefer it. No confirmation of pricing, which of course will be a factor for the new models as well.

but doesn't the new BIOS overclock the CPU? resulting in extra heat and possible damaged to the hardware?

No. The processor is rated for 900MHz but there may have been processor batch issues that had problems with it running at full spec. BTW where can you download the 8804 BIOS? The site I tried never could get a successful download. The issue members have complained about with the 8804 is video stripping at the top of the screen. Wonder when ASUS will have a working (stable) BIOS upgrade?

No. The processor is rated for 900MHz but there may have been processor batch issues that had problems with it running at full spec. BTW where can you download the 8804 BIOS? The site I tried never could get a successful download. The issue members have complained about with the 8804 is video stripping a the top of the screen. Wonder when ASUS will have a working (stabel) BIOS upgrade?

I googled it up Tywais, I'll try and see if I still have the link in the history of my browser when I get a chance.

I also had heard of the display problems with the BIOS update so made sure to back up my original BIOS. Once I had flashed the little beast I did notice some kind of ghosting of certain areas of the screen, but Intel have released some updated generic drivers and installing these fixed the problem.

I have noticed no problems with more heat, the machine is stable and feels quite a bit more responsive.

Having used the EEE PC for a while now I only have 1 single problem with it. The 480 vertical resolution is just not enough, most applications pop up windows deeper than 480 so you need to switch to the virtual 600 just to click OK or Cancel.

I googled it up Tywais, I'll try and see if I still have the link in the history of my browser when I get a chance.

I also had heard of the display problems with the BIOS update so made sure to back up my original BIOS. Once I had flashed the little beast I did notice some kind of ghosting of certain areas of the screen, but Intel have released some updated generic drivers and installing these fixed the problem.

I have noticed no problems with more heat, the machine is stable and feels quite a bit more responsive.

Having used the EEE PC for a while now I only have 1 single problem with it. The 480 vertical resolution is just not enough, most applications pop up windows deeper than 480 so you need to switch to the virtual 600 just to click OK or Cancel.

mike wheeler, perhaps uploading the BIOS update for us together with that Intel generic drivers for us TV members? at rapidshare or something if its ok with you.

yes, sometimes have to switch to 600 pix. but its ok i guess. i love this thing. its wonderful.

Tried to download it a few times several days ago and figured out the problem. When I see a .zip I usually right click and use Flashget to download it. Just happens that is a blind link and need to click normally to go to the rapidshare site for it.

Some more info on the 8804

eeeuser 8804

eeeuser How To Flash

As for the 480/600 I agree it was a bit of a nuisance but have gotten used to it and leave in 600 mode. Scrolls up/down fast enough to not bother me now.

One of the researchers at the lab has been eying one and saw mine on my desk and started asking questions about it. She figured the 4GB would be too limiting until I explained how to 'slim' it down plus the SD card and external USB expansion capability. She has a full size notebook but is tired of carrying it back and forth to her lectures and thought this would be great for it. She asked about MS word and Autocad (though she really only needs an dwg viewer which I have).

I just installed MS Office 2007 (Word, Excel and PowerPoint - the ones she will mostly need) on my SD card. The results were surprising, opening any of those applications from the SD card takes about 1 second and actually faster load then my desktop system. I also have an Office reader which can be used to read/print any of the standard Office apps without installing office.

Right now, the biggest crutch of the EEEpc is the screen. If they could just make it bigger, meaning they take away the black side bevel, then it would be much, much better. A resolution of 1024x600 would be much less limiting than the current one, which won't fit many web pages, let alone dialog boxes. I'll definitely buy one for my niece when it comes out, along with an external slim DVD writer. Otherwise, it's not practical enough IMHO. Cute, lightweight, intriguing, but not practical.

And why not put XP on it? You use the OS that has the programs that you need, you don't use an OS just because it's technically superior or elegant.

Why is it that nearly all the shops that display the EEEpc have a sticker saying in Thai "please don't swing the LCD" as in don't move the LCD screen on its hinge. Is the hinge *that* fragile?

Personally, I would prefer that Asus keeps the option of buying it with Linux. After a few years running anti-spyware daily and weekly runs of anti-virus programs, I'm getting tired of MS. I'm not a techie, and all I would be getting this little machine for is lightweight travel, to access the web in order to read e-mail and enter my bank/brokerage accounts. I don't need need all the bells and whistles, like a webcam, so a stripped down version with a larger screen, at a reasonable price, would do me just fine.

Right now, the biggest crutch of the EEEpc is the screen. If they could just make it bigger, meaning they take away the black side bevel, then it would be much, much better. A resolution of 1024x600 would be much less limiting than the current one, which won't fit many web pages, let alone dialog boxes. I'll definitely buy one for my niece when it comes out, along with an external slim DVD writer. Otherwise, it's not practical enough IMHO. Cute, lightweight, intriguing, but not practical.

And why not put XP on it? You use the OS that has the programs that you need, you don't use an OS just because it's technically superior or elegant.

Why is it that nearly all the shops that display the EEEpc have a sticker saying in Thai "please don't swing the LCD" as in don't move the LCD screen on its hinge. Is the hinge *that* fragile?

Plenty practical for me as a Math teacher with wifi in the office.

I can do my required lesson plans, exams, and other reports fine.

I do not need a DVD player/writer.

I have XP on it as they installed it free at Fortunetown when I bought it.

And the hinge is solid as a rock ... excellent mechanical design IMO.

I love this little baby.

It should have been available 2 years ago when flash became so cheap.

Cheers

:o

OK, before other people start chiming in about they think it's practical, my comments were that it was not practical enough for my own uses. Yes, for certain applications, it's more than practical enough, but not for all. Just like a notebook is practical for a lot of purposes, but not for all.

Sfokevin, those pics are of the 8" screen, not the 8.9" screen. If Asus uses typical 8.9" screens, then it should have 1280x800 resolution (hopefully), but of course cost quite a bit more. *Then* I'll buy it.

OK, before other people start chiming in about they think it's practical, my comments were that it was not practical enough for my own uses. Yes, for certain applications, it's more than practical enough, but not for all. Just like a notebook is practical for a lot of purposes, but not for all.

I was going to 'chime' in but was sure you weren't making a blanket statement and restrained myself. :D Your clarification statement above was pretty much what I was going to say in response. It's a 'niche' machine and in my case fills that niche very well. :o

Just another tip for gaining disk space using XP on the eee for those who may not be aware of it. You can right click on a drive (NTFS) and select properties. Then click on the Advanced button and select "Compress contents to save space". I was able to gain 400 MB using this. There may be a slight performance hit but very small and see no difference after doing it.

If you get an error message saying file in use, just choose ignore all. Those are system files and won't be compressed but not an issue.

Just another tip for gaining disk space using XP on the eee for those who may not be aware of it. You can right click on a drive (NTFS) and select properties. Then click on the Advanced button and select "Compress contents to save space". I was able to gain 400 MB using this. There may be a slight performance hit but very small and see no difference after doing it.

If you get an error message saying file in use, just choose ignore all. Those are system files and won't be compressed but not an issue.

I did exactly the same thing a while back, I have 1Gb free now on my C: drive and the only application missing from my usual PC install is MS Office, I installed OpenOffice instead thinking it would be thinner. However; I did install outlook 2008 as I use a hosted exchange mail account and that alone took 700Mb as it installs a lot of the shared stuff from office also. I think I might take OpenOffice off the machine and install word, excel and powerpoint, I should still end up with around 600Mb free.

I already have great plans for this little machine, some time later in the year I will be starting to split my time each month between Koh Phangan and Surin. I was intending to leave a laptop each end and carry my work with me on a USB stick. Instead I will just buy a monitor and a keyboard to leave on Koh Phangan and use the EEE PC as both a travelling workstation and a desktop replacement whilst I am on Koh Phangan. My expensive ASUS GS2 gaming laptop can then sit safely in the house in Surin and not risk getting bashed about whilst travelling every month.

With regards to the 8.9" screen debate, if it would run 1024 x 800 I would probably switch over to using it, I am a freelancer writer and working for more than a couple of hours on the current screen really makes my eyes water. But there is no way I would consider swapping over if it either increases the size of the machine or reduces the battery life, right now the true portability of the little beast is what has me enthralled, I throw it into my bag each morning and carry it everywhere with me, nobody would even suspect I have a laptop in my small rucksack along with the baby milk and diapers.

Some of the following are just rumors, so treat them as such.

I read somewhere the other day (can't find it now), that Asus will be releasing a larger battery for the Eee, sometime in February.

Looking at a few blogs from the recent past:

January 8th/08

From Nexus.net:

"According to slides we saw, ASUS will be releasing three models in Q2 2008, including 7-, 8-, and 8.9in-equipped SKUs. The latter will sport a 1024x600 resolution, up from the 800x480 in first-generation models."

January 2nd/08

From Mobile Magazine:

"According to Holger Schmidt, a German Asus spokesperson, the computer company is planning on creating a desktop Eee PC some time this year and it will likely boast the same Linux operating system."

January 1st/08

From Laptop logic:

"Current 7" LCD panels in the Eee PC costs $40. The larger 8.9" panels will increase unit costs by $15-$20 approx."

if anyone did read post number 79 at gizmodo, they clearly state that the screen resolution would remain the same at 800x480 for the 8" version. not sure about the 8.9" though. but with a bigger screen that takes some space of the speakers. same size exactly. perhaps a bit more weight just for the bigger screen which i reckon would be minimal.

A new challenger, Everex will be releasing their ultra-light (2 lb.) "CloudBook", at Wal-mart in the U.S. as of Jan 25th/08. Selling price = U.S. $399. Should be interesting to see what the other hardware companies can come up with this year.

Just picked up mine :o

installed XP, and let loose XPlite to do away with all unnecessary stuff.

Only one thing has me mystified, no programs installed yet, have only four folders on my c drive (Documents and settings, Intel, Program files and Windows) of which the combined size is under 1 GB, yet my c drive properties show 2.7 GB used!

Empty recycle bin etc., where the heck is the 1.7 GB gone to? Have show hidden files enabled so reckon everything on the thing should show up!

Empty recycle bin etc., where the heck is the 1.7 GB gone to? Have show hidden files enabled so reckon everything on the thing should show up!

Go back to one of my posts on how to disable paging, that will fix it. :o After disabling paging, reboot and the paging file will be gone. Also, set the drive to "Compress files to save space".

//edit - with all the research I've been doing and testing perhaps I should write an FAQ. :D