Savannakhet? Forget About It!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thing is, however, that 5 weeks can be a lifetime in terms of current practices at any particular Consulate.

Keeping in mind that this whole thread is but 2 days old, has anyone gotten an non-ED there in say, the last 10 days?

Nobody has said one cannot get a Tourist Visa there, many people did indeed get a Tourist Visa while I was there. The thing is it was just very difficult, they wanted papers that had never been asked for before which is not business as usual. 3 months ago the only thing anyone ever said about Savannakhet was it was a easy Visa Run, right now it is not, what will it be in 2008? I don't have a clue!

its painfully obvious to me who has ruined this - visa companies such as jack golf and those that use such services. if everyone simply did it themselves it would naturally cut down the apps as many people are so lazy and so stuck in thailand that they would simply go home. now, it needs to be forced. my initial hunch is that thailand would have rather done it another way.

no one to blame but yourselves and the rest of us suffer.

Edited by luumak

I would think it's human nature for any governmental bureaucrat of any government to seek a way to lighten their workload in practically any possible manner. I recall a very good post by Peace Blondie in which he discussed this from the American IRS point of view.

I've also heard the visa run companies use the exact same statements:

job description to process visa applications whether it be 1 or 1000 a day! Thats what they get payed for!!

to justify their not compensating these governmental workers, either above the table or below it.

Perhaps if they had, the severity of these new requirements might have been delayed or not even enacted as it is seemingly decided upon at the individual consulate level.

At the end of the day
, I would have to say I agree that these convoys of big busses has certainly played a role in the additional requirements now seen at some of the more popular places. Whether or not they are the main cause or are somewhere further down the list of causative agents, their role is undeniable.

I don't necessarily blame the individual riders as per the above post, but put more of the onus on the companies themselves. If they had not expanded their operations in such a wanton manner, some of this might have been avoided. Some proper scheduling with the officials to keep things as manageable as possible as well as a little something extra given (it could have even been a minimal amount per customer) to these officials for their dramatically increased workload would have gone a long way, particularly in regards to keeping this a long-term option. However, as is common, that was decided against in lieu of the "quick-buck" that wouldn't entail cutting into profits.

Their greed and lack of foresight played a major role in all of this.

IMHO.

Edited by sriracha john

A 21 day visa ???

there really is no such thing as a 21 day visa.

What they used to issue to Africans in Ho Chi Minh was a 7 - day visa. It's actually a trasit visa with a comment "permitted entry for 7 days" but the immigration officers at the border normally stamp the passport in for 1 month.

Also, up till now, there's only one guy in Vientiane that approves visa for Africans, so when he isn't there, the poor guys always have to wait for days, sometimes for a whole week. All the Africans that were stranded in Cambodia 2,3 years ago do not even want to come back here anymore because they have peace of mind now. They can get a one year business visa for just $280.

Imagine that you're the commanding officer, the local chief, of a border post or a small consulate. By police/military rank, maybe you're just a major, with less than ten employees, limited budget, with no input to the top. The bosses above you won't give you more budget or personnel. Suddenly Jake's Gulforama Super Executive Visa Service starts shipping 200 visa runners to your station. Your staff cannot process that many. Invent some requirement that the Africans must present their applications in Urdu, and the Mongolians must speak in Finnish. Make any excuses you wish. "We are only here for Somalian refugees. We only process those forms on odd numbered Mondays. We're all out of somtam; can you call out for pizza with oregano and pepperoni?"

I like that penultimate line, "This tour has been suspending." With suspenders, or with an athletic supporter? What has it been suspending, visa runners?

Unfortunnatly jack golf visa runs were part of the problem.

In just over a year it went from a very easy consulate, with only a 5 hr wait for your visa to 2 days trip.

The consulate got over run simple answer make it difficult for visa's.

Paul Mukdahan

its painfully obvious to me who has ruined this - visa companies such as jack golf and those that use such services. if everyone simply did it themselves it would naturally cut down the apps as many people are so lazy and so stuck in thailand that they would simply go home. now, it needs to be forced. my initial hunch is that thailand would have rather done it another way.

no one to blame but yourselves and the rest of us suffer.

It's painfully obvious you don't know what you are talking about. The visa run companies arrange the transport but their customers still present themselves in person for the visa applications.

Edited by tropo

At the end of the day
, I would have to say I agree that these convoys of big busses has certainly played a role in the additional requirements now seen at some of the more popular places. Whether or not they are the main cause or are somewhere further down the list of causative agents, their role is undeniable.

I don't necessarily blame the individual riders as per the above post, but put more of the onus on the companies themselves. If they had not expanded their operations in such a wanton manner, some of this might have been avoided. Some proper scheduling with the officials to keep things as manageable as possible as well as a little something extra given (it could have even been a minimal amount per customer) to these officials for their dramatically increased workload would have gone a long way, particularly in regards to keeping this a long-term option. However, as is common, that was decided against in lieu of the "quick-buck" that wouldn't entail cutting into profits.

IMHO.

The big buses have nothing to do with changing consulate practices. Whether people arrange their own transport, or go on buses with companies makes no difference at all. If people need to get a visa they will go to Laos one way or another.

Perhaps the people who think the visa run companies are responsible believe that without them people would just go home instead of applying for tourist visas.

Edited by tropo

At the end of the day

IMHO.

The big buses have nothing to do with changing consulate practices. Whether people arrange their own transport, or go on buses with companies makes no difference at all. If people need to get a visa they will go to Laos one way or another.

Perhaps the people who think the visa run companies are responsible believe that without them people would just go home instead of applying for tourist visas.

Tropo.

Your wrong I live in mukdahan & know one of the consulate staff since the big buses started the consulate was over run, they only have a small staff, I believe their staff was only increase by 1.

That was to cover the influx's of Lao's & Vietnamese tourists.

The big buses were the straw that broke the camels back.

The consulate staff here were very helpful would bend over backwards to help you before the big buses started to come.

Now they don't give 2 F**ks about visa run problems.

Same as falangs put to much pressure on someone you won't get good service from them.

Paul

At the end of the day

IMHO.

Tropo.

Your wrong I live in mukdahan & know one of the consulate staff since the big buses started the consulate was over run, they only have a small staff, I believe their staff was only increase by 1.

The consulate staff here were very helpful would bend over backwards to help you before the big buses started to come.

Same as falangs put to much pressure on someone you won't get good service from them.

Paul

Paul, can not agree with your comments.

How many buses come from BKK/Morchit or Pattaya daily?

At least 10or more.

How many times did the visarun company come?

Twice a week with mostly MiniVans.

In earlier ads in BKK Post Jacks claimed to have entertained over 1,800people since they operated this serice in one year, it makes me laugh that 1,800people have such a impact on a Consulate.

Can not understand why the Laotians and Vietnamese applied for a Tourist Visa there as they have free entry into Thailand.

It would be easy for the staff to tell these people just to enter Thailand without the Tourist Visa.

Reading also the stories about Penang I can only assume that they too received instructions from BKK to limit the number of TV issued.

...Reading also the stories about Penang I can only assume that they too received instructions from BKK to limit the number of TV issued.

I wonder whether another factor comes into play.

At a government-staffed consulate, the employees, Including His Excellency The Royal Thai Consul, get the same income regardless of the number of visa applications they process. Therefore, if they feel overworked they can reduce the workload by applying stricter rules or refuse many visa applications outright.

At an honorary consulate, the income depends mostly on the frequency with which consular services are rendered. If the demand for services increases, the consulate can immediately increase the number off staff, if necessary, without having to get approval from any Thai government official, or pay the staff overtime for working longer hours.

--

Maestro

At the end of the day

IMHO.

Tropo.

Paul

Paul, can not agree with your comments.

How many buses come from BKK/Morchit or Pattaya daily?

At least 10or more.

How many times did the visarun company come?

Twice a week with mostly MiniVans.

In earlier ads in BKK Post Jacks claimed to have entertained over 1,800people since they operated this serice in one year, it makes me laugh that 1,800people have such a impact on a Consulate.

Can not understand why the Laotians and Vietnamese applied for a Tourist Visa there as they have free entry into Thailand.

It would be easy for the staff to tell these people just to enter Thailand without the Tourist Visa.

Reading also the stories about Penang I can only assume that they too received instructions from BKK to limit the number of TV issued.

Wrong Visarunner.

I live in the bus station so I have a fairly good idea who goes where who does what coming on buses know most of the bus company managers & owners.

I didn't say the Lao's and Vietnamese need tourist Visa I said [tourist] but some do especially the Vietnamese.

They use entry premits border passes to enter thailand from the Thai consulate seems you haven't been here.

Ask any of the folks who use Savanaket as the falangs get well pissed when the Viets & Laoes jump the queue.

HAVE you been here seen the number of Thai staff at the consulate, do you remember the old Consulate?

1800 on 2 trips aweek, 10 months = 22.5 per trip & its only been running since early this year is a lot for the small number of staff + normal visa runs + small visa operators+Lao's and Vietnamese, + holidays

Come & look dear boy nobody gets free entry to thailand, even local lao's have to have a border pass I think it's 50 baht from the Thai consulate.

Buses overnight from BKK 12 from BKK daytime 5, Pattaya/Rayong 8, daytime 3, most arrive here empty.

Edited by paulmw

...Reading also the stories about Penang I can only assume that they too received instructions from BKK to limit the number of TV issued.

I wonder whether another factor comes into play.

At a government-staffed consulate, the employees, Including His Excellency The Royal Thai Consul, get the same income regardless of the number of visa applications they process. Therefore, if they feel overworked they can reduce the workload by applying stricter rules or refuse many visa applications outright.

At an honorary consulate, the income depends mostly on the frequency with which consular services are rendered. If the demand for services increases, the consulate can immediately increase the number off staff, if necessary, without having to get approval from any Thai government official, or pay the staff overtime for working longer hours.

--

Maestro

Maestro.

You hit the nail on the head.

That came from one of the employees there.

Paul

The income test for a tourist entry to Thailand is something like Bt10,000 single or Bt20,000 per family for the 30 day entry stamp so it could make sense that they ask for twice that to issue a 60 day tourist visa but I cannot believe anyone asking for 6 months bank statements, and originals (so many people only have internet banking these days). Also, there is not extension for Bt2000, it is Bt1900 so I start to see holes in the original statement. never heard of a 21 day visa either.

Tropo.

Paul

Sorry Paul, but you are wrong.

The reason that the neighboring consulates (Vientiane, Savannakhet, Penang, KL) are overrun with visa runners is because on October 1, 2006 the rules changed and large numbers of border runners became tourist visa runners instead...out of necessity.

If there weren't buses and minivans running to these consulates, the people would be finding their own way there...just as it is with Penang and KL. Most of the runners to those consulates have been individuals who organise their own transport...yet they are VERY busy.

Basically all the border runners who decided to stay are forced to use one of 4 possible choices to get their tourist visas. i.e. Savannakhet, Penang, KL and Vientiane. There are currently no other practicle choices and Penang and KL are already starting to close their doors, so expect the Lao consulates to get even busier.

Do you think that people wouldn't find their way to these consulates if the visa run companies didn't take them? Basically they're only transport companies because they don't act as visa agents.

....just a personal point of view;.....I think all of the "visa runners should somehow try to get it into their heads that they should start making plans for pastures new,.....Thailand doesn't really need second rate teachers,beach bums/farang bar owners,exploitive buisness persons,gap year students...as Bernard Trink warned many years ago making it too easy to live here would just bring the riff raff.............stop complaining and GO HOME !!!!!! :o

....In the U.K. for example their latest slogan I think is "Just and Tolerant Society" which puts family first. ...so I would suggest ALL of you whinging who are there because of work or have sufficient funds to retire or live there should get right to the back of the queue!!!!unless you have family .......is that not fair?

....just a personal point of view;.....I think all of the "visa runners should somehow try to get it into their heads that they should start making plans for pastures new,.....Thailand doesn't really need second rate teachers,beach bums/farang bar owners,exploitive buisness persons,gap year students...as Bernard Trink warned many years ago making it too easy to live here would just bring the riff raff.............stop complaining and GO HOME !!!!!! :o

What took you so long?

There's always some bigot who considers it necessary to jump in on these tourist visa threads offering "personal points of view" similar to what you just spouted.

Perhaps it's time for YOU to stop complaining, sir, and to GO HOME!!!!! :D

So what does this make you if you are outsourcing work from the UK to Thailand just to save 500 pounds? What if Thai children are involved in sewing your fire-retardent tarpaulins ? How do you feel about that?

You don,t even live in Thailand so your views are not really relevant to me.

Does the UK need another Thai wife selling spicy food on websites?

Edited by stevemiddie

Perhaps it's time for YOU to stop complaining, sir, and to GO HOME!!!!! :D

He does not live in Thailand Tropo. He just visits for 3 months. Lives in the UK so probably considers it disgraceful that Thailand...his personal holiday stomping ground even allows FOREIGNERS to live here.