Jatropha

nitecm

China ,India and indonesia are planting a lot of Jatropha.The price of Palm oil has force many Biofuel manufacturer in

difficult situation .So anyone know the situation of growing Jatropha at Thailand ? Is there any buyer of Jatropha crude oil ?

• 1 year later...

Anyone know a way I could get JATROPHA seeds?

Am willing to pay or trade. I have unique plants/seeds etc, as trade items.

I'm open to bargaining for a few seeds or kilos worth - whatever.

contact me direct via T.visa, or post a response here.

Anyone know a way I could get JATROPHA seeds?

Am willing to pay or trade. I have unique plants/seeds etc, as trade items.

I'm open to bargaining for a few seeds or kilos worth - whatever.

contact me direct via T.visa, or post a response here.

Not hard to find at all. If you find yourself in Chiang Mai I've probably got some. You're welcome to whatever I have.

Any Thai agricultural research site will probably have "sabu dam" starts for free. Several such places here in Chiang Mai.

Edited by lannarebirth

you say it's called 'sabu dam' in Thai? wow, that's rather cool: 'black soap'

I've heard the oil/sap is whitish - do Thais use it as a soap-like product? Any insights are appreciated.

Also, I've heard Burma has an extensive program of encouraging their people to put in jatropha plantations - as part of plan to get Burma weaned from dependence on fossil fuels. Anyone have more to add to that?

hi i newbie here........ i have a 8rai land at north east thailand and intend to plant jatropha... where can i buy jatropha seedling?? Anyone planted jatropha at north east thailand? Please advice anything that need to look out for... thanks a million!

China ,India and indonesia are planting a lot of Jatropha.The price of Palm oil has force many Biofuel manufacturer in

difficult situation .So anyone know the situation of growing Jatropha at Thailand ? Is there any buyer of Jatropha crude oil ?

You will have no problem in selling the Jatropha oil. I work for a comapny in this field, and I am forever being asked by buyers to provide Jatropha oil. The problem is, I can't get enough.

I have two rai of healthy, four year old sabudum, planted solely to study if making Bio was feasable.

The one and only problem is harvesting.

With plenty of seed on the trees, it takes a "motivated" staff an hour to collect two kilograms of husks which translates to about a kilogram of nuts, which will produce about 350 - 400 mls of oil +/- depending on your extractor.

Price break even - about 50 - 60B per litre of finished B100.

Not feasable with regular diesel products selling at 25B.

I have two rai of healthy, four year old sabudum, planted solely to study if making Bio was feasable.

With plenty of seed on the trees, it takes a "motivated" staff an hour to collect two kilograms of husks which translates to about a kilogram of nuts, which will produce about 350 - 400 mls of oil +/- depending on your extractor.

I'm involve in planting jatropha and palm oil in Madagascar

the main problem is at the moment the pods have to be hand picked

the pod take a long time to drop naturally

very labour intensive and the costs out way the return

except in ultra poor rural areas

or where the price of diesel is very high

we are working on some types of mechanical pickers

units like olive shakers kill the plant etc

but the cost of the protype units will make them only useful for major plantations

• 2 weeks later...

A nice website about Jatropha, here: http://www.jatrophabiodiesel.org/jatrophaPlantation.php

The stuff grows like a weed and has no problems growing on soil that has high saline content or problems with dry spells; this describes many parts of Isaan perfectly. Intercropping with sugarcane or on the shoulders of rice paddies would be the perfect place to plant them, but as was pointed out if you count in labor costs the thing is currently hardly viable.

What is seldom mentioned that the Jatropha plant contains cariongenous compounds (eg Phorbol), Trypsin inhibitors (an enzyme essential to the nutrition of many animals), the sap is a skin irritant and the nuts are actually that toxic that ingesting three of them might be already fatal.

Not a thing you want to grow in the garden behind your house with your kid playing there (the nuts just have the perfect size to be put in a children's mouth).

I'm involve in planting jatropha and palm oil in Madagascar

the main problem is at the moment the pods have to be hand picked

the pod take a long time to drop naturally

very labour intensive and the costs out way the return

except in ultra poor rural areas

or where the price of diesel is very high

we are working on some types of mechanical pickers

units like olive shakers kill the plant etc

but the cost of the protype units will make them only useful for major plantations