Oz Tourist Visa For Thai Husband

Has anyone had experience of applying for a tourist Visa to Australia for an Ozzie with a Thai husband?

We have one baby together and are legally married. We want to take him home to show the family next wet season.

I've established what I need to do to get my son registered as a citizen and get him a passport, but am not sure how they will view my husband's application.

Is there anything we need to demonstrate and do I need money in the bank?

Also, does anyone know if a Thai citizen who has another Nationality through his mother (cf father) must choose between the two when he is older?

E

Hi Rosier,

bit of a twist on the usual applications...but we shall try :D

Supply translated copies of your marriage papers.....you can certify them if you want. Some family snapshots....

A covering letter or Stat Dec explaining that you are intending to take them for holiday purposes only, that you have been living in Thailand and that you want them to meet your family and see something of Oz..

A letter from his employer stating his position and that leave has been granted and he will have employment on his return.

Proof of funds to cover the Holiday period and also where you intend to stay (ie; parents house, hotels etc..)

The most important part for you would be to provide...

A reason to return....

Sufficient funds or access to sufficient funds.

Thats the starting point :o

A copy of your visa, if you have the one year extension that will make it much easer. proof that you live in Thailand as well, and that you also plan on returning.

Good point sbk....and very valid too.....as I said this has a different slant to our usual enquiries, so thanks for adding.

(didnt know you read this bit....hehehe)

thai hubby caught my eye :o

I've got to tell you gburns, from what I have seen, your advice to Aussies on visa issues has always been comprehensive and never anything but very helpful and informative

thai hubby caught my eye :o

I've got to tell you gburns, from what I have seen, your advice to Aussies on visa issues has always been comprehensive and never anything but very helpful and informative

Ahhh...rare praise indeed sbk.....thanks very much for the kind words....

I just try my best....it is a very tense time for the applicants and sponsers.

Thanks everyone for your help. I have the visa, marriage papers etc.

My husband is self-employed though - we have a TAT registered tour business. Would that be sufficient to count as a reason to return?

We can give my parents address as where we will stay but as to funds......how much do they consider sufficient. What if I say my parents will be covering our costs. Do I need some sort of stat dec from them?

What if I say I am intending to work there? Or is that not a good thing to mention on the basis that it could mean we intended to settle there instead....?

E

don't mention working there, get a letter from your parents stating you will be living at their house and they will cover any costs incurred by you and your husband while staying at their house.

Owning his own business is great, my husband owns his own business and house and that is good proof that he intends to return. photocopy every page of your passport showing a thai visa, this gives them an idea of how long you have lived here. And that you also are committed to returning.

Thanks everyone for your help. I have the visa, marriage papers etc.

My husband is self-employed though - we have a TAT registered tour business. Would that be sufficient to count as a reason to return?

We can give my parents address as where we will stay but as to funds......how much do they consider sufficient. What if I say my parents will be covering our costs. Do I need some sort of stat dec from them?

What if I say I am intending to work there? Or is that not a good thing to mention on the basis that it could mean we intended to settle there instead....?

E

I concur with sbk....having his own business is a good reason to return.

As for the parents, I suggest a Stat dec as against a letter, they may need to show proof of their financial status.

Dont mention working, your assumption is correct, it would cast doubt on the validity of the application. As an Oz citizen you can get a job here anyway without telling them.

How much is enough money? enought to cover everyday living costs...

I have taken my Thai wife to Australia 3 times over the last 5 years and prior to us getting married. We have never experienced any difficulties and found the Australian Embassy visa staff to be very helpful and courteous.

When I submitted her application I included a photocopy of our return air tickets and a current bank statement. I advised that we intended to stay some time with each of my grown up daughters from my late wife.

On the first two ocassions we applied for and were granted a single entry 3 month visa. On the third time they granted a multi entry 6 month visa although we only asked for 3 months so doing the right thing obviously counts. Also on the third ocassion we needed the visa on short notice as my Mother had passed away. A senior Officer met us at the front gate of the Embassy and we had my wifes visa within a couple of hours and flew out that same day.

Have a look at the Bangkok Australian embassy website. They do have a couple of times a week when you can make an appointment and go in and discuss your visa needs. :o