Death Penalty In Thailand

12call

According to the Thai Penal Code, any person sentenced to death shall be shot to death. However, they all have aright to submit apetition to His Majesty the King for individual royal pardon. In addition, there are also collective royal pardon on special or important national events. In case where collective pardon is granted, the death sentence shall reduce to life imprisonment. Thus, in practice, only a small number of executions have been carried out.

All male inmates on condemned status are confined at Bangkwang Central Prison, the most maximum security prison in country. Femals are confined at Female Central Prison in Bangkok. There are at present 55 condemned inmates, all male, waiting for the Royal Pardon.

Method of Execution

Prior to 1935, beheading was the method of execution. Later, the method was changed to firing squad. Thus,at present,firing squad is the only authorized method of execution in Thailand. It has been used for 281 executions since 1935. Effort has been made to change to lethal injection which belived to be more humane method of execution. If the method of execution is to be changed from firing squad to lethal injection, the Thai Penal Code will have to be amended.

If you are going to post cut and paste please give credit to the website and try to use current information. What you posted is from 2001 and is incorrect. Thailand has never used a "firing squad". One person using a machine gun was the method. Lethal injection is the current method.

Why or what prompted you to make this post.? You are quite wrong as Lopburi has indicated Lethal Injection is now the only form of death penalty.

I am really curious as to why, as an experienced poster you posted this mis-information?

If you are going to post cut and paste please give credit to the website and try to use current information.  What you posted is from 2001 and is incorrect.  Thailand has never used a "firing squad".  One person using a machine gun was the method.  Lethal injection is the current method.

http://www.correct.go.th/death.htm

http://www.correct.go.th/eng.htm

Why or what prompted you to make this post.? You are quite wrong as Lopburi has indicated Lethal Injection is now the only form of death penalty.

I am really curious as to why, as an experienced poster you posted this mis-information?

I second that motion. It is Sunday, so it might be a drink inspired posting. :o

If you are going to post cut and paste please give credit to the website and try to use current information.  What you posted is from 2001 and is incorrect.  Thailand has never used a "firing squad".  One person using a machine gun was the method.  Lethal injection is the current method.

http://www.correct.go.th/death.htm

http://www.correct.go.th/eng.htm

And then ?

Correction:

Senate backs changes to executions

Published on Mar 14, 2003

The Senate yesterday voted to introduce fatal injections for executions and to abolish the death penalty and life sentences for 14 to 18 year olds.

Voting 104 to 13, the upper house approved the first reading of a bill to amend the Criminal Code, although several senators called for the complete abolition of the death penalty and for lesser jail terms for under-18 year olds. The bill will now be vetted by a special Senate committee before being sent back to the chamber for a second and third reading.

Executions are carried out by firing squad, and 14- to 18-year-olds can be sentenced to death or life imprisonment. The amendment seeks to make 50 years imprisonment the maximum sentence for this age group. Several senators said that 50 years imprisonment was too long for those under 18 because they would be unable to live a normal life after 50 years in prison.

Suphan Buri Senator Somkiat Onwimol said that 50 years imprisonment is a living death sentence for convicted youths and the maximum sentence should be 20 years in jail.

On the new method of execution, Somkiat said the death penalty should be abolished altogether.

"As a senator, I cannot raise my hand to vote for people to be killed," Somkiat said. His call for the abolition of the death penalty was backed by Bangkok Senator Chirmsak Pinthong, who said lethal injection was no different to shooting.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/page.arcvi...03-14&usrsess=1

If you are going to post cut and paste please give credit to the website and try to use current information. What you posted is from 2001 and is incorrect. Thailand has never used a "firing squad". One person using a machine gun was the method. Lethal injection is the current method.

clap clap :o

Correction:

Senate backs changes to executions

Published on Mar 14, 2003

The Senate yesterday voted to introduce fatal injections for executions and to abolish the death penalty and life sentences for 14 to 18 year olds.

Voting 104 to 13, the upper house approved the first reading of a bill to amend the Criminal Code, although several senators called for the complete abolition of the death penalty and for lesser jail terms for under-18 year olds. The bill will now be vetted by a special Senate committee before being sent back to the chamber for a second and third reading.

Executions are carried out by firing squad, and 14- to 18-year-olds can be sentenced to death or life imprisonment. The amendment seeks to make 50 years imprisonment the maximum sentence for this age group. Several senators said that 50 years imprisonment was too long for those under 18 because they would be unable to live a normal life after 50 years in prison.

Suphan Buri Senator Somkiat Onwimol said that 50 years imprisonment is a living death sentence for convicted youths and the maximum sentence should be 20 years in jail.

On the new method of execution, Somkiat said the death penalty should be abolished altogether.

"As a senator, I cannot raise my hand to vote for people to be killed," Somkiat said. His call for the abolition of the death penalty was backed by Bangkok Senator Chirmsak Pinthong, who said lethal injection was no different to shooting.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/page.arcvi...03-14&usrsess=1

You haven't advanced your case one iota.

i just say the documentry from the bbc on bangkwan prison aka "bangkok hilton" last week. they showed the living conditions including some real NO BRAIN pommies like our matthew. who still cant get it into his head he was stupid and won't get out in the next 50 years. (he brought extasy over just to pay for the holiday)????

they also showed the prison cells and the death row and execution chamber. They showed the place where they killed prisoners with a gun , blood still splattered all over. Now they used lethal injection wich is a three step process. they bind you to a table and hook you up to a baxter after wich they insert first a kalming seditative, the strong sedative and then the lethal agent. As they said to make it more humane.

the body is then cremated the next day in the adjacent temple.

for your information:

Thailand's Bangkwang jail - know in the West as the Bangkok Hilton - is one of the most notorious prisons in the world.

Until now, the reality of life in Bangkwang has remained a secret. But for the first time ever, the jail has opened its gates to television cameras.

After two years of negotiations, Thai officials have allowed a crew from the BBC's This World series to film inside the prison.

The Real Bangkok Hilton

Thursday, 22 July, 2004

2100 BST on BBC Two (UK)

Most of the 7,000 inmates are serving time for drug offences.

Among those interviewed for the film are two of the nine British prisoners, one man on death row, the head executioner and the monk who administers the last rites.

With massive overcrowding and little funding, prisoners dying of Aids are left shackled to their beds. A doctor explains how Thai society is reluctant to donate medicine as it thinks the prisoners deserve their suffering.

"Thai prisons are tough," says Director of Prisons Khun Nattee as a warning to tourists... "you don't want to be in Bangkwang."

I've always had the opinion that if you know the score before you do the deed then it's no good whingeing if you're caught and suffer what you knew you'd suffer. Maybe the camera crew should have been allowed complete access. That would concentrate wonderfully the minds of anyone contemplating an illegal venture.

As for the death penalty: I'm against it on the grounds that a 100% guaranteed method of determining guilt has still to be found. However, I don't berate other countries for having it. I'd either keep my nose clean in those countries or not go there.

Thailand's Bangkwang jail - know in the West as the Bangkok Hilton - is one of the most notorious prisons in the world. Until now, the reality of life in Bangkwang has remained a secret. But for the first time ever, the jail has opened its gates to television cameras. After two years of negotiations, Thai officials have allowed a crew from the BBC's This World series to film inside the prison.

[/quote

The inmates who bet the rest of their lives against drug profits and lost brought the shit down on themselves. What did they expect ... luxury accommodation and gourmet meals ? From a humanitarian standpopint, I don't think anyone should spend ten seconds in Bang Kwang. From a rational standpoint, taking into account the nature of their crimes, I have no sympathy for them at all.

"Thai prisons are tough," says Director of Prisons Khun Nattee as a warning to tourists... "you don't want to be in Bangkwang."

Truer words were never spoken!

What you are saying in fact Rod is that it took the authorities two years to get the prison in any kinda fit condition for the BBC and the outside world to see.

It was great PR, the prison came out of it far better than any stories or books I have read about it, do you think those interviewed (I saw it in the UK) might have been told

"Now dont say anything bad and we will knock a few years off your sentence" If I was in there I would jump at the chance to lie through my teeth for a few extra years of freedom F#@k what the outside world thinks, wouldn't you?

from what I saw I am still convinced it was great Thai propaganda considering what the outside world feel about Thailand's human rights record, especially since the drug wars, but the documentary clearly sent out a warning to idiots that think they can waltz in carrying drugs, DONT DO IT YOU F@#$KWITS.

How anyone could be in favour of the death penalty is beyond me. It is very common in the US that people are arrested, convicted and put to death for crimes they did not commit. Fortunately DNA testing has eliminated some of the false

convictions before they get to the critical stage on death row. It just isn't right in my opinion.