Courtesy ?

fresnoboy

I am a little disappointed in some of the people that seem to have arrived in Pattaya/Jomtien. Last Sunday evening, my wife and I went for a walk, returning via Beach Rd. onto Chayapruk Rd. As we were coming up to Soi 4 a motorbike went by us, at speed, and the Thai rider gobbed us. Full in the face, both of us. I know that many people comment on the "gun culture" in the USA but, I can tell you that this would never happen without reprisal. Jai Yen Yen, just doesn't cut it !!!!!!!!! Don't tell me that this sort of thing happens world-wide. I have been all over the USA and Europe, and this has never happened to me or anyone I know. Had this happened in the USA, there would have been an "accident" !

OK, my venting is over now.

I do enjoy Thailand and most of its people but I had to say something.

Not quite sure what you mean. :D If gob = spit what has it got to do with gun culture? :o

I think people would be a lot more polite/courteous to each other if everyone carried a gun...

its unfortunate Mike but Pattaya just isn't representative of the land of smiles anymore, there are some very agressive, rascist Thais out there now. i beleieve we are reaping what we have sowed. farangs have taught them the worst excesses of western behaviour and they are emulating that behaviour. i am very sorry this happened to fresnoboy and his wife.

"I believe we are reaping what we sowed. Farangs have taught them the worst excesses of western behaviour and they are emulating that behaviour" - I have rarely read such apologist rubbish on these boards. Are you saying you - or others you know - have been teaching Thai idiots how to fire spittle from a speeding mechanised conveyance? For shame. Next time teach them some positive things - like how not to institutionalise corruption, to hold democratic elections, to punish outrageous corruption, to improve their shambolic education system, to have a less Xenophobic world view, and to learn to take SOME responsibility for their own actions, instead of face-saving in even the most egregious circumstances.

This land that I have lived in this time for four years and in total eight years more or less, mostly in Pattaya and Bangkok, is called LOS the land of smiles. I feel that this should be changed to LOPS the land of phony smiles. I first came to Pattaya in 1982, the people were honest and fun loving. I have lived in Pattaya now for three years. I see no honesty, I know that sounds overly broad in my perceprtion but I have had experiences. Fun loving? At the expense of the farang. Courtesy? I don't think so. Something has gone wrong with this town. Sure there are nice people here but they are in the minority. I know, why don't you go home? I don't have to go home. I just need to go somewhere else in Thailand. Any suggestions? I live on the dark side of Pattaya, while not as shoot em up as Pattaya and Jomtien, it has it's moments. The coppers here are virtually worthless, as most of us know. Do you feel safe when you go out? I used to. This is about courtesy, it simply doesn't exist anymore. Go to Cancun Mexico to see how tourists can and should be treated. For that matter how expats should be treated, not with contempt but with respect. Granted some expats/tourists don't deserve respect but I believe most do. I know this sounds like I have an axe to grind but I truly don't.

I was checking out at the carrefour a couple of weeks ago and a few lanes across from me some

elderly farang(maybe 65) was getting into it with an off-duty Thai security guard. (He was wearing

the uniform but not carrefour). I missed what started the altercation but it ended up with the

maybe 30-35 year old security guy taunting the old guy. I mean he was saying kee-nook,kee-nook

over and over to this guys face trying to entice him into a fight. All the Thais thought it was hysterical

giggling and chuckling Me? I thought it was pretty hateful and cruel. It appeared the security guy was

just venting his frustration on the elderly farang. A good example it's not always the drunken hooligans

who get what they deserve. There certainly has been a disturbing shift in sentiment here. if you don't

want the people drinking and behaving badly at 5-6 in the morning then stop selling the alcohol. Some

of the worst tourists are the 2-3 week variety who raise all kinds of hel_ and resentment and then when

they leave the more permanent residents usually encounter some of the fallout. i actually think when

you stay longer you settle down and start being more considerate. not in the TATS analysis. :o