Bangkok To Samui (surrathani) By Train

GetBackJoJo

Hi All

I guess i should be posting this in the travel section; i figure its Bangkok related though, kinda.

Im hopping on the train to Samui next Sunday evening. All flights are full and this is my only option. Im looking forward to it actualy, something different. I have just been on a website that shows the train times, and im confused..... there are Standard, Rapid and Express trains going at various times and also various different trains (some with 1 class, 1 and 2 class, and 1 2 and 3 class).

Can anyone point me in the right direction please? I simply want to jump on the best train that gets there the quickest, in comfort. I looked at 1st class, but as ill be going on my own i dont want to be lumped into a private cabin with a stranger, so i figure second class sleeper with fan is the best option?

If anyone has done this recently - could you let me know the best train and train time to jump on for 2nd class sleeper in order to get to surrathani in the morning?

Also - the train will have a bar, right?

You can umm.... lean out of the window and have a smoke?

The sleeper cars - i read that they are all locked up late evening, so you are confined to your car preventing you from mooching about (having a smoke, leaning out of the window etc) Is that true?

Possible to book combi tickets that take you all the way to samui?

I live a couple hours out of Bangkok..... will i have to go BKK station a few days before to get my ticket, or can i buy remotley?

Many kind thanks and sorry for the boring post.

GBJJ

Edited by GetBackJoJo

...Its a very nice journey by train, but its been a while since I went to surathani.I also do not know how reliable things are now or if they run less trains during public holidays which happened to me once.I used to do a lot of traveling by rail but the problem was that timetables would be changed quite often,....sorry I not really help you on this.

You can buy train tickets at many of the travel agents around BKK. Express makes the least stops so will get there the quickest. Look at the timetables for departure-arrival and work it out. I've taken 2nd class sleeper aircon to Chiang Mai and it was fine, same trains I believe. I like the top bunk, valium helps!

Samui is an Island. I think you'll have to get a minivan or taxi from Surat to Donsak ferry terminal.

Took the first class sleeper to Trang from BKK. I slept like a baby. Actually, I'd prefer the fan in 2nd class than the ac in 1st. Yep, that's the way to go. But make sure you buy/reserve your tix early. Those sleepers sell out quickly.

As posted above, sleepers sell out VERY quickly, might wanna check at www.railway.co.th if anything is available for next weekend before you make the trip to BKK for tickets.

The train doesn't really have a bar, just a counter selling some snacks and no seating or tables that I can recall...the aircon sleeper compartment is locked up at night and the windows are not openable, so no smoking...

Hi All

If anyone has done this recently - could you let me know the best train and train time to jump on for 2nd class sleeper in order to get to surrathani in the morning?

Also - the train will have a bar, right?

GBJJ

it's been a while since i took the train, but i don't think it would have changed too much.

in first class, there are two beds (bunks), so if the train is full, you have a stranger in with you. i think they don't put women with men, though. when i took it, i got stuck with a thai woman and her daughter, she talked on her phone all night, and then talked to her daughter very early in the morning -- i didn't get any sleep!

frankly, unless you are going with a friend and can have a cabin to yourselves, i think first class sucks on the train. it's boring.

for the times, just take anything that leaves at night and arrives in the morning: there are a few, i think. just don't pick something that arrives at 4 am, or some ridiculous time, and you'll be ok. i book my tickets at samsen station in bkk, as there is a clerk who speaks english and there's no wait.

second class, aircon or fan is fine. bring a sweater if you take aircon as it can get cold. the bottom bed in 2nd class costs more as it is bigger and more comfortable. the top is cheaper, and the little curtain doesn't keep out the light enough, so you have light shining in your face all night.

don't take 3rd class.

you can often get a travel agent to buy the ticket for you, they'll charge you a fee -- i don't know of any other way to book it remotely, make sure you see the actual physical ticket, so you know you're getting the class that you paid for.

I've never been on a train in Thailand with bar, but you can bring your own drinks onto the train, no prob. They also serve food, which isn't bad, all things considered, and costs about 100B. you can also bring you own food, and on some trains, they let vendors on to sell things at the station.

you can't smoke, even in the fan train, but you can grab a smoke in between the cars.

oh yeah, there are cockroaches on the train (not lots, but a few), and the toilets are GROSS, bring TP.

all in all, though, i enjoy taking the trian in thailand.

hope this helps!

Edited by canadiangirl