Can I Get Non-b At Penang?

ok Im a little confused and undecided..

i eventually need to get a NON-B visa as i am going to apply for work permit.

i came into country on visa waiver.

one agent told me that if i got a tourist visa he would convert it to NON-B in BKK for a fee, of course.

But then i have been reading that you can get a NON-B at Penang, pretty straight forward. single entry should be fine for me.

i have all the papers ready for NON-B, but thought that it would be beter to do in BKK as there would be more guarantee of getting it than going to a consulate in another country.

SO PLEASE ADVICE ME ON WHAT IS BETTER OPTION?

GET TOURIST VISA? OR GO STRAIGHT TO PENANG AND GET NON-B?

THANKS

You must have a visa and that can only happen from a Consulate outside Thailand. Entry without visa can not be changed. And if you had a visa (tourist) you would not need any agent to get it changed for you - you could do yourself.

So take your paperwork to a consulate and get B visa - as you can not get a tourist visa without going to a consulate you may as well get the B visa if you have paperwork for it.

thanks for quick reply :o

ok couple more questions have popped into my head..

would u recommend handing over all documents to an agent to get the visa done? or inf everythign in order then can go myself? i would preer to do it, as long as the consular people arent moody/grouchy. i would hate to go there and get it rejected for wahtever reason. so are agents a more surefire way of getting it?

also do i have to show any airticket leaving Bangkok? like the return sector of the ticket i entered Thailand on? or they dont need this at all?

thanks again

You should have no trouble with the paperwork but the agents downtown can do the legwork if you like. Use an established agent from hotel or travel type office and will not cost much, or any more, than taxi to do it yourself. That said, I would do it myself the first time as if your paperwork was not good you could still get a tourist visa the same day rather than having to wait an extra day. But have taxi wait for you and set payment before travel. It should only take a half hour or less at consulate. Be sure to have local currency and photos with you for the visa (and a pen).

You will need a ticket on airline and pay 500 baht tax for international departure and of course your passport when leaving Thailand. You do not need return ticket for exit and will not need on return as you will have a visa.