I'm An Old Fart

chanchao

I mean, what else do you call a person who strings Christmas lights through some pine-like trees in the garden. Or a person who even HAS a (*$(&(@# garden.

It's weird. You're 30-something, going on 4-O, you're at a Home Improvement Store. (The thought of even BEING at such a place at all was unthinkable mere months ago.. :o )

And then.. They're there. Suddenly. Christmas lights. 30 (THIRTY) baht for a string. Is the Devil, or worse, the Church sponsoring these.. How can Christmas lights cost 30 baht! In various colors. I tried to resist.. but... Old-fartishness won. I was thinking how the kid would like it, how it would bring brightness in the dark days of winter, how it would illuminate my upcoming New Years party.. A c@cks#$#cking GARDEN party, mind, with friends who by and large also have kids or at least are married or in a meaningful relationship..

In just a few years you go from properly vomiting your guts out in the city moat at 4am after an awesome party with mayem & girls everywhere.. And look at the state of things now. :D

At least I'm in Chiang Mai already, the Great Farang Retirement Home.

oi!

Blasphemous Topic Title. You know well and good that this is the title of a breaking news story just three or four days ago!.

:red card smilie thingie:

Edit: Embarrassed smilie thingie:

Correction...I posted it on the other two forii but not here.

Sorry.

I'm an old fart now.

//Edit: changed link to be link to the respective BBC web page (rather than to another forum)

Edited by Maestro

chanchao, perhaps you and I did our lives in reverse fashions. I stopped puking my guts out at age 22, followed by 33 years of parenthood, including lots of Christmas tree lights and nappy changings. Now I'm an old fart on a sportbike, going to unmentionable places with lots of pretty pretty boys. Let me know when you'll need my oversized Peter Pan costume. :o

In just a few years you go from properly vomiting your guts out in the city moat at 4am after an awesome party with mayem & girls everywhere.. And look at the state of things now. :o

So that was you, eh? If you are feeling the need to string lights, perhaps you should string them across that wide butt of your's while you are staggering down the road at 4am looking for a car that resembles your's.

Or maybe that was Ass_tied? ThaiPauly? Too many to remember..

Oops, I am forgetting that we earn points here by being civil..

Merry farking Christmas, Chanchao!

(subtracting 4, adding 2 merit points to my account..)

Chancho,

I know where you are coming from........I don't get back home until Saturday, but one of my first stops will be Carrefour to pick up a tree and strings and strings of lights.

Then I plan on rummaging through a box of old tapes and find the Manheim Steamroller's Christmas Album, and start blasting the neighborhood..........

The kids have always wanted to see snow, so maybe a few cans of the fake stuff and turn down the AC. Just about perfect!!!!!!

Might need to buy some rum, nah a case of Leo will do me just fine.

and of course you can download a nice Christmas tree widget for your PC

mine has lots of flashing light, and christmas goodies under the tree n i c e.....

So far a busy week got all the lights put up from last year.. will drive into BKK tomorrow to buy marzipan for the christmas cake

Merry Christmas...... then I am an old fart but don't live in CM

Chanchao,

To make up for my earlier indiscretion:

Last Saturday myself (28) encouraged my housemates (25 & 23) to get out there, (Tesco's, not Asda) and do a big shop for a Christmas Dinner.

On the way we stopped at Homebase, where my housemates encouraged me to get a tree for Christmas.

With lights.

And decorations.

And once home, this bachelor proceeded to put up the bugger, decorate and belight it.

And before I got to cooking (duck, chicken, potaters, parsnip, carrot, gravy, and SPROUTS)

as I admired the tree, I felt warm fuzzy feelings/

We had a homely tree. (we still have it)

We had a cozy household and guest coming, and... and... it all felt soright, that it was wrong. So we cooked the bastard of a meal (really well) and when our guests arrived we reverted to our old ways and drank like camels after a 3 month desert crossing.

PS: My Tesco's doesn't have fresh turkey meet available until the last week before Christmas: it's either frozen or other poultry.

question is, would you rather have your old fart life with kid, wifey & chrissy tree or go back to puking your guts up at 4am & waking up alone or once the lady from the night before has left spend your time alone?

so is this thread about Christmas or about getting old? I still don't get it.

Doesn’t matter, when your getting old you cannot remember what was posted 1 or 2 post ago :D:bah::o:bah::D

:o

I thought blue lights signified a transexual (in the context of a red-light district) - anyone know ? In fact, many of us would think "POLICE !". You could make that the theme of your garden party :D .

But I am getting a bit worried thinking of all these 30 Baht lights being strung up throughout the nation. There's that expression "lit up like a Christmas tree" :D ...

question is, would you rather have your old fart life with kid, wifey & chrissy tree or go back to puking your guts up at 4am & waking up alone or once the lady from the night before has left spend your time alone?

Ah. Well, when you have the one you want the other and vice versa.

Cases of Human Nature..

I thought blue lights signified a transexual (in the context of a red-light district) - anyone know ?

Yikes... I suddenly remembered what the combination of Blue and Yellow signifies in Thailand. Oh well. :D

In fact, many of us would think "POLICE !". You could make that the theme of your garden party :D

Ah.. now there's a thought..!

japanese_police.jpg:o

Edited by chanchao

I thought blue lights signified a transexual (in the context of a red-light district) - anyone know ?

Yikes... I suddenly remembered what the combination of Blue and Yellow signifies in Thailand. Oh well. :D

In fact, many of us would think "POLICE !". You could make that the theme of your garden party :D

Ah.. now there's a thought..!

japanese_police.jpg:o

For those who know not, and may (for some reason) guess at a disreputable meaning, blue and yellow are actually the official motor racing colours of Thailand. The French (who started organising this stuff) chose blue for themselves and, having found that Brits think green cars are unlucky, immediately gave them green, of course.

Then (c.1932) along came Prince Bira of Siam and began winning races. His personal colour was blue but of course the frogs couldn't allow that, especially as he drove a British car! Negotiations resulted in him adding yellow on behalf of the Thai Royals, so blue and yellow is still the official motor racing livery of Thailand.

But, Chanchao, please, what do YOU think it signifies? And as we are so far off topic now (what was it by the way?) feel free to tell us!!