Manager Newspaper's Owner Sentenced To Jail On Defamation Suit

george

Funny how what should have been a headline story was buried in the Thai media. Maybe Sondhi and Sonthi could be cell mates?

In all fairness sunrise there are probably afew other events going on inTHiland right now that are a bit more newsworthy. Plus the jailing of a newsman over freedom of speech stuff is somethign Thailand probably dosnt want the International media picking up on. It will not look good for the country

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny how what should have been a headline story was buried in the Thai media. Maybe Sondhi and Sonthi could be cell mates?

As they've both been convicted, it'd be far more interesting if the next Prime Minister Samak and Sondhi shared a cell in the new Defamation Wing of Bang Kwang Prison. In the fighting for the bottom bunk category, Sondhi would take him in first minute of the third round.

As they've both been convicted, it'd be far more interesting if the next Prime Minister Samak and Sondhi shared a cell in the new Defamation Wing of Bang Kwang Prison. In the fighting for the bottom bunk category, Sondhi would take him in first minute of the third round.

I'd go for top bunk.

Samak, already full of piss and vinegar, may very well be suffering from incontinence at that age. :o , he likes spicy food too! icon8.gif.

A military coup based on lies that a commission appointed by the military can't even uphold - you are very correct, a news story the world will relish!

No, they'd run out of words trying to explain how the evil junta regime can convict the coup's most outspoken proponent.

It just doesn't compute.

Why don't our posters mention Sondhi's conviction everytime they start ranting about military appointed tribunals bla bla bla.

A military coup based on lies that a commission appointed by the military can't even uphold - you are very correct, a news story the world will relish!

No, they'd run out of words trying to explain how the evil junta regime can convict the coup's most outspoken proponent.

It just doesn't compute.

Why don't our posters mention Sondhi's conviction everytime they start ranting about military appointed tribunals bla bla bla.

Plus- if you want to know why some of us don't mention Sondhis conviction bla bla bla- may I suggest that you reread post 9 in this thread.

Edited by blaze

Post #9?

Generals playing golf with Thaksin? No comments.

Sondhi got busted for something he said long before the coup.

When the news broke out I was told that Sondhi made false accusations and at that moment he was wearing a shirt implying that he was speaking on behalf of the King. I haven't really dissected English press reports.

If you mean that his conviction is part of a plan to bring Thaksin back, hatched by the generals themselves - no [polite] comments either.

The fact is the junta has no clout with judiciary. Judges don't go to MoD or even Prem himself to get their annual advice. Separation of powers, you know, never keep all your eggs in one basket.

Sunrise please realise that the world or the western world anyway does not take kindly to newpaper men being jailed on freedom of speech issues. This interntaionally would have nothing to do with what the coup was about or not about but would be purely an issue of freedom of speech and theu use of courts/jail to deny it. Whether one likes the man making the speech becomes irrelevent.

I guess once the political situation clams down we will get back the same old sue and counter sue for a billion baht thingy.

As my wife once said why not just sue for the most humiliating public apoplogy and one baht damages if it were just about right and wrong instead of a way of trying to force people to back down (try talking about Samak and 1976) or to financially ruin. This is one apsect of Thai politcs and public life that I personally find abhorent not to mention a waste of time and of course a driect way of stymying free speech. Why not a constitutional ammendment to allow all free speech?

I believe H.M. intimated just such a radical thught during his birthday address in 2006. Looks like no-one in authority was paying attention. Still, in theory even HM is open to the lese majeste catch all, as it's designed to protect a monarchical system, not the monarch.

Remember the scene with the bloody peasants in Monty Python and the Holy Grail?

Help, help I'm being repressed! Come and see the violence inherent in he system!!

Interesting result, for those who believe that the courts are controlled by the junta, or Democrats or PAD ?

Kinda makes it harder to argue, that Thaksin fled his own court cases, because he wouldn't get a fair trial here. :o

This verdict should come as no surprise- it was probably no surprise to Sondhi.

In his interview with Shawn Crispin- which is still available by doing a search on this forum- he spoke very critically- in fact totally defamatorily- not of Thaksin- but of some of the very wealthy families close to the military which he claims bankrolled the PAD and in fact, urged him to arrange to have some of the PAD demonstrators shed some serious blood- he even, by refusing to answer when a specific family name was brought up- subtely named one of them. He was also extremely critical of the military.

Even Thaksin never made such damning allegations against the military or the 'old families'.

When asked, "How do you feel in retrospect that your protests were effectively co-opted for the political purposes of the feudal elite?"

He replied: "I'm a threat to them now. They're very scared of me now."

And we know what Thais (not just Thais) do when they are scared- they neutralize the object of their fear.

It's as if he knew this was coming down the pike- and he knew it sure wasn't coming from people sympathetic to Thaksin.

The Generals may well play golf with Thaksin in the future- but Sonthi L? Not a efin chance. His goose was cooked a long time ago.

What looks like some crumbs tossed to the pro Thaksin people- could also be seen as a sacrifice made on behalf of the feudal elites.

Sondthi was ordained into the monkhood this year. There are very real threats to his life.

Sunrise please realise that the world or the western world anyway does not take kindly to newpaper men being jailed on freedom of speech issues. This internationally would have nothing to do with what the coup was about or not about but would be purely an issue of freedom of speech and theu use of courts/jail to deny it. Whether one likes the man making the speech becomes irrelevent.

Reading Sonthis statement (in his own organ) he does seem remarkably naive having gone paddling in the shark tank. I think his involvement was a little more than as a "newspaperman" as he freely admits. He was up there in the silly bandana, ranting with the best of em. His comments now are measured to put him in the best light as a liberal intellectual. He didn't come across that way last year but hey power is intoxicating stuff as they all know. So as we knew before its all about power and money for the players and the rest of us can get on with the rice harvest. It was ever so. Still it's good to talk....

Still the peasants 'll getcha in the end. Look at the Seven Samurai. Look at Nepal for that matter. I wonder where Thailand is on the Maoist timetable? Better call Bejing....

Post #9?

Generals playing golf with Thaksin? No comments.

Sondhi got busted for something he said long before the coup.

When the news broke out I was told that Sondhi made false accusations and at that moment he was wearing a shirt implying that he was speaking on behalf of the King. I haven't really dissected English press reports.

If you mean that his conviction is part of a plan to bring Thaksin back, hatched by the generals themselves - no [polite] comments either.

The fact is the junta has no clout with judiciary. Judges don't go to MoD or even Prem himself to get their annual advice. Separation of powers, you know, never keep all your eggs in one basket.

Yes he was arrested, (and from reports, for very good reason) before the coup- but the judgement, which was rendered in the final days of the NLA/CNS will be, I think, applauded more vigorously by elements in the anti-Thaksin camp than in the pro-Thaksin/PPP camp.

A plan to bring Thaksin back? No way. I don't know if it was a plan at all- but I do know that it might have muzzled a very loose cannon- one whose barrel can swing with equal ease to friend and foe alike.

You'll find a lot of Thai folks who love Thaksin and the remember the Thaksin years as great years for modern Thailand. Likewise, you will find many who were quite fond of the military coup and prospered greatly in the phenomenal transfer of wealth that has occurred in the last 15 months here in Thailand. You will find very, very few who are fond of Sondhi and his ridiculous antics. Pro and anti-Thaksin folks alike would prefer he just shut up.

You'll find a lot of Thai folks who love Thaksin and the remember the Thaksin years as great years for modern Thailand. Likewise, you will find many who were quite fond of the military coup and prospered greatly in the phenomenal transfer of wealth that has occurred in the last 15 months here in Thailand. You will find very, very few who are fond of Sondhi and his ridiculous antics. Pro and anti-Thaksin folks alike would prefer he just shut up.

Transfer of wealth?

Yes he was arrested, (and from reports, for very good reason) before the coup- but the judgement, which was rendered in the final days of the NLA/CNS will be, I think, applauded more vigorously by elements in the anti-Thaksin camp than in the pro-Thaksin/PPP camp.

Sure thing.

I was just saying the "junta is evil" folks should realise that the junta is not as allmighty as they think. Sondhi might not be coup's poster boy but he's the one who started it, and they can't even protect him from "military appointed" courts.

Sure thing.

I was just saying the "junta is evil" folks should realise that the junta is not as allmighty as they think. Sondhi might not be coup's poster boy but he's the one who started it, and they can't even protect him from "military appointed" courts.

Plus- if by 'they' you mean the military- why would they even WANT to protect him?- they would want just the opposite. This is the verdict the military and the feudal elites that SL refers to have been praying for. Just for the record- I don't believe for one moment that there was direct interference in this judgement. Only that even were interference an option, neither the military nor the elites that he offended would choose that option.

If this same verdict was levied against a vocal and prominent supporter of the juntaq- a strong supporter of the feudal elites- a close friend of the Generals- then I think the point your point would be made.

Edited by blaze

Plus- if by 'they' you mean the military- why would they even WANT to protect him?- they would want just the opposite.

Because now it appears they (the military) based the coup on court certified lies. Sondhi is no threat to them, small fry, competely irrelevant.

Plus- if by 'they' you mean the military- why would they even WANT to protect him?- they would want just the opposite.

Because now it appears they (the military) based the coup on court certified lies.

Interesting what you say here- though maybe I misunderstand- I recall very shortly after the coup, Gen Sonthi saying with genuine exasperation- that the blatant evidence of Thaksin's misdeeds was not so blatant after all- almost like he was saying- that bloody SL just might have sold us a bill of goods.

Interesting what you say here- though maybe I misunderstand- I recall very shortly after the coup, Gen Sonthi saying with genuine exasperation- that the blatant evidence of Thaksin's misdeeds was not so blatant after all- almost like he was saying- that bloody SL just might have sold us a bill of goods.

Maybe - just maybe. Any way the guy had balls. Remember the climate of fear that existed in Thailand a couple of years ago. People seem to forget that.

SL was one of the very few to publicly attack Toxin.

Maybe - just maybe. Any way the guy had balls. Remember the climate of fear that existed in Thailand a couple of years ago. People seem to forget that.

True whatver people think of him and most seem to dislike him, and whatever his motivations, Sondhi L was actually one of the few to attack Thaksin when to do so invited billion baht defamation suits and a loss of advertsing revenue to any media outlet. Not to mention the gangs that showed up at Lumpini early on when Sondhi L was first speaking. The guy certainly did have balls and from the way he has contiued to lambast both Thaksin and the Junta he seems to continue to have balls although fewer and fewer friends.

True whatver people think of him and most seem to dislike him, and whatever his motivations, Sondhi L was actually one of the few to attack Thaksin when to do so invited billion baht defamation suits and a loss of advertsing revenue to any media outlet. Not to mention the gangs that showed up at Lumpini early on when Sondhi L was first speaking. The guy certainly did have balls and from the way he has contiued to lambast both Thaksin and the Junta he seems to continue to have balls although fewer and fewer friends.

hel_l hath no fury like a businessman scorned...

Im sure his motivations were not the highest to say the least, but who else was going to criticise Thaksin at the time? The fourth estate was too busy firing journalists who offended the government of the day. One doesnt have to like or agree with someone to stand up for their right to protest peacefully. I am amazed that so few on here have even commented on the freedom of expression angle of what has happened to Sonhi L

There are journalists in Thailand that heartily supported the military coup and there are journalists in Myanmar that heartily support the military government there. They are hardly recognized as free speech heroes throughout the world. They are usually regarded as military patsies.

Edited by sunrise07

I am amazed that so few on here have even commented on the freedom of expression angle of what has happened to Sonhi L

How do you mean? If you mean regarding his conviction for slandering Thaksin in this most recent case- I don't see how a court could have found otherwise and kept a straight face. Freedom of expression doesn't entitle citizens to publicly state as fact that their enemy tried to have them assasinated without providing proof.

I mean shessh- there's gotta be some limits...

Edited by blaze

I would expect that people who become politicians do so expecting to sometimes be accused of things or called names, and to have to accept the mud-slinging, which private citizens do not. It is all part of their chosen 'game'.

For Thaksin to counter political opponents , by threatening them with massive slander-cases, rather than reasoned arguements, was not helpful to democracy in Thailand. Free expression had been deliberately undermined in this way, by the previous PM, for reasons which one can only speculate upon.

The irony of one of Thaksin's leading critics being threatened with jail, after losing one of these cases, while the man himself is on-the-run from the Thai courts, seems to me typical of the Thaksin-era. :o

I would expect that people who become politicians do so expecting to sometimes be accused of things or called names, and to have to accept the mud-slinging, which private citizens do not. It is all part of their chosen 'game'.

For Thaksin to counter political opponents , by threatening them with massive slander-cases, rather than reasoned arguements, was not helpful to democracy in Thailand. Free expression had been deliberately undermined in this way, by the previous PM, for reasons which one can only speculate upon.

The irony of one of Thaksin's leading critics being threatened with jail, after losing one of these cases, while the man himself is on-the-run from the Thai courts, seems to me typical of the Thaksin-era. :o

Publicly accuse any one in this country of any other country of having arranged to have you murdered and watch the lawyers get busy. Whether or not you are a polititian.