Mbk

Briggsy

About 4 years, I bought a backpack in MBK. I bought it from a camping shop rather than a stall. It was truly cavernous, the bag not the shop! You could fit a tent, a sleeping bag, large binoculars, books and loads of clothes in it. The deal was it was fake, you knew it was fake and the vendor did not try to kid you otherwise. It had a silly brand name like Nooth Fart or All Pine Low. A bargain at 600 Baht. It fell apart after 18 months which was fine by me.

Fast forward about 2 years. The camping shop has gone. Now the vendors are using stalls. Now they are still selling fakes but they are trying to pretend they are real. Generally asking 2000 Baht for medium size backpacks. They'll come down a bit but not much.

So, if anyone can point me in the direction of a shop which sells really big fake backpacks at non-daft tourist prices, I'd be grateful.

Why buy a counterfeit? Why not buy a large, good one, at a decent price, of a brand you never heard of? If that's an option, you can find them as Tesco, Carrefour, any department store or, if you have nothing to do...go to the gift show @ QSNCC - I found a huge one (too big for me), for less than 300THB.

Why buy a counterfeit? Why not buy a large, good one, at a decent price, of a brand you never heard of? If that's an option, you can find them as Tesco, Carrefour, any department store or, if you have nothing to do...go to the gift show @ QSNCC - I found a huge one (too big for me), for less than 300THB.

I did try Big C. There were backpacks there at reasonable prices but they were nowhere near big enough. I haven't heard of the gift show. But I'll try and find out when it's on.

Thanks for the tips.

Tried the Mall, Bangkapi tonight - no joy.

All previous trips to Jatujak have left me hot, frustrated and depressed. No matter who you ask, even in fluent Thai, nobody knows where to buy specific goods. The whole thing is some sort of tardis. I'm afraid just the mention of Jatujak fills me with a vague sadness. Am I alone in feeling this way? Also I am suspicious that anywhere that is so popular with foreigners leads to overpricing.

However, I am not one to give up easily. So, if you can give me a zone or even better a soi number in Jatujak where I can buy huge backpacks I would be very grateful.

I know I will be successful in my quest and I will share my knowledge with you when I have it.

About 4 years, I bought a backpack in MBK. I bought it from a camping shop rather than a stall. It was truly cavernous, the bag not the shop! You could fit a tent, a sleeping bag, large binoculars, books and loads of clothes in it. The deal was it was fake, you knew it was fake and the vendor did not try to kid you otherwise. It had a silly brand name like Nooth Fart or All Pine Low. A bargain at 600 Baht. It fell apart after 18 months which was fine by me.

Fast forward about 2 years. The camping shop has gone. Now the vendors are using stalls. Now they are still selling fakes but they are trying to pretend they are real. Generally asking 2000 Baht for medium size backpacks. They'll come down a bit but not much.

So, if anyone can point me in the direction of a shop which sells really big fake backpacks at non-daft tourist prices, I'd be grateful.

Have you tried Platinum mall? They're currently where the locals are now headed for bargains. MBK seems to be aimed at tourists more then anything!

Tried the Mall, Bangkapi tonight - no joy.

All previous trips to Jatujak have left me hot, frustrated and depressed. No matter who you ask, even in fluent Thai, nobody knows where to buy specific goods. The whole thing is some sort of tardis. I'm afraid just the mention of Jatujak fills me with a vague sadness. Am I alone in feeling this way? Also I am suspicious that anywhere that is so popular with foreigners leads to overpricing.

However, I am not one to give up easily. So, if you can give me a zone or even better a soi number in Jatujak where I can buy huge backpacks I would be very grateful.

I know I will be successful in my quest and I will share my knowledge with you when I have it.

There is a free map available at JJ Market whhich indicates what's in each zone. They might even have a huge backpack zone marked for you.

I have noticed though that prices seem to have risen to non JJ tourist area levels. For Farangs at least.

You might want to try Thailand Best Buy event which is on at the moment (and until Sunday I think) at Queen Sirikit National Convention Center. I went yesterday and they did have a few booths selling backpacks. I am not sure of the price or quality but they're from reputable companies. I also picked up some Arrow shirts and Hush Puppy shoes at less than 50% of the original prices!