How Dry Was Dry In Bkk?

jfchandler

What's the scouting report from out and around????

Went to Hanrahan's on Soi 4 hoping to at least have dinner on Friday night, but found they were closed altogether. Then terrace of Landmark Hotel was empty. Then found Huntsman Pub in hotel's basement at least open for food...but DRY with notice signs promimently posted...

So much for what a prior posters had suggested that major hotels might be exempt from this deal....

--John.

Hmmm it is still early in BKK - or atre they sleeping "It" off.

I had changed my flights next week so I arrive on the 24th and miss the closures but I am now seriously reconsidering coming up on the Saturday anyway - I can get my shopping done and out of the way as well as have a nice meal with pals before the holiday binge gets underway - I have been off the drink for 6 weeks so I could work 7 days a week on projects and Study so I am ready to go.

jfchandler, seems to me you are wet.........

Behind the ears at least, wot the phk ya expect, drinks for farangs :D but not

Thais?

If summun has not a stash of booze to use for the duration, shows that they would not have the nous to vote.

Gald I am home.......PMPL. :o

:D Booze......... booze.......... glorious........ booze aplenty. :D

jfchandler, seems to me you are wet.........

Behind the ears at least, wot the phk ya expect, drinks for farangs :D but not

Thais?

If summun has not a stash of booze to use for the duration, shows that they would not have the nous to vote.

Gald I am home.......PMPL. :o

Gee ZPete... are you always so RUDE so early in the morning???

Maybe you prefer to sit at home and drink. But some of us like to go out on occasion.

Last night happened to be the birthday party for a Thai lady friend, and she wanted to go to a pub, one that has a full blown restaurant operation inside. We fully expected maybe to not have drinks... We DIDN"T expect the entire place to be closed.

Do ya think maybe other folks who have dinner plans during the next two weekends might want to have some idea about such things?

And, in my years in Thailand, everytime there's been a rule or scheme like this in the past, there have always been those places that seemed to be able to quietly fly under the radar... But this time????

Curiously, yesteray, at Foodland on Soi 5, they were announcing over the loudspeaker that they'd have no liquor sales after MIDNIGHT. But the local bars and pubs seemed to take 6 pm Friday as their cutoff point.

--John.

Having read many posts and treads about the closing of the bars, etc, I wonder how many of the TV members that actually are dependent on alcohol.

We can discuss the closing issue until next election, and keep discussing how a good/bad idea it is.

But to me it seems like most are concerned about the lack of alcohol for a few days.

Go out and have a nice dinner with your dear one, and drink soft drinks or water for once.

Can we keep this thread as a place for FACTUAL INFORMATION?

That may help those who want to go out, to be able to plan.

Last night Khao Sarn Road was dry in all the restaurants, and therefore empty.

Does anyone have any experiences from around there, Cowboy? Nana? Patpong? Anywhere else?

This thread could (should) be used for us to help each other.

@travel2003, I'm not dependent on alcohol, as I'm sure most TV members aren't either, but it's a social thing and this is a very social time of year. Oh, and weekends are the most popular 'social' days.

Come on guys, let's post who/where was(n't) selling last night.

Can we keep this thread as a place for FACTUAL INFORMATION?

That may help those who want to go out, to be able to plan.

Last night Khao Sarn Road was dry in all the restaurants, and therefore empty.

Does anyone have any experiences from around there, Cowboy? Nana? Patpong? Anywhere else?

This thread could (should) be used for us to help each other.

@travel2003, I'm not dependent on alcohol, as I'm sure most TV members aren't either, but it's a social thing and this is a very social time of year. Oh, and weekends are the most popular 'social' days.

Come on guys, let's post who/where was(n't) selling last night.

It might be they do not want it known on a public board or they might want to keep it to themselves for next weekend :o

I know Matt the owner and David the manager of Angel Witch sent out emails saying they were open but no booze

Gee ZPete... are you always so RUDE so early in the morning???

Maybe you prefer to sit at home and drink. But some of us like to go out on occasion.

--John.

Hi John,

By 'home', I mean in NZ..........LOL .. :o

Gotta be home for Xmas, altho' one day may have it on Phuket.

Early in the morning, well we are 6 hours ahead, and I usually look in around 0900 NZDT.

Dat be 0300 in Thailand lol, guess you be staggering home from Soi Cowboy........ alone... hehe.

I agree, not so good if ya wanna go out for spashul occassion, ya need ya drinkies.

Happy drunkin'.......awwwwwwwww....

Cheers from ......

Kiwi Pete

I see other posters in a different thread reported that drinking went on as normal on Friday night in Patpong without any effort to disguise. Others said drinks also were to be had in Soi Cowboy.

I wasn't in either of those places, so can't vouch for the accuracy of those reports. The three places we tried to have drinks with dinner around Sukhumvit were all DRY.

Outside BKK it seemed to be a mixed bag. Others reported Walking Street in Pattaya was dead with virtually all the bars and a go gos closed. But some said restaurants in/around Pattaya were serving with meals.

And upcountry, posts reported a very mixed bag, with a lot talking about drinks easily available. That's something that likely could have been expected, since the reach and influence of government edicts is likely to be more heavily felt in BKK than far away.

The whole purpose of my original post was to try to share info on just where things around here might be normal. I'm a rare drinker myself. But as I said, we had a special occasion (birthday) and wanted to celebrate.

Next time, I'll tell my friend to make sure her birthday doesn't fall on the wrong day!!!!

--John.

I'm sure those love their drink will be manage to find some. There is always somewhere, somehow, get your alchl. Start from home is a good idea. Don't drink and drive. Be safe.

Most Mom and Pop type stores on every soi are still selling. Can re-stock your fridge and drink at home!

A lot of confusion about this in previous posts. Here's the deal:

Our Correspondent - Asia Sentinel -

18 December 2007

The Kingdom goes dry – well, semi-dry – in advance of elections.

During one of the year’s heaviest tourist seasons, Thailand’s military-backed government has banned alcohol sales for two consecutive election weekends. This could seem to be very bad news for thirsty non-voting expatriates, but life has a way of working out.

“Man, that’s coffee,” observed the live entertainment, a soulful American keyboardist, as he savored the contents of a mug at his side. The dozen or so customers in the pub, whose tables also had coffee mugs rather than the beer bottles or cocktail glasses one would normally see here on a Friday night, seemed to agree.

“Kafae ni mai rawn” (this coffee is cold) I had pointed out to the comely waitress when my own mug arrived, and she politely giggled at my lame attempt at humor. Icy cold, in fact, and tasting rather like a certain Singaporean brew made with hops and named after a striped cat. My companion, meanwhile, reported that his “coffee” had the distinct bouquet of Jack Daniels.

Later, a cruise through the Soi Cowboy area found the normally bustling strip of go-go bars much quieter than normal on a Friday evening. Most had opted to stay open with large signs out front proclaiming that only soft drinks and the like were available, but at least one chain of bars shut down all of its venues. Thailand’s other great economic driver, the sex industry, seemed thrown for a loop.

Except for the so-called Dark Age of a couple of years ago, during the morality crackdown under then-prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and the governor of Bangkok, the girlie bars of Soi Cowboy and vicinity have not faced anything like a Christmas period two-weekend ban. In places that were open, a few sad-looking foreigners could be seen nursing colas and water bottles as the dancing young women gazed glumly down from their brass-poled perches – sober foreigners are just not that much fun, and their pocketbooks were more likely to stay closed.

This was our investigative experience on December 14, the first evening of the sudden and unwelcome alcohol ban in the Land of Smiles. The purported reason: the Dec. 23 general election, with the first weekend being set aside for advance polling. The second weekend will be election time – and one of the busiest weekends of the year, since it is Christmas season.

Before we found our pub with its “brewed” coffee, we found masses of confused people wondering what the hel_l happened. Some were tourists who had just arrived to sample Bangkok’s renowned nightlife; others were locals who had simply not heard of the booze ban.

Indeed, the mini-prohibition had either been an afterthought or, more likely, was simply kept under wraps for reasons known only to the authorities. Whatever the truth of the matter, the evidence is that even some Thai-owned establishments were only notified a day or two ahead of time, and some Christmas parties and other events had already been planned and venues booked.

Thailand, of course, is well known for its frequent alcohol bans, usually for important Buddhist holidays or the King’s birthday, but often for less comprehensible reasons.

Bans for elections are a long tradition, and apparently serve three purposes:

Sober voters theoretically make better choices in the election booth (although when the people soberly elected Thaksin Shinawatra one too many times in a landslide, the army brought the tanks out and set up their own regime).

Because most elections in the past have necessitated travel to the voter’s home province, a booze ban should reduce highway carnage.

Probably most important, the ban makes impractical, if not illegal, the “vote-buying parties” for which Thailand is infamous.

That’s the theory. The practice is something else.

The most obvious objection to the way election-time alcohol bans are carried out is that they target precisely the wrong people: tourists and expatriates, who can’t vote anyhow. Thais, of course, simply ignore the bans; as do most expatriates, but the authorities typically make life difficult by forcing bars that cater to foreigners to obey the edict while blatantly ignoring – even patronizing – those that cater to Thais. As for tourists, most are unaware that the probability of their actually being penalized for ignoring the ban is extremely low, and they don’t know the venues that practice business as usual (albeit with “coffee” or other ploys).

The HuaHinAfterDark.com Internet forum in Hua Hin, the eponymouos city on the Gulf of Thailand popular with long-term expatriates, was burning up this past weekend with complaints about the ban – and the duplicity of allowing Thai bars to stay open while expat hangouts were watched more carefully.

Numerous posts noted the ease with which anyone – foreigners included – could access a favorite beverage if necessary, but many said that wasn’t the point. For Thais, flouting the law is a national sport. Foreigners, typically from Europe or North America, are generally law-abiding by upbringing, if not by nature.

Not only that, expatriates are upset by what they see as inane governance that can only damage the economy. Slapdash lawmaking gets even further up expatriate noses when it is seen as targeting them or their livelihoods. Many are in the tourism or entertainment trade, and most support Thai families.

“Had a bottle or two of Chang at our favorite watering hole today. Just 50 meters away from a polling station and out in the sticks. It was business as usual. No question of hiding the bottles or drinking out of mugs,” wrote one poster: “Sadly, the crazy ‘laws’ (and I use that term loosely) seem to only affect the farang-run bars, which are, from what I hear, really suffering from the lack of tourists this year.

“Come on, Thailand! We've had the tsunami, a military coup and some murders – which are all reported in the tabloids in the west. And now holidaymakers are denied alcoholic drinks because of a (another loose term) ‘democratic’ election. Great news for the tourism industry! I feel sorry for the unaware tourists who have booked the Christmas holiday period here.”

“Isn't it about time the farangs had some kind of proper representation in this country? We pay taxes, can’t vote, can’t buy land, can’t work even for free, can’t take up a hobby without a work permit — it would drive you to drink (sorry, can’ t drink!).”

The forum moderator replied: “Amen to that – can’t see it happening for a long time, though, the powers that be simply don’t like us. They tolerate us but they don’t like us. A good example is the alcohol crackdown on farang bars only, while the Thai-cop-run karaoke places are partying like there’s no tomorrow – all laughing at the stupid farangs that aren’t allowed to drink!”

A lot of confusion about this in previous posts. Here's the deal:

Our Correspondent - Asia Sentinel -

18 December 2007

The Kingdom goes dry – well, semi-dry – in advance of elections.

During one of the year’s heaviest tourist seasons, Thailand’s military-backed government has banned alcohol sales for two consecutive election weekends. This could seem to be very bad news for thirsty non-voting expatriates, but life has a way of working out.

“Man, that’s coffee,” observed the live entertainment, a soulful American keyboardist, as he savored the contents of a mug at his side. The dozen or so customers in the pub, whose tables also had coffee mugs rather than the beer bottles or cocktail glasses one would normally see here on a Friday night, seemed to agree.

“Kafae ni mai rawn” (this coffee is cold) I had pointed out to the comely waitress when my own mug arrived, and she politely giggled at my lame attempt at humor. Icy cold, in fact, and tasting rather like a certain Singaporean brew made with hops and named after a striped cat. My companion, meanwhile, reported that his “coffee” had the distinct bouquet of Jack Daniels.

Later, a cruise through the Soi Cowboy area found the normally bustling strip of go-go bars much quieter than normal on a Friday evening. Most had opted to stay open with large signs out front proclaiming that only soft drinks and the like were available, but at least one chain of bars shut down all of its venues. Thailand’s other great economic driver, the sex industry, seemed thrown for a loop.

Except for the so-called Dark Age of a couple of years ago, during the morality crackdown under then-prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and the governor of Bangkok, the girlie bars of Soi Cowboy and vicinity have not faced anything like a Christmas period two-weekend ban. In places that were open, a few sad-looking foreigners could be seen nursing colas and water bottles as the dancing young women gazed glumly down from their brass-poled perches – sober foreigners are just not that much fun, and their pocketbooks were more likely to stay closed.

This was our investigative experience on December 14, the first evening of the sudden and unwelcome alcohol ban in the Land of Smiles. The purported reason: the Dec. 23 general election, with the first weekend being set aside for advance polling. The second weekend will be election time – and one of the busiest weekends of the year, since it is Christmas season.

Before we found our pub with its “brewed” coffee, we found masses of confused people wondering what the hel_l happened. Some were tourists who had just arrived to sample Bangkok’s renowned nightlife; others were locals who had simply not heard of the booze ban.

Indeed, the mini-prohibition had either been an afterthought or, more likely, was simply kept under wraps for reasons known only to the authorities. Whatever the truth of the matter, the evidence is that even some Thai-owned establishments were only notified a day or two ahead of time, and some Christmas parties and other events had already been planned and venues booked.

Thailand, of course, is well known for its frequent alcohol bans, usually for important Buddhist holidays or the King’s birthday, but often for less comprehensible reasons.

Bans for elections are a long tradition, and apparently serve three purposes:

Sober voters theoretically make better choices in the election booth (although when the people soberly elected Thaksin Shinawatra one too many times in a landslide, the army brought the tanks out and set up their own regime).

Because most elections in the past have necessitated travel to the voter’s home province, a booze ban should reduce highway carnage.

Probably most important, the ban makes impractical, if not illegal, the “vote-buying parties” for which Thailand is infamous.

That’s the theory. The practice is something else.

The most obvious objection to the way election-time alcohol bans are carried out is that they target precisely the wrong people: tourists and expatriates, who can’t vote anyhow. Thais, of course, simply ignore the bans; as do most expatriates, but the authorities typically make life difficult by forcing bars that cater to foreigners to obey the edict while blatantly ignoring – even patronizing – those that cater to Thais. As for tourists, most are unaware that the probability of their actually being penalized for ignoring the ban is extremely low, and they don’t know the venues that practice business as usual (albeit with “coffee” or other ploys).

The HuaHinAfterDark.com Internet forum in Hua Hin, the eponymouos city on the Gulf of Thailand popular with long-term expatriates, was burning up this past weekend with complaints about the ban – and the duplicity of allowing Thai bars to stay open while expat hangouts were watched more carefully.

Numerous posts noted the ease with which anyone – foreigners included – could access a favorite beverage if necessary, but many said that wasn’t the point. For Thais, flouting the law is a national sport. Foreigners, typically from Europe or North America, are generally law-abiding by upbringing, if not by nature.

Not only that, expatriates are upset by what they see as inane governance that can only damage the economy. Slapdash lawmaking gets even further up expatriate noses when it is seen as targeting them or their livelihoods. Many are in the tourism or entertainment trade, and most support Thai families.

“Had a bottle or two of Chang at our favorite watering hole today. Just 50 meters away from a polling station and out in the sticks. It was business as usual. No question of hiding the bottles or drinking out of mugs,” wrote one poster: “Sadly, the crazy ‘laws’ (and I use that term loosely) seem to only affect the farang-run bars, which are, from what I hear, really suffering from the lack of tourists this year.

“Come on, Thailand! We've had the tsunami, a military coup and some murders – which are all reported in the tabloids in the west. And now holidaymakers are denied alcoholic drinks because of a (another loose term) ‘democratic’ election. Great news for the tourism industry! I feel sorry for the unaware tourists who have booked the Christmas holiday period here.”

“Isn't it about time the farangs had some kind of proper representation in this country? We pay taxes, can’t vote, can’t buy land, can’t work even for free, can’t take up a hobby without a work permit — it would drive you to drink (sorry, can’ t drink!).”

The forum moderator replied: “Amen to that – can’t see it happening for a long time, though, the powers that be simply don’t like us. They tolerate us but they don’t like us. A good example is the alcohol crackdown on farang bars only, while the Thai-cop-run karaoke places are partying like there’s no tomorrow – all laughing at the stupid farangs that aren’t allowed to drink!”

Stupid farangs, I agree.

What has happened that people now MUST drink in bars, pubs etc.

Getta supply in, make a party and BBQ at home.

Get a life guys and gals, make ya own entrtainment.

I am a farang, but the whinging going on over the DRY weekends, pshaawwwwww.

I do agree with the fact that farangs are virtually divorced form life in Thailand, regarding work, and rights etc.

Suk 22 had a couple of places selling as did suk 8

On 'dry' days there are inevitably always a few places left alone and allowed to sell alcohol. They are either owned by the police or there has been some agreement between the bar and the police on what percentage the latter should get for the privilege of staying open.

Business is business.

Not been out for a few weeks, so I decided to go out yesterday.

Went to a place in Chatujak area. A Thai place, with a band playing all night.

Lots of people.

The drinks (beer, wiskey, etc) was served all night.

They poored the beer into glasses behind the counter, so no bottles on the tables.

The wiskey was brought out (again from behind the counter) in a regular glass, and then poored into the drinks.

At midnight all bottles on the tables.

Have to adimit I am impressed about peoples creativity when it come to bend rules, as this is as far as I understand, not the only way the various bars did it.

I LOVE Thailand!!!! hehehehehe (I really do...)

On Christmas Eve on my BKK street, a big falang owned pub was busily serving everything (beer, mixed drinks, wine, etc) all night long -- but only inside. They couldn't /wouldn't serve outside on their patio until after midnight.

The local Thai street/lady bar nearby likewise was openly serving all night.

Directly across the street, the local 7-11 had their alcohol coolers closed all night with big signs in Thai.

OK..so...I was confused before... But now...I understand about this perfectly well!!!! :o:D:D

Glad no one tried to buy my vote with inducements of liquor!!!

I LOVE Thailand!!!! hehehehehe (I really do...)

On Christmas Eve on my BKK street, a big falang owned pub was busily serving everything (beer, mixed drinks, wine, etc) all night long -- but only inside. They couldn't /wouldn't serve outside on their patio until after midnight.

Everywhere was allowed to sell alcohol on Christmas Eve....