Our Veterinarian Is A F*%^& Fraud!

The last time our dog got shots, it got sick.

We also asked the vet for shots against ticks but for a while now our dog was still infested even though she got shots regularly, she was tick free for a while but I guess that's because we shampooed her and pinched out dozens of ticks by hand previously to visiting the vet. I then suspected he was using a cotton swab with alcohol but a syringe filled with nothing but water.

So, yesterday, I decided we should visit a different vet, a woman this time.

We asked for shots against ticks and other usual shots for common diseases.

We discussed the other vet and his ineffective shots against ticks.

She informed us he's not a veterinarian at all. He did study something that has to do with farm animals but decided he'd open his own pet shop/vet clinic and improvise as a vet. She mentioned being puzzled as to why he is allowed to run a clinic and even operate on animals. :o

Now that I think of it, I've never seen him once wear a white lab coat as others usually do.

shots against ticks?? maybe ivomac but really??

and lab coats, well, shysters can also wear lab coats (not from labradors....:o )

try looking to see if he/she has his credentials on the wall, or listed somewhere if he is a roving vet (do they ahve those in thailand? here its common for many vets to use one office in several towns and they rove from town to town on different days /schedules), like what vet school...

anyway, large animal vets can also vet dogs and cats for basic stuff, cause they also study that in the vet schools; what he may have been was a vet tech type person who is the one that just gives vaccines to large animals for goverment requirements(like cattle who get certain vaccines against diseases that can affect people)- (just guessing not sure how it works in thailand but thats how it works with us; the large animal 'vet' that gives shots is actually just a technician and we have several real vets that do small animals with extensive large animal stuff too)... just for your information

Here all the vet's that have studied at and finished their veterinary study have their certificates on the wall. Not all wear white coats.

The owner of the clinic that I always go usually does not wear a coat. The other vet's at the clinic do. I sometimes joke with him about it, as blood stains are not easy to remove from clothes. Reason why he doesn't wear his coat is that his job is now in the management of the clinic and not being a vet. But as he has studied as veterniarian and is quite skilled, he sometimes helps out when there are many clients in his clinic.

Unfortunately, there are still people out there who may have done only the first two years of veterinary school, and still practise as vet. Not the kind you want to go to.

Nienke

We also asked the vet for shots against ticks but for a while now our dog was still infested even though she got shots regularly, she was tick free for a while but I guess that's because we shampooed her and pinched out dozens of ticks by hand previously to visiting the vet. I then suspected he was using a cotton swab with alcohol but a syringe filled with nothing but water.

So, yesterday, I decided we should visit a different vet, a woman this time.

We asked for shots against ticks and other usual shots for common diseases.

We discussed the other vet and his ineffective shots against ticks.

She informed us he's not a veterinarian at all. He did study something that has to do with farm animals but decided he'd open his own pet shop/vet clinic and improvise as a vet. She mentioned being puzzled as to why he is allowed to run a clinic and even operate on animals. :o

Now that I think of it, I've never seen him once wear a white lab coat as others usually do.

l think some of the human vets,,, sorry doctors ,, are frauds as well

we have a "vet man" in the village here,,, he is quite good for advice and some injections (he knows when it is beyond his capabilities ) anything else ,, it is a 2 hour drive to Udon ,,, l have a long haired German Shepherd ,,, ticks,fleas and mange worry me heaps,, l use a "kiltix" collar on him and that seems to keep them under control for a few months and small tubes of "advocate" for the control of mange, mites, fleas and internal worms plus washing him twice a week ,,, but he still has the occasional problem

cheers

My wife couldn't translate the term used by the legitimate veterinarian yesterday when she refered to his certification.

The "fraud vet" is certified in animal husbandry, also called animal science, stock breeding or simple husbandry, is the agricultural practice of breeding and raising livestock. Still, he spays, neuters, operates, injects.

I wonder what Bambina would think of this?

what i said: a vet tech; in israel also they can vaccinate, neuter, spay and inject but does not diagnose or deal with most other things; we have one of these for our livestock, he is listed as a doc. technician of vet. med. but his job is gov't injections and basic care of livestock (which is what most of us need ); a large animal or small animal vet does the rest of the stuff (operations that arent neutering/castration- since in large animals most people neuter their own livestock- except for equines).

in the majority of the (third and second) world that is what is practiced: small farmers (usually cash poor) do not put lots of money in their livestock, they mostly need vaccines, and self medicate anything else.... if the animal were to need more treatment, the animal is 'culled' (slaughtered or euthenized).

i dont know what goes on in europe/america although i suspect that is how it used to be 'way back when'....

nowadays small pet veterinary is a lucrative business since people are more willing to put money into a pet (like their child) rather then in to an 'expendible' animal that would be sold for meat.

look at it this way: i had a jenny donkey with colic. it cost me three thousand shekels and a week of intensive care by me all hours of the day and night. she pulled through. the price of a donkey in israel is about 150shekels if she/he works. if not, expendable. most people,even 'enlightened' pet owners, could not understand why i would waste my money on her. not cost effective. the govt. vet tech gives vaccines for 5 shekels a head/rabies, hoof and mouth etc. ; i always add on several vaccines that are not required but useful and those i pay full price. howeevr, my vet doctor is not allowed to give me those vaccines. only the govt. vet tech guy.

so there u have it...

btw, u dont have to be a vet to castrate horses/steers/lambs/goats -- any livestock manager does his own., same as injections. i do most of my own, and self treat. the vet doc is for emergencies out of my knowledge or capability.

he is not a fraud unless u asked him to take care of cancer/or other illnesses.

as for ineffective shots for ticks; i think u mean he injected ivomac which is not that good against ticks really. its more used for scabies (mange) which is prevalant in thailand and other internal parasites. (and u can buy and give it yourself by mouth also). ivomectic, cydommectin etc.... and ivomac lasts about two weeks to a month for ticks if at all (we use it every 14 days on rabbits/every six months on the goats/every three months oral on the donkey, plus tick/fly sprays)

bina

petting zoo israel

First of all, I want to inform you about the difference of registered IVM (Ivomec) and local IVM (Imec ?? or whatsoever it's called..not sure)

1) package

Ivomec - in plastic bottle (varie shapes from 50cc, 100 cc and 200 cc)

Ivomec.gifps_ivomec_f_02.jpg

Imec - in amber vial

ps_000033.jpgIvermectin-Injection-2-small.jpg

2) the liquid

Ivomec - more thick and warm when it drops on your skin. Because of thickeness, you have to use needle gauge 21(green)

Imec - watery , so u can use a needle gauge 23 (blue)

I do not have any experience with local IVM anyway.

Secondy, I want to talk about the half life of IVM (t 1/2) which is about 2 days .The T1/2 for ivermectin in dogs is 2 days so that means that the amount of ivermectin in the dog's system is cut in half every 2 days. It means the effect of IVM is degraded by metabolism so you may find ticks on your dogs after the treatment. Basically, ticks and eggs are in invironment as your floor or lawn so if you want to get rid ticks you have to do both of animal's body and environment.

About the faked vet, I have heard there are many places that have this kind of so-called vet in TH.

I rarely wear a gawn :o

Edited by BambinA

My wife couldn't translate the term used by the legitimate veterinarian yesterday when she refered to his certification.

The "fraud vet" is certified in animal husbandry, also called animal science, stock breeding or simple husbandry, is the agricultural practice of breeding and raising livestock. Still, he spays, neuters, operates, injects.

I wonder what Bambina would think of this?

There are 2 kind of certificates

1 )ผู้ประกอบการบำบัดโรคสัตว์ ชั้นหนึ่ง (first class) : a vet who has D.V.M. degree (Doctor of Veterinary medicine)

1Gor หนึ่ง(ก) - Thai Nationality

1Khorหนึ่ง(ค) -Non Thai Nationality

2 )ผู้ประกอบวิชาชีพการสัตวแพทย์ชั้นสอง (second class)

2Gor สอง(ก) - got bachelor degree in animal science or husbandary

2Kor สอง(ข) - got diploma

FOR the SECOND CLASS :- There is illegal if they do some things follow by these.

1) Using edoscope

2 ) Diagnosis and treament by using radiography or ultrasound

3) Intravenous route of administration (IV)

4) Using controlled medicines

5) Using some addicted medicine for treatment (as ketamine)

6) Blood collection by IV

7) Surgery which is needed anaesthesia or epidural process

8) The surgery in thoracic cavity , Abdominal cav , Inguinal cav, Eyes and Brain surgery (exept desexing in swine and poultry)

9) Othopedic

10) the process of helping labour in abnomal presentation.

11) Birth control by using hormone via uterine route

12 semen collection for artificial insemination (except poultry)

(๑) การวินิจฉัยโรคโดยใช้กล้องส่องตรวจภายใน

(๒) การวินิจฉัยและรักษาโรคด้วยรังสีหรือคลื่นเสียง

(๓) การฉีดยาเข้าหลอดโลหิต

(๔) การใช้ยาอันตรายตามกฎหมายว่าด้วยการขายยา

(๕) การใช้ยาเสพติดให้โทษตามกฎหมายว่าด้วยยาเสพติดให้โทษ

(๖) การเจาะโลหิตจากหลอดโลหิต

(๗) การผ่าตัดโดยใช้ยาสลบ หรือการฉีดยาเข้าไขสันหลัง

(๘) การผ่าตัดภายในบริเวณช่องท้อง ช่องอก ช่องเชิงกราน ตา หรือสมอง ทั้งนี้ไม่รวมถึงการตอนสุกร และสัตว์ปีก

(๙) การต่อกระดูกโดยวิธีการทางศัลยกรรม

(๑๐) การช่วยคลอดในการคลอดผิดปกติ

(๑๑)การรักษาสัตว์ที่เป็นหมันชั่วคราวด้วยการใช้ยาต่างๆฉีดเข้ามดลูกหรือการกระทำการใดๆต่อรังไข่

(๑๒) การรีดเก็บน้ำเชื้อเพื่อนำไปใช้ในการผสมเทียม ทั้งนี้ไม่รวมถึงการรีดเก็บน้ำเชื้อจากสัตว์ปีก

Edited by BambinA

yep, a vet tech livestock practitioner...

real ivomec is also oily its disgusting actually; i hate the stuff, the smell and feel if it drips on me... blech!!.. thanx bambina now i know i use the right guage needle (actually use 21 for most meds; or the 19)... (ive used the brand u have pictured there, but actually there are variations among brands from different countries and some are really less effective

bina

• 4 months later...

Since we are leaving the country within a few months, we decided to find a new home for our dog a couple of weeks ago and the in-laws agreed to take her as she was well trained and well behaved. She ate but became very sick the second day, spent a few days at the vet`s and died. :o She apparently died of what my wife called the canine version of chickenpox. She had been getting all her shots and had been sterilized with a series of injections but I`m still wondering about this improvised vet and if he was simply injecting her with water or some other useless substance since all his anti-tick injections never worked.

Edited by Tony Clifton

In Canada I used Ivermectin paste to treat my reptiles for snake mites and worms, it is intended for live stock. Not sure if its available here in Thailand but it is ingested by the animal so easy to administer.

Ivermectin is available in Thailand and generally used for heartworm and tick prevention and mange treatment.

Tony, I'm very sorry about your dog.

I've noticed now several times that seemingly healthy dogs get sick when being in a stressfull situation. Stress can trigger underlying disease.

It is possible that your dog was having bloodparasites from ticks already in the blood and that due to stress by change of environment and pack the immune system was not strong enough to keep them in check, hence the dog got sick. Some of the symptoms of tick disease are similar to those of distemper. So, there is a possibility that a wrong diagnosis and treatment has been given.

Despite a dog has been vaccinated, there always is a chance it catches one of the infectious disease it was vaccinated for. How much a vaccine protects a dog depends on the age of the pup at the time of vaccination, state of health the dog was in at the moment of vaccination and on over-vaccination. Many dogs are vaccinated while showing symptoms of disease such as eye discharge, skinproblems, vaccinated right after it received operation such as sterilization (and with this the chance on side-effects increases also considerably). Over-vaccination also does more harm than good.

Then another thing that makes me wonder is that you wrote that your dog has been sterilized 'with a series of injections'. To my knowledge sterilization is when the uterus and/or ovaria are taken out for which it needs to be operated. Injections are given to prevent pregnancy, which needs to be repeated before each time the bitch comes in heat. The latter is actually not quite safe to the female dog, giving a (very) increased risk on uterus infection. Uterus infection can kill a dog in a week if untreated or when treatment comes too late.

Anyway, what ever caused the death of your dog, I'm really sorry for your loss.

Nienke

No, those injections inevitably cause cancer. I had two dogs die from cancer after receiving those injections and the vet who saw my dog (I took her over to Samui as there were no vets on the island in those days and the person who suggested the injections was more like a govt livestock vet nurse) and he said that not every dog that he had seen had cancer had those injections but every dog that had those injections had gotten cancer.