Ceramic Heat Resistant Bricks

miltonbentley

sounds like you are searching for fire bricks. If so try going to local kilns. They may be able to direct you where to get them

That's the ones. I'm on a project to design a kiln and will check at the office where we are getting our bricks (fire bricks) from.

Most brick suppliers stock them. I purchased mine from a place a few hundred yards south of Lotus on the Hang Dong Road, same side of the road as Lotus.

The fireproof cement/concrete can be ordered from the big building supply place on the opposite side of the road just before the airport runway.

For insulation if you need it, vermiculite can be found in Khamtieng Market at the hydroponics suppliers.

Ah, the Tuskers pizza oven project has moved to the fore.....

I would like mine Italian thin crust, a la Napoli, bufalo mozzarella, double anchovies with brine cured dried black olives.

Make it an XXL, to match my ever-expanding waistline..... :o

For a Tandoor, the best thing, by far, to use is one of the old fashioned, LARGE, water jars. Set half in the ground and surround with a brick wall. Fill the gap with vermiculite insulation and top off with a flat concrete slab. Works brilliantly.

For a Tandoor, the best thing, by far, to use is one of the old fashioned, LARGE, water jars. Set half in the ground and surround with a brick wall. Fill the gap with vermiculite insulation and top off with a flat concrete slab. Works brilliantly.

What is your suggestion for heat source? Gas pipe formed into a spiral? Wood fire in the bottom? Go really traditional and find a source of cow/buffalo chips?

CB

What is your suggestion for heat source? Gas pipe formed into a spiral? Wood fire in the bottom? Go really traditional and find a source of cow/buffalo chips?

CB

See Tiger Beer now everyone wants to build a tandoor :o

I wondered about heat source myself - just a fire in the bottom P1P?

CB

Coal?

CB

Coal?

I know that traditionally charcoal is used which makes it an easy fuel source here as well but most modern ones use a gas fire. I was just curious what p1p would suggest. I did a little bit of research on this and this is some information which may be of use:

Material Used - Material used is plastic clay (without sand) mixed with munj (a kind of grass).

Modeling Method of making Tandoors

Step I: Once the clay is ready for use, slabs about 120-150 mm wide, 500-600 mm long and 20-30 mm thick, are made. Some dry clay is sieved on to these and then they are rolled into cylinders. These cylinders are then unrolled into a sort of semi-circle. Two or three such unrolled cylinders are molded together into a circle. This circle forms the base of the clay oven.

Step II: After the base is made, the uppermost part of this ring is pinched at intervals to create little notches. It is then left to dry overnight so that it becomes hard and ready to receive the weight of the next ring.

Step III: When the clay has dried to the correct hardness, another ring is fused on top of this ring. This smooth and wet clay ring fits on top of the earlier ring, especially where the notches have been pinched. This is designed to give the clay oven firmness and stability. Subsequent sections are then added until the required height is attained.

Step IV: This involves the shaping of the last section on top, widely known in the international segment as 'The Mouth' which is turned in wards by hand and shaped like the upper part of a pitcher. A lot of buyers overseas have asked me weather a turning machine "like those in wood working' is used to make these mouths.

Step V: The last step before the clay pots are dired in the open air is to lock the rim around the mouth with a tensile steel belt using the tensioning mechanism. To further increase the strength of the clay pot specially made jute wrapping is applied on the outside. This helps in the wear and tear of the clay pot while packing or fitting.

The clay oven is now complete but it is still not a complete Tandoor till it is fitted in the earth or a metal container or even in a counter at a restaurant & treated by the head chef 'Tandooria'

To be honest I am fairly sure that using P1p's suggestion of a large water urn would be fine. Light the charcoal and when burning place in the bottom of the urn. Put the chicken on a long metal rod with hooks and leave to cook. Apparently the cooking zone is halfway up the pot which is why it needs to be fairly large. The bottom is where the fire source is and the heat zone is where it bells out. As the heat rises to the neck it cools and the food cooks too slowly. The meat is usually cooked on long rods with a umbrella handle that hooks over the edge of the pot not in the middle although you can lay a rod across the mouth of the pot and sling the rods off that. The food is cooked over high heat and the outside sears to keep in the moisture. The mix of herbs and spices to coat the chicken helps as well.

Cooking the naan bread is by sticking it to the inside of the clay pot and then peeling it off when cooked. Doing papadams is by waving them over the flames to let them puff.

Sounds like a bunch of Indian food freaks will be digging up the back yard this weekend

CB

get a tandoor while you are at it MB :D

I'll start digging the garden for clay this afternoon TB. Have you got a design plan or should I just wing it?

from the hole in the ground, you could lay down a hangi for us kiwi bros :o

Anyone here had chicken op fang?....authentic northern style rice farmer cuisine usually done during or right after harvest......fill a glass bottle with water, skewer the chicken over the bottle and stand the bottle upright on the ground, remove the top or bottom of one of those large almost square tins and use it to cover the chicken on the bottle, put loose straw around the tin and ignite it, slowly keep adding more rice straw slowly to keep it burning but not too hot.......after awhile the chicken is done. You can do this with strips of fatty pork too....I mean instead of the chicken stick skewers of fatty pork in the ground and cover with the tin...I didn't mean that you can use fatty pork instead of straw to cook the chicken...you can do fish too.

Chownah

Had it several times. Better to fill the bottle with water/lao khao mixture. Makes the tough chicken much more tender!

In Oz I used to cook "drunken chicken" - method is to take one cleaned chicken and one can of beer (variety is unimportant although Toohey's blue is popular because the stuff is dam_n near undrinkable but does fine for cooking. Open the can of beer and with the can still upright stick the chicken (Base down) over the can until the can is completely inside the chicken. Place the chicken in a weber or similar bbq and cook. Make sure the can and chicken is sitting upright or the effect will be lost. As the chicken cooks the beer boils and steams up inside the chicken keeping it moist and tender.

When ready to serve - take remains of hot can of beer and give it to an Englishman and tell him is an imported brew from the UK - he won't know the difference and will appreciate the gesture of friendship.

Chop up the chicken into pieces and serve with the green stuff if you have any lying in the bottom of the fridge. No one will eat the salad but apparently it adds to the aesthetic of the meal.

(Now we wait for Chuckok to come back with a spurious claim that some unknown chook cooker in New Zealand invented this method and he can bitch like a girl about how it was stolen by the Aussies just like Pavlova and Phar Lap :o)

Enjoy

CB