Finally Clamping Down (slightly) On The 30-dayers

I've been hearing rumors about the impending crackdown on 30 day visa walkers for so long that I, like most people, simply assumed it was nonesnese.

Well, finally something does seem to be happening. I just returned from Mae Sai two days ago. For the first time the immigrtion officer kindly asked me to give him a copy of my passport and told me, to my considerable astonishment, that next month - my third CONSECUTIVE month - I would be required to show "proof of money". He said at least 20,000 Bhat, which is a very small amount. He completely volunteered this piece of information - I did not ask him anything.

He was very vague about the details of how I can show the money, in what form, and I didn't want to press him in any way. He was very friendly and nice, and he did say one good thing, that if I went to another country it would be no problem.

I have been doing 30 day visa walks for around 13 months now, nearly all of them in Mae Sai, but I have been out of the country twice for a period of one month each time. Next month will be my third consecutive time since last trip out of the country. My passport is plastered with visa stamps, all boldly displaying the words "walk". I cringe every time the immigration officer flips through it.

Has anyone else experinced anything like this in Mae Sai or anywhere else? I can easily show proof of 20 thou from a foreign bank account, but I'm off to Laos next month just in case.

Anywyas, something finally does seem to be happening, and more or less in ine with the rumors on ThaiVisa. Go figure.

I've been hearing rumors about the impending crackdown on 30 day visa walkers for so long that I, like most people, simply assumed it was nonesnese.

Well, finally something does seem to be happening. I just returned from Mae Sai two days ago. For the first time the immigrtion officer kindly asked me to give him a copy of my passport and told me, to my considerable astonishment, that next month - my third CONSECUTIVE month - I would be required to show "proof of money". He said at least 20,000 Bhat, which is a very small amount. He completely volunteered this piece of information - I did not ask him anything.

He was very vague about the details of how I can show the money, in what form, and I didn't want to press him in any way. He was very friendly and nice, and he did say one good thing, that if I went to another country it would be no problem.

I have been doing 30 day visa walks for around 13 months now, nearly all of them in Mae Sai, but I have been out of the country twice for a period of one month each time. Next month will be my third consecutive time since last trip out of the country. My passport is plastered with visa stamps, all boldly displaying the words "walk". I cringe every time the immigration officer flips through it.

Has anyone else experinced anything like this in Mae Sai or anywhere else? I can easily show proof of 20 thou from a foreign bank account, but I'm off to Laos next month just in case.

Anywyas, something finally does seem to be happening, and more or less in ine with the rumors on ThaiVisa. Go figure.

Like the guy said, go to another country or something. Use your imagination and mix it up a little bit instead of the constant walking at Mae Sai. You could be a drug runner for all immigration knows. I would hardly call this alarm bells going off.

Think about it. many visa rules are made and then strictly enforced and then there seems to be a loophole. What would have been the sense to make the rules in the first place. It has been coming a long time and will get tougher in the future.

I say if you are a tourist great, if not than get the right visa. It's not that hard to get the paperwork together. I have been doing it for 5 years without any problems or difficulty. :o

Think about it. many visa rules are made and then strictly enforced and then there seems to be a loophole. What would have been the sense to make the rules in the first place. It has been coming a long time and will get tougher in the future.

I say if you are a tourist great, if not than get the right visa. It's not that hard to get the paperwork together. I have been doing it for 5 years without any problems or difficulty. :o

Some people retire at 45 and don't want to shell out 3 million baht into a thai investment or they don't have the cash to shell. They may have pension income far exceeding the retirement qualification but for 1 reason or another don't have the lump sum. In such a case, that person simply does not meet the age requirement but has easily the means to support onself. So what you say is that getting the "proper visa" is a piece of cake. Sorry but not for said person. I believe that Thailand accomodates a person in this situation through tourist visas and/or visa running. I see no evidence of any change. I hear a great deal of talk and rumor along with occasional questioning by immigration and embassy personel but nothing indicating that these people better get "proper, ez to get visas" or else. It may be easy for some to get but others must do it this way and will continue w/o problem I assure you.

For the first time the immigrtion officer kindly asked me to give him a copy of my passport and told me, to my considerable astonishment, that next month - my third CONSECUTIVE month - I would be required to show "proof of money". He said at least 20,000 Bhat, which is a very small amount.

Having been warned, I'm sure that you don't want to be the guinea pig that tests the waters but it would be interesting to see what, if anything, would actually happen if you passed through the border at Mae Sai again in thirty days time.

I agree with unbiasbob. I'm 46 and have been in Thailand for a little over 6 years. Have survived on a few double entry tourist visas from Penang, but in the main, 30 dayers from Ranong.

I'm not old enough to qualify for a retirement visa, although I have more than enough monthly income to support myself here by renting my property in London. Could also have the lump sum, but don't feel like selling yet.

Was back briefly last year in the UK and got a multiple entry Non O from Hull with no hassle at all. Never asked for proof of income, just a letter of guarantee from someone that they would cover the cost of repatriation if necessary.

Friends have been going to Ranong every month for years and are still not getting any problems.

Personally, whenever I do a visa run, I travel with 3 months up-to-date bank statements from the UK to demonstrate income if necessary. I've never been asked to do so.

For the first time the immigrtion officer kindly asked me to give him a copy of my passport and told me, to my considerable astonishment, that next month - my third CONSECUTIVE month - I would be required to show "proof of money". He said at least 20,000 Bhat, which is a very small amount. He completely volunteered this piece of information - I did not ask him anything.

Panic. Panic. Time for everyone to pack their bags. :D:o

Seriously. So far i've had a consecutive:

30 days on arrival

7 days extension

60 days visa

30 days extension

60 days visa

And was just granted another 30 days extension again. I do plan on getting my work permit and company papers ready on the next visa run, but who knows. I was planning on doing that two months ago but then so much work came up. Sigh. I always brought all my bank statements, since i transfer about 150,000 baht over every month, in several wires per month. But i was never asked for anything.

• 2 weeks later...

hokay i am a newby and this is my first post here at the forums but i am not a troll! Now you all believe me :o i will continue. I have first hand experience of cracking down syndrome. I Returned from Loas yesterday after renewing my 60 day tourist visa, i have been a regular in Thailand for the last 15 years wintering here 4-5 months every year and the tourist visa has been all i have ever needed. I returned here in August 03 with a healthier bank account till present day and have been doing much the same thing, a multi 60 dayer from penang and singles from Loas. I do not have the funds to meet the non imm. requirements and my local office in Kanchanaburi whom i have known very well for many years and have always been most helpful were quite sure that as long as i was not working, which they know to be true i could keep on a tourist visa indef. This i checked very recently as i had heard rumours. Upon applying for a visa this trip i was informed that they would allow me this one but would not supply me with any more. I offered them atm reciepts, i offered to bring in bank statements from my Uk bank. I have ample funds to support myself under the tourist visa time frame and will have for a while yet. All of the above offerings were rejected, i was told i would have to apply for a non imm. I can't as i dont meet the rquirements and i will be buggered if i am marrying to make it easier, not the right reasons in my books! I have been here just over a year, and when the funds dry i will return to UK but i would have to assume that cracking down IS happening. Any other non troll info appriciated.

hokay i am a newby and this is my first post here at the forums but i am not a troll! Now you all believe me :o i will continue. I have first hand experience of cracking down syndrome. I Returned from Loas yesterday after renewing my 60 day tourist visa, i have been a regular in Thailand for the last 15 years wintering here 4-5 months every year and the tourist visa has been all i have ever needed. I returned here in August 03 with a healthier bank account till present day and have been doing much the same thing, a multi 60 dayer from penang and singles from Loas. I do not have the funds to meet the non imm. requirements and my local office in Kanchanaburi whom i have known very well for many years and have always been most helpful were quite sure that as long as i was not working, which they know to be true i could keep on a tourist visa indef. This i checked very recently as i had heard rumours. Upon applying for a visa this trip i was informed that they would allow me this one but would not supply me with any more. I offered them atm reciepts, i offered to bring in bank statements from my Uk bank. I have ample funds to support myself under the tourist visa time frame and will have for a while yet. All of the above offerings were rejected, i was told i would have to apply for a non imm. I can't as i dont meet the rquirements and i will be buggered if i am marrying to make it easier, not the right reasons in my books! I have been here just over a year, and when the funds dry i will return to UK but i would have to assume that cracking down IS happening. Any other non troll info appriciated.

I agree with you on the marriage trip. Are you 50 or older?

i am 38 so a weee while before 50. Its a pity i love Thailand, 15 years of great times here, i have many Thai friends and i have a good understanding of Thai culture and its people, if i had lots of cash i am welcome if i love the country but not rich bye bye. I appreciate all countrys need to have laws even flexy corrupt ones at times but i feel indervidual situations should be taking into account. I can stay but it seems i will have to become an English teacher to do so as working here seems to be a very diificult option other than teaching, at least in kanchanaburi as there really is no other work that would get me a work permit. It is something i have been avoiding for many years, i don't really want to be an English teacher, nothing against it as a living but not my cup of tea. The other option is to move to Loas which is a lovely place, and i find the people even nicer than the Thai, well it is Thailand 10-15 years ago in its peoples attitude towards visiting farrang. I am led to believe that working there gives you many more options than in Thailand (any info appreciated there) ahh well. Amazing Thailand!

Bitter but not twisted.... :o

I can confirm what Boatabike has said and this probably deserves its own thread. It seems TOURIST VISA runs are over in Laos. I went to Laos for a back to back tourist visa and was told "this is your last one, new rule". The person in line after me was told the same. I have been doing tourist visa runs mainly in Vientiane for a few years as smooth as can be until this time. I am in the country legally and spend a million baht a year withdrawn from the US with documentation to prove it, but they did not care. They mumbled something about a type O and 800K baht, but I am a long way from 40, let alone 50. I don't know what I will do now.

I can confirm what Boatabike has said and this probably deserves its own thread. It seems TOURIST VISA runs are over in Laos. I went to Laos for a back to back tourist visa and was told "this is your last one, new rule". The person in line after me was told the same. I have been doing tourist visa runs mainly in Vientiane for a few years as smooth as can be until this time. I am in the country legally and spend a million baht a year withdrawn from the US with documentation to prove it, but they did not care. They mumbled something about a type O and 800K baht, but I am a long way from 40, let alone 50. I don't know what I will do now.

Well this is Thailand. Go and try 'em for the non-immigrant O next time. You just never know your luck. It is only rumor, but there's talk of some age relaxation for early retiree's. Time will tell.

You probably catched them on a bad day. A friend of mine returned from Vientiane yesterday and he got a double entry (!) tourist visa with no problems - and has two dozen already stamped in the same passport, all back-to-back.

What do you mean by Tourist Visa runs?

1. Utilitising the second entry of a Double Entry Tourist Visa.

2. Asking for a 30 Entry permit on arrival.

For the first you should have no problem.

For the second, don't you think you are abusing the system?

These permits are for short stay visitors, to save the hassle of applying to

an embassy ot consulate.

They are not intended to be used over and over again.

It is probably time that the Immigration clamped down.

As you say you are spending 1m baht a year why don't you plan a bi yearly trip to Penang and get a Double Entry Tourist Visa, each time.

Then you will not have any problems.

According to the Thai Immigration Site there is no limit to how many times you may enter Thailand in this way!!

For the first you should have no problem.

For the second, don't you think you are abusing the system?

These permits are for short stay visitors, to save the hassle of applying to

an embassy ot consulate.

They are not intended to be used over and over again.

It is probably time that the Immigration clamped down.

As you say you are spending 1m baht a year why don't you plan a bi yearly trip to Penang and get a Double Entry Tourist Visa, each time.

According to the Thai Immigration Site there is no limit to how many times you may enter Thailand in this way!!

The non compliers are usually not too bright Astral. Logic is something that is missing in their makeup.

Neither--I am talking about applying for a 60 day tourist visa at the consulate. There is a new thread on this, perhaps move discussion there would be better.

The info posted on thaiimmigration.com is at best outdated. I was prepared with ample evidence of very generous funds transferred and spent in Thailand during my stay. It has never been asked for so I presented it, but it was ignored.

If Penang issues double entry type, that would be great. Elsewhere I've been have stated they issue single entry only. Now though have to wonder if my passport is earmarked for no more tourist visa's by Vientiane however.