Scam Artist On Ploenchit

camerata

Last summer sitting outside a Bar near Nana Plaza a guy-I forgot his nationality, approached me and asked if I want to buy

a DUPONT lighter-of course Original-also it was really very heavy, a big US-silver coin and something else.

I did not buy it, was not sure, what to do.

I detest the organised scammers. One morning when I was sleeping late (I'd stayed up half the night watching football on TV) I was awakened by persistent ringing of the bell on the front gate. I staggered out to be confronted by a well dressed couple, he in a suit with collar and tie, she in a pretty dress, and they stated that they were collecting for a physically handicapped ex-servicemans organisation. I noticed that two other couples were trying their luck further along the road. They should me a card, written in Thai of course, to convince me that they were kosher. Being extremely grumpy at being disturbed just when Grace Kelly and I were about to get it on, I advised them to contact their Government who surely should shoulder responsibility for the men's welfare and returned to my litter to resume my fantasy.

I mentioned this to a friend later in the day. Two or three days later the group worked his locality and called at his house and gave with the spiel. He offered to help and went back into the house, returning with a bucket of water, which he threw over them. A tad OTT I think and there could have been repercussions, but well deserved.

I'm curious, does the problem of begging and low end scamming seem to be getting better or worse with time? As the country develops are there any services coming out to help support these people? Or is it getting worse as more and more tourists come to Thailand making it easier to make a living this way?

I actually think I see less of the begging. Every other day or so I go out for a long "photography walk" (3-8 km). I always put 20 baht in 1 baht coins in my pocket. The first "worthy" beggar I see gets it. The last two days -- admittedly not in touristy areas (although that never made much difference in the past) I didn't encounter even a single beggar.

I detest the organised scammers. One morning when I was sleeping late (I'd stayed up half the night watching football on TV) I was awakened by persistent ringing of the bell on the front gate. I staggered out to be confronted by a well dressed couple, he in a suit with collar and tie, she in a pretty dress, and they stated that they were collecting for a physically handicapped ex-servicemans organisation. I noticed that two other couples were trying their luck further along the road. They should me a card, written in Thai of course, to convince me that they were kosher. Being extremely grumpy at being disturbed just when Grace Kelly and I were about to get it on, I advised them to contact their Government who surely should shoulder responsibility for the men's welfare and returned to my litter to resume my fantasy.

I mentioned this to a friend later in the day. Two or three days later the group worked his locality and called at his house and gave with the spiel. He offered to help and went back into the house, returning with a bucket of water, which he threw over them. A tad OTT I think and there could have been repercussions, but well deserved.

I don't understand how you know this is a scam.

Last evening I was eating at Au Bon Pain and a young lady came up with similar literature. I assumed she was authentic, but I was angry that she would interrupt my dinner, and I let her know it.

I don't understand how you know this is a scam.

Last evening I was eating at Au Bon Pain and a young lady came up with similar literature. I assumed she was authentic, but I was angry that she would interrupt my dinner, and I let her know it.

One I encounter occasionally in Phuket when sitting in a restaurant are those with a little sign stating they are deaf & connot speak. They often plonk themselves down on a spare chair. I consider this a complete lack of courtesy or manners on their part & always wave them away, besides I do not believe their written spiel. We also get what I consider to be fake monks calling out from the gate asking me or my GF to make merit. There are also the noisy blind singers.

As for the street beggars I feel they are part of an organised ring & even though they may be genuinely in hardship most of the money goes to the boss.

In India children & others can be deliberately maimed in order to gain more sympathy while begging & I wonder if that happens here. Nothing in this country would surprise me anymore as to the depths to which some elements will stoop to feed their greed. Trading on human misery is despicable to say the least.

Assisting groups or people who are in genuine need of help by giving them the means to be self sufficient is far better than giving them cash. Just think about all the money that disappeared during the tsunami recovery.

I recently and rather unwittingly gave money to some deformed beggar with no legs. Seeing as its near Christmas, and i can afford spare change.

The scam artist was Cambodian-looking and probably removed his own legs just to take advantage of gullible people like me. Beware.

I know this one of old ,he has been around for years ,my friend has seen him in Phuket as well ,once saw him (on his false legs) smoking a fag and laughing with some Thai friends on the corner of sukhumvit soi 7 ,is he the one who drags himself along with fake blood on the bandages?

I'm trying to get this one straight. He has false legs because he was born with none, or they were taken off in an accident (land mine or something), or has he amputated his own legs to make more money begging?

It would seem that either way he has no legs so why is this a scam? It would seem to me that he has a legitimate right to beg.

I don't need a warning about this guy, thanks. I'll give him money if I see him.

I actually think I see less of the begging. Every other day or so I go out for a long "photography walk" (3-8 km). I always put 20 baht in 1 baht coins in my pocket. The first "worthy" beggar I see gets it. The last two days -- admittedly not in touristy areas (although that never made much difference in the past) I didn't encounter even a single beggar.

What a good idea. I shall hold a "worthy beggar" contest outside my house twice a week, winner gets 20 baht. I'll line 'em up, standing, or lying, to attention and inspect the troops. "Nice work with the bandages there Somchai, the added pus is a fine move". "Thank you sir, I was up all night squeezing my daughters pimples to get it". "Lovely suppuration of the sore you've got there madam". "My, aren't you the smooth talker?" "I see you've hacked off your other leg Mr Daeng. Well done". "I find it gets me more sympathy, and I got a blue plastic bucket for it off the dog collectors". But, once again, the prize for worthiest beggar goes to... "nice to see you again Mr Thaksin". (Yes, I had to get him into this thread).

Edited by ballpoint

I recently and rather unwittingly gave money to some deformed beggar with no legs. Seeing as its near Christmas, and i can afford spare change.

The scam artist was Cambodian-looking and probably removed his own legs just to take advantage of gullible people like me. Beware.

I know this one of old ,he has been around for years ,my friend has seen him in Phuket as well ,once saw him (on his false legs) smoking a fag and laughing with some Thai friends on the corner of sukhumvit soi 7 ,is he the one who drags himself along with fake blood on the bandages?

I'm trying to get this one straight. He has false legs because he was born with none, or they were taken off in an accident (land mine or something), or has he amputated his own legs to make more money begging?

It would seem that either way he has no legs so why is this a scam? It would seem to me that he has a legitimate right to beg.

I don't need a warning about this guy, thanks. I'll give him money if I see him.

I've got to go with tropo on this one. In my book a deformed guy with no legs "existing" around the streets of Bangkok has every right to beg and if i have any change he's most welcome to it. I find it hard to believe that his physical state is one of choosing.

I've got to go with tropo on this one. In my book a deformed guy with no legs "existing" around the streets of Bangkok has every right to beg and if i have any change he's most welcome to it. I find it hard to believe that his physical state is one of choosing.

It was so extremely generous of Kmart to give that scamming, deformed beggar with no legs some spare change, even if it was done "unwittingly".

Soi 22 oh sukkers has a few "deaf" ones. I was a bit drunk and regret to say I tested him by making a loud clap behind his ear, he didnt flinch or see it. But, weirdly, he also did not speak thai sign language (which I know a little of). So, sometimes it might not add up but they can be genuine anyway.

I've sat and watched handicapped beggars a number of times (waiting for my gf at markets) and noticed that they receive the bulk of their gratuities from Thais and are ignored by most Farang. Farang seem to specialize, especially on this forum, at finding reasons why they shouldn't give to disadvantaged people.

Thailand is a cheap holiday destination, so it makes sense that the majority of tourists here are tight fisted.

The sad part is that a lot of Farang who trip over handicapped beggars in the street are probably overtipping bar girls with hard luck stories, massage girls, restaurant staff etc.

Edited by tropo

I've sat and watched handicapped beggars a number of times (waiting for my gf at markets) and noticed that they receive the bulk of their gratuities from Thais and are ignored by most Farang. Farang seem to specialize, especially on this forum, at finding reasons why they shouldn't give to disadvantaged people.

Thailand is a cheap holiday destination, so it makes sense that the majority of tourists here are tight fisted.

The sad part is that a lot of Farang who trip over handicapped beggars in the street are probably overtipping bar girls with hard luck stories, massage girls, restaurant staff etc.

Think it's a bit unfair to say that the majority of tourists are tight fisted. If anything, I would say that most are a bit naive and over-generous. I think it is those of us who have spent a lot of time in Bangkok that have become a little cynical and suspicious and in many cases we are right to be so.

When I am walking down the street and I see a begger or someone trying to sell me a suit, I suddenly go into convulsions, my head goes side to side, and drool goes down the side of my jaw. Its amazing how they never ask me for anything. My wife hates it when I do it and the other people look at me like I'm the crazy one, but at least I'm not stopped and bothered.

What a good idea. I shall hold a "worthy beggar" contest outside my house twice a week, winner gets 20 baht. I'll line 'em up, standing, or lying, to attention and inspect the troops. "Nice work with the bandages there Somchai, the added pus is a fine move". "Thank you sir, I was up all night squeezing my daughters pimples to get it". "Lovely suppuration of the sore you've got there madam". "My, aren't you the smooth talker?" "I see you've hacked off your other leg Mr Daeng. Well done". "I find it gets me more sympathy, and I got a blue plastic bucket for it off the dog collectors". But, once again, the prize for worthiest beggar goes to... "nice to see you again Mr Thaksin". (Yes, I had to get him into this thread).

I know, easy to make me sound cheap. But, I prefer to give the more serious money at the temples I visit, as well as a few organized charities. Is that okay with you?

And as far as the term "worthy beggars", perhaps you've seen the double amputee...who actually hides his arms under his shirt...everyday. But, you'd probably think he's worthy, too.

I think it is those of us who have spent a lot of time in Bangkok that have become a little cynical and suspicious and in many cases we are right to be so.

Yes,, I agree. Like Kmart thinking that a deformed person with crutches (or some type of artificial legs) was scamming him. I wasn't talking about able bodied scammers, but the obviosly handicapped ones.

Typical farang selfloathing here.

If we are talking about the 'beggars' around tourist and expat areas then they certainly don't deserve a dime. They are organized and work several different places during a day. Like the man with no legs who has been lying at various places in Sukhumvit for many years. He starts his day down near on nut, makes his way to Asok and Nana, then shifts side and works his way up to Phrom Phong. He seems remarkably mobile for someone with no legs. He is probably being driven around by his wife. I bet that guy makes more than the average Thai in wages.

And I certainly don't see Thais giving beggars much time, unless of course a farang such as your truly stuffs 20 baht in a cup, then they all rush to give money as to not be seen as stingy.

Give or not to give? Let each decide for themselves. I give to beggars randomly as my need for good karma dictates.

And I certainly don't see Thais giving beggars much time, unless of course a farang such as your truly stuffs 20 baht in a cup, then they all rush to give money as to not be seen as stingy.

Away from the tourist areas I see Thais giving to beggars all the time. Around Sukhumvit I think it is too obviously an organized racket. A few years ago at the Soi 19 pedestrian bridge they even had a woman with kids and a cute little (expensive-looking) white puppy.

Street Hustlers are part of every day city life worldwide. Whether it's London, Paris, New York or Bangkok, hustlers on the streets make a living by whatever means they can.

Anyone remember Billy Ray Valentine played by Eddie Murphy? <deleted> hilarious! and before Political Correctness seriously ruined comedy on a global scale.

Now that's not to say there aren't some needy people out there and it doesn't take much to work out who to give a few Baht to and who not.

I know, easy to make me sound cheap. But, I prefer to give the more serious money at the temples I visit, as well as a few organized charities. Is that okay with you?

Re-reading my post I can see why you came to that conclusion, but my intention wasn't to take the piss out of you, rather it was to take the piss out of the organised begging brigade. I too am not going to give my money to every beggar, or bugger, I cross paths with, legitimate or not. But, if I have coins in my pocket and see someone "worthy", for want of a better term, I will hand them over.

Feel free to do what you like with your money.

I regularly cross the bridge in front Central Bang Na. Several months ago, I started giving loose change to a kid who was begging. The boy was around 9 or 10 and was sitting on that bridge for up to ten hours a day, six days a week. I then started to give him loose change every day. Not much, between 5 and 20bahts, depending on what I had in my pocket.

And then one day, as I was crossing the bridge, I saw that boy talking and standing next to a well-dressed middle aged Thai woman. I then saw the boy put a small plastic bag on the rail, next to the woman. The boy then went back to sit at his usual spot. After one minute or so, the woman took the plastic bag, removed some coins and bills from it and shoved everything down her rather expensive-looking handbag before moving away to another, more discreet location, where she could look at the boy and the profit he would be making for her.

Obviously, I was particularly shocked and mad as hel_l. I hate violence against women but in this case, I would have gladly smacked her across the face. Not only did that lowlife earn a lot of money by using the pity of strangers for a small boy, she was also forcing a child to sit for hours in the rain or in the tropical heat just so she could keep buying nice clothes.

I only wish the police would do something against that kind of child exploitation... But oh well, TIT.