Another Burapha The Best Horror Story

torngseea

I'll keep this short for the sake of my blood pressure.

Last wednesday I went to pick up my boys as usual, about 3.45. When I got to the school I saw my youngest (6 years old) sat in his usual place outside the new building waiting for me. He was crying. I guessed he'd had a falling out with a friend or something and went over, rubbed him on the head and asked him what was wrong. He said his arm hurt. When I looked down I immediately noticed he had a broken arm. I couldn't believe it! Can you?

No teacher sat with him, no phone call to inform us (even though it happened at afternoon break 2 hrs previous!), no transport to hospital for xrays, nothing! NOTHING!!

When I collared his Thai classroom teacher he did a wonderful job of deflecting any responsibility and basically said it was my boys fault for not telling anyone. He said that he had taken him to the medical room and decided after twisting and pushing and pulling that it was just a bruise. When I reminded him that he wasn't a doctor and he had been extremely negligent he said, 'well, if that's what you think that's up to you.' and went to walk away.

Unbelievable!

Anyway, the bottom line is when you leave your child in the care of a supposed professional you don't expect to find them sat unattended, in pain, crying, at the front of the school with a broken arm when you go and pick them up at hometime.

Of course, the worst thing is that nothing will be done about it. When my wife bumped into another Thai teacher from the school yesterday he said that my son shouldn't be so quiet and speak up if there is something wrong. AHHH!!!!

Best summed up by a friend of mine who was present at the time - 'BUNCH OF IDIOTS!'

Edited by torngseea

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last wednesday I went to pick up my boys as usual, about 3.45. When I got to the school I saw my youngest (6 years old) sat in his usual place outside the new building waiting for me. He was crying. I guessed he'd had a falling out with a friend or something and went over, rubbed him on the head and asked him what was wrong. He said his arm hurt. When I looked down I immediately noticed he had a broken arm. I couldn't believe it! Can you?

No teacher sat with him, no phone call to inform us (even though it happened at afternoon break 2 hrs previous!), no transport to hospital for xrays, nothing! NOTHING!!

When I collared his Thai classroom teacher he did a wonderful job of deflecting any responsibility and basically said it was my boys fault for not telling anyone. He said that he had taken him to the medical room and decided after twisting and pushing and pulling that it was just a bruise. When I reminded him that he wasn't a doctor and he had been extremely negligent he said, 'well, if that's what you think that's up to you.' and went to walk away.

Unbelievable!

Anyway, the bottom line is when you leave your child in the care of a supposed professional you don't expect to find them sat unattended, in pain, crying, at the front of the school with a broken arm when you go and pick them up at hometime.

Of course, the worst thing is that nothing will be done about it. When my wife bumped into another Thai teacher from the school yesterday he said that my son shouldn't be so quiet and speak up if there is something wrong. AHHH!!!!

Best summed up by a friend of mine who was present at the time - 'BUNCH OF IDIOTS!'

Sorry I forgot to say:

One bone in his forearm is broken and he has a displaced elbow. He is now in plaster up to his shoulder.

Fortunately there doesn't appear to be any lasting damage done by the incompetent teachers who made him lift it, twist it, push it and pull it.

Unbelievable!

Scary,. :o

I'm very sorry to hear about your kid...this kind of thing makes my BLOOD BOIL.......I'm afraid if I was you I wouldn't let this matter rest.....this kind of negligence is a disgusting symptom in many Thai institutions and should be fought against at every level.

If you don't get a result from the school, I would suggest you instigate a massive publicity campaign on every available farang website, the school should not get away with this.

Imagine how rejected and alone the child felt when everyone brushes aside the lad's pain and then having to wait all that time before being collected......apart from the physical pain the mental anguish is immeasurable.

There IS one thing though.....you MUST decide what you want to achieve BEFORE you start....do you want the school closed? The teacher/staff concerned reprimanded or sacked? Do you want financial compensation? Do you want your boy sent to another school? Do you just want the whole thing made public and a public apology from the governors>?

Decide first and then GO FOR THE JUGULAR!

Unbelievable!

My son is in the same class as your son and he told me what happened when i picked him up from school THE WHOLE INCIDENT IS A TOTAL DISGRACE but sadly nothing suprises me now with this supposed place of learning hence my decison to remove my son at the end of this term. i dont have the time to list all the failures with the school there have been so many comments on the net in the last few months 95 % very negative and things still go from bad to worse and then this. The school is poorly equipped ,dirty the academic / teaching standards have gone down - with a spineless management team whos hands are tied by a tightfisted owner who has not been to the school in years , parents are constantly lied to about so many things and most worryingly i call at the school regularly and so many times students are unsupervised during classes THE BUSINESS (NOT SCHOOL) IS A TOTAL JOKE BUT CERTAINLY NOT HAHA WHEN KIDS ARE IN OBVIOUS DANGER - Something must be done and i would advise you to consult a good lawyer. , i hope your son gets well soon

My son is in the same class as your son and he told me what happened when I picked him up from school THE WHOLE INCIDENT IS A TOTAL DISGRACE

Please will you tell us what happened? Thank you.

Sorry for the delay, no internet at home.

He fell off the climbing frame during afternoon break. He showed me where he landed and it is exactly where there is no protective matting, just exposed concrete, hence the injury. I am often at a local youth centre where I volunteer and have seen numerous skateboarding accidents. As soon as I saw it there was no question that it was broken - his forearm had a 20 degree bend in it with a lump where the bone was protruding, it really was a no brainer.

As far as lawyers, etc. it's certainly your first response when something like this happens but as I've been considering what to do I'm not sure it is the wisest course of action. I've seen too many clearly guilty people slip away from justice because the Thai's close ranks. I have a good relationship with the Thai principle but when my wife talked to him the tables where already starting to turn.

And the english speaking staff are as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike in this kind of situation.

Surely you must have some recourse. Can something like this not be reported to some kind of government department. These schools must have to go through some kind of acceptance procedure in order that they can do business or is it just the case that any one can set up a school without any kind of approval. I would be investigating where to go and whom I should contact. It is obvious that you will get no satisfaction from within the school. As was said before on this thread go for the jugular. These people must be made to understand that they have a responsibility to you and your child that they are legally bound by. Please do not let it go as so many others have. I know that fighting these people can be a nightmare so let someone fight for you.

Last night, I asked two teachers (both UK born) who are neighbours of mine and teach English at this school (that is if it is Burapha BEST school). Neither of them has any knowledge about this incident but said that, about 4 or 5 weeks ago, there was a young boy who had his lower arm broken when another boy trod on it. They weren't sure whether it was an accident or deliberate. However, every pupil has insurance and the boy was taken to hospital and his injury was treated promptly and professionally.

Both of these teachers will ask about this latest incident.

Edited because of spelling mistake

Edited by Taijitu

Surely some action must be taken to insure this never happens again, to your child or any of the other children at the school. The least you must do is inform the other parents, so they are aware of the situation.

I agree 100% - something must be done the the place is a total sham the teachers dont give a shit but who can blame them when the school is run so poorly and they get zero support. Whilst i dont want to tempt fete its only a matter of time until the next accident for sure id guess a child being run over on the corner . Blame firmly lies with the owner(tightfisted toad) and director(spineless wimp)of the school. SEASONS GREETINGS TO ALL.

I agree 100% - something must be done the the place is a total sham the teachers dont give a shit but who can blame them when the school is run so poorly and they get zero support. Whilst i dont want to tempt fete its only a matter of time until the next accident for sure id guess a child being run over on the corner . Blame firmly lies with the owner(tightfisted toad) and director(spineless wimp)of the school. SEASONS GREETINGS TO ALL.

Are we talking about the foreign teachers here...........the Thai teachers, or both?

Are we talking about the foreign teachers here...........the Thai teachers, or both?

Simple answer - from what ive seen first hand BOTH but of course not all who teach there fall into this catogary i know who they are and so should you as you work at the school (hence your constant mails on this site protecting the school)if you dont you must walk around with your eyes and ears closed. You have worked at BEST a reasonably short period of time for my sins i worked there approx 5yrs teaching P1-P5 maths ,sci and geog so i feel i can offer a fair and balanced view any one ignoring the schools decline is just blinkered for now please answer the following questions . 1.How many times have you seen the school owner at the school since you started ? 2.Do you beleive there are teachers working at BEST with dubious qualifications/backgrounds ? 3.Why is it there is now a massive staff turnover compared to 2/3/4 yrs ago and teachers are taking so much time off ill (usually Mondays)?. 4.Are you aware of a mass exodus of teachers and students at the end this term?. 5. Why are so many phillipino teachers coming into the school inturn being passed off as native speakers ?.......PLEASE Steve im not getting at you personally however iam very concerned about the current state of the school effecting my childs education and after recent events the general safety of all the kids who attend.

....I know who they are and so should you as you work at the school (hence your constant mails on this site protecting the school)if you don't you must walk around with your eyes and ears closed. You have worked at BEST a reasonably short period of time for my sins i worked there approx 5yrs teaching P1-P5 maths ,sci and geog so i feel i can offer a fair and balanced view......

Mr. Rambler.....with respect, we don't know each other, either within the Forum or outside, but two of my neighbours, and other people that I have met because of them, do know you. All of these people (four in total) are experienced, committed and dedicated teachers at BEST school and they are adamant that you have at least one personal axe to grind over Burapha School.

I have visited the school and yes, it is shabby in places as the result of the children.......but no shabbier than others. Furthermore, the staff and especially the children were happy, relaxed and open about the various aspects of the school....some bad but mostly good. I received many objective and balanced views from the staff and the pupils and I left with a favourable impression of the school and its achievements.

We must remember that, when it comes to schools, no school can ever be perfect.

Thank you for reading this. :o

....I know who they are and so should you as you work at the school (hence your constant mails on this site protecting the school)if you don't you must walk around with your eyes and ears closed. You have worked at BEST a reasonably short period of time for my sins i worked there approx 5yrs teaching P1-P5 maths ,sci and geog so i feel i can offer a fair and balanced view......

Mr. Rambler.....with respect, we don't know each other, either within the Forum or outside, but two of my neighbours, and other people that I have met because of them, do know you. All of these people (four in total) are experienced, committed and dedicated teachers at BEST school and they are adamant that you have at least one personal axe to grind over Burapha School.

I have visited the school and yes, it is shabby in places as the result of the children.......but no shabbier than others. Furthermore, the staff and especially the children were happy, relaxed and open about the various aspects of the school....some bad but mostly good. I received many objective and balanced views from the staff and the pupils and I left with a favourable impression of the school and its achievements.

We must remember that, when it comes to schools, no school can ever be perfect.

Thank you for reading this. :o

"I have visited the school and yes, it is shabby in places as the result of the children.."......

A comment like this really totally invalidates any thing this person might have to say - IT"S THE KIDS FAULT the the place is shabby - I ask you!!!!!

I suppose it's the kid's fault he broke his arm and received no treatment!?!?!?!?!

I would also question the motives of this poster - naming Names etc is rather threatening in tone.....what is his interest/relationship with the school?

Move your children as quickly as you can!! mine moved last term to Satit English program and have never been happier, costlier but well worth the money, there are many Best Children at Satit now and more on the way I am informed.

A clean respectful learning environment with teachers who seem to care from my observations.

Just take the time to visit and talk with the teachers and staff you will be suprised at the difference.

"I have visited the school and yes, it is shabby in places as the result of the children.."......

A comment like this really totally invalidates any thing this person might have to say - IT"S THE KIDS FAULT the the place is shabby - I ask you!!!!!

I suppose it's the kid's fault he broke his arm and received no treatment!?!?!?!?!

I would also question the motives of this poster - naming Names etc is rather threatening in tone.....what is his interest/relationship with the school?

I hve no axe to grind here and I have no kids in the school.

I do know several parents who have removed their children from this school and are highly critical of the goings on there.

And then there was the recent thread concerning the incident where the kids were vaccinated without their parent's consent - indeed in some cases after the parents had expressly stated NOT to vaccinate them, which resulted in some kids receiving a double dose. Not only was this 'mistake' outrageously careless and dangerous, but the subsequent attitude of school officials beggared belief!

I know that one has to take anything posted here with a degree of scepticism, but to me the evidence from people I happen to know personally is overwhelming, and I would advise all parents to give this school a wide birth,. It really is bad news.

I hve no axe to grind here and I have no kids in the school.

I do know several parents who have removed their children from this school and are highly critical of the goings on there.

And then there was the recent thread concerning the incident where the kids were vaccinated without their parent's consent - indeed in some cases after the parents had expressly stated NOT to vaccinate them, which resulted in some kids receiving a double dose. Not only was this 'mistake' outrageously careless and dangerous, but the subsequent attitude of school officials beggared belief!

I know that one has to take anything posted here with a degree of scepticism, but to me the evidence from people I happen to know personally is overwhelming, and I would advise all parents to give this school a wide birth,. It really is bad news.

Mobi,

The original thread about the broken arm incident is appauling but when you mention about the vaccination it got me very very concerned. My daughter attends the Kindergarden side of the school and stories like these are scary. We took our daughter out of Satit and moved her to BEST to help (we thought!) her English improve but on my last few trips to pick her up I have noticed how badly maintained the place is. I work offshore so my wife did all the investigating for a new school and didn't have any real information that set the alarm bells ringing but reading this has, so we will be taking a closer look when I get home!

Mobi,

The original thread about the broken arm incident is appauling but when you mention about the vaccination it got me very very concerned. My daughter attends the Kindergarden side of the school and stories like these are scary. We took our daughter out of Satit and moved her to BEST to help (we thought!) her English improve but on my last few trips to pick her up I have noticed how badly maintained the place is. I work offshore so my wife did all the investigating for a new school and didn't have any real information that set the alarm bells ringing but reading this has, so we will be taking a closer look when I get home!

If you read here, you will find the full story:

Vaccinations at Burapha

Also if you do a search in the Pattaya thread (Burapha Best) you will find thread upon thread of horror stories.

Good luck in your search for better schools.

Simple answer - from what ive seen first hand BOTH but of course not all who teach there fall into this catogary i know who they are and so should you as you work at the school (hence your constant mails on this site protecting the school)if you dont you must walk around with your eyes and ears closed. You have worked at BEST a reasonably short period of time for my sins i worked there approx 5yrs teaching P1-P5 maths ,sci and geog so i feel i can offer a fair and balanced view any one ignoring the schools decline is just blinkered for now please answer the following questions . 1.How many times have you seen the school owner at the school since you started ? 2.Do you beleive there are teachers working at BEST with dubious qualifications/backgrounds ? 3.Why is it there is now a massive staff turnover compared to 2/3/4 yrs ago and teachers are taking so much time off ill (usually Mondays)?. 4.Are you aware of a mass exodus of teachers and students at the end this term?. 5. Why are so many phillipino teachers coming into the school inturn being passed off as native speakers ?.......PLEASE Steve im not getting at you personally however iam very concerned about the current state of the school effecting my childs education and after recent events the general safety of all the kids who attend.

I will defend the school when some posts are exaggerated or are based on an axe to grind. This is true.

I do not walk around with my eyes shut. There are failings with all schools in one way or another. I work in the new building and I have never taught in the old one so i cannot comment on that.

I can say that in the new building, the place is clean, classrooms are light and cool and the children, generally, have a good attitude.

I am sorry for the OP,s son. Accidents do happen. It is the treatment ( or non treatment ) afterwards that is questionable.

I am not aware of ANY teachers here with " dubious " qualifications. Maybe previously, I don,t know. I do KNOW that criminal record checks from home countries are now insisted upon.......that new applicants have to be interviewed by the MoE big boss in Chonburi personally and checks are made.

I have NEVER seen the owner of the school..............same as I have never seen the owner of my last school..........St. Josephs, Bangna, Bangkok which charged 320,000 baht a year. I,m not quite sure what the relevance of that is supposed to be.

The Filipino teachers? If parents are not happy about them then that is for the parents to decide on the best means of addressing their concerns. Personally.............I find most of them hard working and dedicated to the children. Thats just my opinion of course.

High staff turnover? I have been here 9 months now and true...........I have seen 2 leave. The staff that remain in the new building seem happy enough and we all get along well. It seems..............." settled "

There was a threatened mass exodus at the mid-term break. Fact is.........it never happened. What actually happened was that I ended up with another 4 new children.

I have been informed by others that you have personal reasons and an axe to grind against the school. I don,t know and it is of no concern to me. As a teacher, my children are my concern. Despite the failings that the school does have...........I will still defend this school and its staff against any unreasonable and unjustified attack.

As concerned parents and staff we should be looking for ways to improve the school by consultation and discussion. Posts that just flame the school don,t really address the problems or the issues. Calm debate is needed.

Edited by stevemiddie