Insight About Jobmarket In Thailand For Experienced Foreign Mba

If you want "entrepeneur" in a dynamic market try India, China or Vietnam - forget about Thailand or Malaysia

Look at the Forbes rich list for each country and an article by a Bloomberg journo called Andy Mukerhjee - private enterprise not fdoing anything in THailand compared to elsewhere - no new entrepeneurs appearing on the monely lists - just more and more of the olf families and only 2 Thai companies seen as half decent CP and Thai Union Food

The "Asia Expert" is an interesting notion as well

I have just completed a wide rangeing survey about the systems we use across Asia and the answers are amusing and interesting. Next time I will not be giving the option of neutral on a Likert Scale though

I have discussed how we will handle the neutral answers and the Asians (mostly Chinese ones) said assume the neutral means not good. The African said it should not be in. My boss who is from the PI said remove them all????

Its all this Kreng Jai malarkey and Confucian avoiding conflict.

The Japanese do what is good for the group and even copied word for word in the area's for free text freedback.

Ayn Rand - The Fountainhead it is not!

Very interesting Prakanong.

I agree that there are big differences among Asians. Even at my current job doing multicultural market research in the US I encounter those challenges when dealing with numerous Asian American groups, especially US born vs. immigrant.

I lived in Japan, some time in Korea and have dealt with South and South East Asians and its so interesting how they deal with certain situations. The Japanese concept of Honne and Tatemae, seniority issues, confucian influence, etc. they make doing busuiness difficult but also tremendously interesting.

Its those little things that also attract me to being in Asia, maybe its just me, but growing up in a small town in Germany I did not have any exposure to all that. However, after interacting with more Asians during my studies and time in Asia I have learned valuable things about the different cultural aspects, but still so much to learn.

Anyway, keep in touch

H.

Have a look at the INSEAD Marketing Case Study about De Beers and marketing diamonds in Asia if you have not already seen it. It caused a very lively discussion in my MBA Marketing class here in Singapore between the Asian women and men - we Ang Moh's lit the blue touch paper and retreated :o

Interesting you were in Japan and Korea - my good pal I went to Uni with was posted to both of those places as a British Diplomat then ran the UK Exports to Japan Unit at the DTI - he is now a Deputy Ambassador to Serbia.

If you want "entrepeneur" in a dynamic market try India, China or Vietnam - forget about Thailand or Malaysia

Look at the Forbes rich list for each country and an article by a Bloomberg journo called Andy Mukerhjee - private enterprise not fdoing anything in THailand compared to elsewhere - no new entrepeneurs appearing on the monely lists - just more and more of the olf families and only 2 Thai companies seen as half decent CP and Thai Union Food

The "Asia Expert" is an interesting notion as well

I have just completed a wide rangeing survey about the systems we use across Asia and the answers are amusing and interesting. Next time I will not be giving the option of neutral on a Likert Scale though

I have discussed how we will handle the neutral answers and the Asians (mostly Chinese ones) said assume the neutral means not good. The African said it should not be in. My boss who is from the PI said remove them all????

Its all this Kreng Jai malarkey and Confucian avoiding conflict.

The Japanese do what is good for the group and even copied word for word in the area's for free text freedback.

Ayn Rand - The Fountainhead it is not!

Very interesting Prakanong.

I agree that there are big differences among Asians. Even at my current job doing multicultural market research in the US I encounter those challenges when dealing with numerous Asian American groups, especially US born vs. immigrant.

I lived in Japan, some time in Korea and have dealt with South and South East Asians and its so interesting how they deal with certain situations. The Japanese concept of Honne and Tatemae, seniority issues, confucian influence, etc. they make doing busuiness difficult but also tremendously interesting.

Its those little things that also attract me to being in Asia, maybe its just me, but growing up in a small town in Germany I did not have any exposure to all that. However, after interacting with more Asians during my studies and time in Asia I have learned valuable things about the different cultural aspects, but still so much to learn.

Anyway, keep in touch

H.

Have a look at the INSEAD Marketing Case Study about De Beers and marketing diamonds in Asia if you have not already seen it. It caused a very lively discussion in my MBA Marketing class here in Singapore between the Asian women and men - we Ang Moh's lit the blue touch paper and retreated :o

Interesting you were in Japan and Korea - my good pal I went to Uni with was posted to both of those places as a British Diplomat then ran the UK Exports to Japan Unit at the DTI - he is now a Deputy Ambassador to Serbia.

Interesting, the concept of spending 3 times your salary on the diamond. As guys we can't win that conversation with women. What I find very interesting is the obsession with LV, Gucci etc. handbags in some Asian countries as well. The way i was raised those are reserved for the rich, but in Japan for example teachers, secretaries and even students have various of them. In a Tokyo study over 90% of women between 20-30 had at least one of those items.

Other issues that make marketing in Asia more challenging are the little things like symbolism of colors, numbers, etc. Some companies have messed up by not taking into consideration those things.

I could go on and on with this, used to have hour long discussions with my Asian friends on why they buy what they buy etc., very interesting stuff.

Insead, great school you are doing your MBA at. I hope in the future to take some courses at one of those top schools, great for networking as well.

H.

Email me one of these days. Would love to talk more

I am not doing my MBA as INSEAD - 180,000 SGD???

We just use various case studies - I am at a British Uni but doing it in Singapore - this is MBA city with at least 30 on offer from Singapore, US. AUS, British and european institutions.

I know what you mean by the bags - in Singapore you see a lot of it too. Its just announced today that LV is doubling its stores space in Takeshimya on Orchard Road

My pal the Diplomat had a Japanese girl as his first wife - she had so many Gucci and other brand name bags it was incredible. Her Dad was very senior with Shell Japan (MD and President) and he used to but the females in his family bags from business trips.

PS is that 3 times your yearly salary or monthly?

Its not that long ago the adverts in the UK were about a months salary.

Edited by Prakanong

We just use various case studies - I am at a British Uni but doing it in Singapore - this is MBA city with at least 30 on offer from Singapore, US. AUS, British and european institutions.

I know what you mean by the bags - in Singapore you see a lot of it too. Its just announced today that LV is doubling its stores space in Takeshimya on Orchard Road

My pal the Diplomat had a Japanese girl as his first wife - she had so many Gucci and other brand name bags it was incredible. Her Dad was very senior with Shell Japan (MD and President) and he used to but the females in his family bags from business trips.

IC, yes its crazy the price for that MBA. About the diamonds its monthly, thank god or I will never get married, lol.

IC, yes its crazy the price for that MBA. About the diamonds its monthly, thank god or I will never get married, lol.

I just got an email this morning saying my company will give me 10,000 SGD towards my MBA so there is my holiday money next week ;-))

My Thai ex used to say to me when I worked in Belgium, "Belgium famous for three things, why I only get two?"

She meant Beer, Chocolate and Diamonds - guess which two she got :o

• 2 weeks later...

I just got an email this morning saying my company will give me 10,000 SGD towards my MBA so there is my holiday money next week ;-))

My Thai ex used to say to me when I worked in Belgium, "Belgium famous for three things, why I only get two?"

She meant Beer, Chocolate and Diamonds - guess which two she got :o

Happy New Year to everybody here. Great forum!!!

H.